SiouxSports.com Forum

TJ Oshie

sioux rube

I love the Blues forum on that site. There is a thread called something like "Who the hell is TJ Oshie?" started when he was drafted. All their fans rip the Blues for drafting some unknown loser from some USHS team and talk about how the Blues just totally wasted the pick. Now in the same thread, people are praising the Blues for the pick and talking about how great Oshie is. :love:

Hmmmmm, that sounds very familiar to what was being said on this board a couple years ago. Not about wasting a recruit, but more like "who the hell is this kid". :huh:

THETRIOUXPER,

At the risk of taking the thread off-course (that NEVER happens here), I assume you see some Section 8 hockey. Have you seen enough of Forney to have an opinion on whether he can contribute next year? He hasn't had the blowout season Oshie had last year, but he's had a pretty dominant year anyway. He's projected to be drafted around the same area, perhaps a little higher, although his draft position will be impacted by his larger size. Just curious. Thanks.

THETRIOUXPER,

At the risk of taking the thread off-course (that NEVER happens here), I assume you see some Section 8 hockey. Have you seen enough of Forney to have an opinion on whether he can contribute next year? He hasn't had the blowout season Oshie had last year, but he's had a pretty dominant year anyway. He's projected to be drafted around the same area, perhaps a little higher, although his draft position will be impacted by his larger size. Just curious. Thanks.

I haven't seen as much this year as in the past (section 8 hockey), but I have seen Forney play on a couple occasions. I think he does some good things with the puck when he has it, goes to the net, distributes to teammates, ect. Sometimes when he doesn't have the puck he tends to stand around. That may be as simple as a coaching issue or whatever. I'm not knocking the kid here so please don't anyone take it that way, I think he has tremendous talent, just needs to pursue the play a little harder sometimes. I don't think comparing him to TJ or anyone else is fair, they are different players, however, do I think he make's the jump to D1 fresh from high school and has an impact ? That may be a stretch, but hey, I'm not a hockey coach, just a fan. Aaron Marvin is also gonna be a great player, already is, hope the Sioux can wrap him up as well, he has size, good hands, and can play the physical style of game. I will tell you one thing for sure, within the next couple of years, with Vandy, Forney, and possibly Marvin, we're going to have some monsters on the offensive side of the puck. Hopefully TJ, Toews, and some of those guys stick around, it could get real fun watching these guys.

I was at that game in Colorado Springs. We were listening to the post game on our way back to Denver and he was awarded the assist about an hour after the game. Nice catch Morley. Peter Senja

Actually, I think the game you're talking about was in Grand Forks. Senja was given an assist after the game was over that kept his scoring streak alive. However, as with all assists, it happened after representatives from both teams reviewed the tape and mutually agreed that he deserved to be credited. Contrary to popular belief, that's the way it works. I know. I was there.

Actually, I think the game you're talking about was in Grand Forks. Senja was given an assist after the game was over that kept his scoring streak alive. However, as with all assists, it happened after representatives from both teams reviewed the tape and mutually agreed that he deserved to be credited. Contrary to popular belief, that's the way it works. I know. I was there.

Actually it was the game that took place on 1/31/03 in the springs. The Sioux went up 3 to 0 in the first and ended up losing 5 to 3. I remember it well. It was a heart breaker. CC scored an empty netter and Senja was given an assist after the game. I am not saying he didn't deserve it. But it was awarded well after the game. I respect your opinion PCM, but I was at this game in the Springs and do believe it is the one Mory was talking about. It was the assist that kept the streak alive.

Actually it was the game that took place on 1/31/03 in the springs. The Sioux went up 3 to 0 in the first and ended up losing 5 to 3. I remember it well. It was a heart breaker. CC scored an empty netter and Senja was given an assist after the game. I am not saying he didn't deserve it. But it was awarded well after the game. I respect your opinion PCM, but I was at this game in the Springs and do believe it is the one Mory was talking about. It was the assist that kept the streak alive.

My point still stands. Nobody gets assists "off the bench."

My point still stands. Nobody gets assists "off the bench."

I agree that nobody gets an assist on the bench. Senja was on the ice when the empty netter was scored. The question was if he touched the puck or not. I am just surprised someone else remembers the game. The only thing I care about right now is tomorrow's game. 3-2 Sioux

I agree that nobody gets an assist on the bench. Senja was on the ice when the empty netter was scored. The question was if he touched the puck or not.

As I explained, if there's a question on scoring, the tape is reviewed to determine who should be credited for goals and assists. Representatives of both teams have to agree on it. Nobody gets "a phantom assist off the bench."

That's my point.

Wow, Oshie is an animal. What he did to Paukovich was a thing of beauty. And that break away after fighting through the stick work. WOW... He is the most tenacious forechecker I have seen in some time. I is going to be awesome with a couple more years of skating and stickhandling.

Wow, Oshie is an animal. What he did to Paukovich was a thing of beauty. And that break away after fighting through the stick work. WOW... He is the most tenacious forechecker I have seen in some time. I is going to be awesome with a couple more years of skating and stickhandling.

Although this isn't related to his hockey skills, it does reflect on his character. One of the things I most enjoy about watching Oshie is that when he scores, he acts like he's done it before. He usually just raises his arms briefly, gets a few helmet taps and then back to business. Last night he hardly even smiled after his goal (a sweet goal at that), which is a sign to me that he is into the game and not concerned about his stats, but more so with how the team is faring. I don't recall seeing any of the jersey popping, glass crashing or anything like that. I don't mind some emotion and celebration but some players act like they just scored the game winning goal in the Stanley Cup finals EVERY TIME they score, which gets to be a little absurd at times.

Although this isn't related to his hockey skills, it does reflect on his character. One of the things I most enjoy about watching Oshie is that when he scores, he acts like he's done it before. He usually just raises his arms briefly, gets a few helmet taps and then back to business. Last night he hardly even smiled after his goal (a sweet goal at that), which is a sign to me that he is into the game and not concerned about his stats, but more so with how the team is faring. I don't recall seeing any of the jersey popping, glass crashing or anything like that. I don't mind some emotion and celebration but some players act like they just scored the game winning goal in the Stanley Cup finals EVERY TIME they score, which gets to be a little absurd at times.

We don't really have any show boats on our team that celebrate excessively. Except for the Chorney jersey-pop incident vs. the goophs, and Lammy's glass rattling with his stick. I may be going off track with this but I'm going to tell this story. A couple of years ago I went to the Warroad vs. EGF game in EGF. The Green Wave players double and triple teamed TJ most of the night, and did a good job keeping him out of the score book. Towards the end of the game EGF pulled their goalie. TJ finally swiped one and took off up the ice, and tripped. As he was sliding he did a kind of "pool cue" shot and the puck went in the empty net. He jumped up and hiked up his breezers and then did a double fist pump in the air. I remember sitting there just cracking up. The celebration wasn't meant to be excessive it was just one of those weird, funny hockey deals. I'll never forget it.