SiouxSports.com Forum

Finley out for 2-6 weeks

siouxnami

I saw this buried in another thread out wanted to bring it out. Thanks Goon.

This is big, because Finley will be out for 2-6 and Chorney, Lee will be at World Juniors.

This leaves:

Jones

Smaby

Radke

Marvin

Foyt

Alexander

Could be interesting against Harvard.

Edit: Anyone know if the R/L D works with these 6 or will we have an off hand pairing?

Edited by siouxnami

My buddy noticed in the 3rd period on Saturday we hadn't seen Finley for quite a long time. Maybe that was because he was injured......

Now that you mention it, I remember a play where the gophers brought the puck over the blue line and took a slapshot. I thought it was either Smaby or Lee because he looked pretty tall, and completely forgot about Finley.

Anyway, it looked like the Sioux D put his hand down to block the shot, and the shot nailed his hand. Or at least I thought it was his hand at the time. The Sioux player immediately showed that his hand/arm was hurt bad and skated straight off the ice and I think Woog or Frank mentioned he ran straight down the tunnel.

Since my mind was thinking Smaby or Lee, later when they got back on the ice I forgot about this incident, assuming it wasn't as serious as it looked. But I'd be willing to bet this was Finley, and that he took the puck in the arm.

I think that was actually Fabain that took the puck in the hand. He was out there a couple shifts later. Though of course I could be mistaken too.

It was Fabian and he did return for his next shift.

I'm really disappointed that Finley is out. He would have received lots of ice time the next few games and I wanted to see how he would respond.

This does create an opportunity for other players. I'm especially interested in seeing Alexander again. I thought he looked good in the exhibition game with Manitoba. He skates well and moves the puck.

You almost have to think Irmen had something to do with it.

Hey, no lighthearted jabs. When I heard of Finley's injury, I immediatly thought of poor Goli's wrist, broken last year by a wicked slash by a cheap UND player, almost certainly an overage Canadian.

As for Finley (and at the risk of jinxing him), he has seemed much better this year at avoiding the penalty box than his predecessor monsters were as freshmen. I'm thinking mainly of Commie and Greene, who seemed unable to rein in their aggression. Hopefully Finley will start to work some punishment into his game, too.

Hey, no lighthearted jabs. When I heard of Finley's injury, I immediatly thought of poor Goli's wrist, broken last year by a wicked slash by a cheap UND player, almost certainly an overage Canadian.

As for Finley (and at the risk of jinxing him), he has seemed much better this year at avoiding the penalty box than his predecessor monsters were as freshmen. I'm thinking mainly of Commie and Greene, who seemed unable to rein in their aggression. Hopefully Finley will start to work some punishment into his game, too.

I was serious. He was virtually out of control. Slashing after scoring, high hits, etc...

He doesn't spend a lot of time in the box considering those you reference, but I also think he is far less physical than I thought he'd be, and it is only more apparent by comparing him to those same people.

I'd almost hate to say this, but our defense looks a lot like Minnesota's. Last year we were heavy on defensive defensemen and heavy hitters at that. This year... we have a LOT more scoring D. Time will tell where everything ends up, whether we'll continue being a hard hitting defensive unit or whether we'll mold into a more total offense style like Minnesota's. I hope we go back to the heavy hitting. I love to see the lost looks on the hit player's face as he rearrangehis his helmet upon getting back up.

This defense isn't made up to be a heavy hitting defense. Doesn't mean they can't be aggressive and physical, but they'll never look like last year's defense and we need to be careful what we ask for. And not forget that in some past years we (at least I) often felt we really lacked the offensive punch from the blueline.

• 1 month later...
Just curious but how has Finley looked after coming back from the injury and his overall development this year? I see that he had 24 PIMs this weekend, heh.

I think he's done very well. Considering he's suppose to be a senior in high school this year, I think the coaches are very please with his development. Typically it takes big defensemen at least one year of juniors after high school to get ready to play in the WCHA. I'd say he's about a year ahead of where most people thought he'd be. I think Mike Commodore was 17 when he first arrived at UND, and I'd say that Finley is farther along than Mike was in his first season.

I've watched him for 2 games on the tube and 1 in person the last couple of weeks and he's looked all right for a freshman D. He also appears to be playing with a little more authority than when I saw him on the tube earlier this season. His confidence appears to be growing (if one can make that assumption from watching someone play).

I've watched him for 2 games on the tube and 1 in person the last couple of weeks and he's looked all right for a freshman D. He also appears to be playing with a little more authority than when I saw him on the tube earlier this season. His confidence appears to be growing (if one can make that assumption from watching someone play).

I agree with this. Every game he plays now, it seems like the hesitation he started the year off with is ebbing from his play. He's starting to use his body more and his character is starting to emerge. He's nowhere near where I hope he'll be when he's looked upon as "veteran leadership" (even if he doesn't wear a letter), but I think he's doing a lot better than Commodore did his freshman year so far.