SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. AA

Let'sGoHawks!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Herald stated that this was not officially the 2nd half of the season yet. However, it was our catch up games to catch up with other teams in the WCHA standings, so we did need the points.

what part of Christmas break didn't you get? Regardless of actual # of WCHA games played....the 3 week break over Christmas IS considered moving to the 2nd 1/2 of the season...

Gotta say, this is not what I had expected tonight. I know the boys are VERY young. I know that three of them are dog tired and one of those three is still probably very sore. I know another is probably suffering from celebrating a gold medal last night. But it sounds like they played MORE than well enough to win, just didn't get the bounces. These things happen. The important thing is to learn from it and NEVER, EVER QUIT!

Here's a summary of Hakstol's post-game comments:

Lawson was the story of the game. You come into a building against a team that hasn't had much success offensively and give up a couple of quick goals.

We gave them 7 minutes of power plays in the first 10 minutes. We got behind 2-0 and had to play catchup against an extremely hot goaltender.

I thought we needed a goal toward the end of the first peroid. We had a pretty good second period but couldn't get anything past Lawson. There were rebounds to have, but we didn't get to them.

When you lose, some negatives get emphasized and I see a lot of them. This is a tough loss, not one we can take lightly. A great effort with 50 shots, but we had to win this game.

We had some guys with heavy legs, but they actually created a lot of opportunites. You can't control how the other goalie plays.

We had to get a couple of saves, there's no question about that. Phil needs to make some saves on the pucks he can see. He's coming back tomorrow night and we'll need a good performance from him.

I didn't think the penalty against Watkins was more than a 2-minute. Look at it on videotape. It shouldn't have been a penalty. There was a hit from behind on T.J. that was blatant.

Tonight was a night we especially needed to roll four lines. Oshie didn't show any tired legs, but Toews did.

Tomorrow night is a must win in January. We need better play in net. We need to finish and get rebounds. It will help tomorrow night if we can play with the lead.

bottom line is Phil (also known as "LAMMY" but I think that sounds gay) is 2-5 on the season. Yeah - he's had some tough breaks in losses but c'mon!) I don't think he deserves to get 1/2 the starts anymore...he's a solid backup but just that...a backup!

When the starter is hurt, the backup is the goalie. He'll be getting more than half the starts until Parise can return. Any word on that?

Well that stinks. Really wish the Sioux would play all of the game and not just the last 10 minutes. They really needed tonight, glad to see it wasnt a shutout but I hope Hak and a few upperclassmen put some fire under their skates for tomorrow. World Juniors guys, I can understand. Toews you're excused..CanadiEn beer is way too much fun to pass up...:D...but as for the rest of the Sioux...play with some heart Saturday guys and go for the split.

After tonight I'm only cautiously optimistic for the rest of the season.

Any word on Jordan? Here's hoping he comes back soon.

As always...Go Sioux!

What is the deal with UND's January record the last 5 or 6 years? Really. It's been awful.

The freshmen excuse is only good for half a season. Frankly, I'm getting tired of hearing how "talented" this team is. How about hearing how "gritty" they are, or how "determined"? Has UND become the Golden Goofers of the 90's?

Yikes 5-3 was the final score?

A sound thrashing was what we got. Maybe tonight's game we can come to the ice with a sound wake up call so we can put more goals behind Lawson than behind Phil. I mean, let's face it, I like Phil and all, but if he plays like that (and the defense plays like that as well) against Minny next week? Wow. The Gopher fans are going to be all over this site trolling simply because it will be the easiest reg. season sweep the Gophers have had for a long time.

Shore up the D, shore up the O, shore up tonight's game. Period.

I knew I shouldn't have got out of bed this morning. It would be nice to wake up and read that a Sioux goaltender was the difference in a game again. As I said against Harvard I am getting sick and tired of reading that the other teams goaltender was unbelievable. :D

Yikes 5-3 was the final score?

A sound thrashing was what we got. Maybe tonight's game we can come to the ice with a sound wake up call so we can put more goals behind Lawson than behind Phil. I mean, let's face it, I like Phil and all, but if he plays like that (and the defense plays like that as well) against Minny next week? Wow. The Gopher fans are going to be all over this site trolling simply because it will be the easiest reg. season sweep the Gophers have had for a long time.

Shore up the D, shore up the O, shore up tonight's game. Period.

I don't think Gopher fans take anything for granted when we play the Sioux. For the most part the Sioux have had our number the last few years. Don't worry, your team will wake up. If they don't put it together tonight a series at Mariucci (with a Gopher sweep from last month still fresh in their minds) might be just what they need to fire them up. If the Sioux don't get at least three of the next six points I would be concerned. Then again, it's only January.

Here's a summary of Hakstol's post-game comments:

Lawson was the story of the game. You come into a building against a team that hasn't had much success offensively and give up a couple of quick goals.

We gave them 7 minutes of power plays in the first 10 minutes. We got behind 2-0 and had to play catchup against an extremely hot goaltender.

I thought we needed a goal toward the end of the first peroid. We had a pretty good second period but couldn't get anything past Lawson. There were rebounds to have, but we didn't get to them.

When you lose, some negatives get emphasized and I see a lot of them. This is a tough loss, not one we can take lightly. A great effort with 50 shots, but we had to win this game.

We had some guys with heavy legs, but they actually created a lot of opportunites. You can't control how the other goalie plays.

We had to get a couple of saves, there's no question about that. Phil needs to make some saves on the pucks he can see. He's coming back tomorrow night and we'll need a good performance from him.

I didn't think the penalty against Watkins was more than a 2-minute. Look at it on videotape. It shouldn't have been a penalty. There was a hit from behind on T.J. that was blatant.

Tonight was a night we especially needed to roll four lines. Oshie didn't show any tired legs, but Toews did.

Tomorrow night is a must win in January. We need better play in net. We need to finish and get rebounds. It will help tomorrow night if we can play with the lead.

Thanks, PCM. Sounds like Hak is setting the tone.