SiouxSports.com Forum

World Jr.s

Goon

A few things:

The medal-round set-up is brutal for the 3-6 teams. Play a tough quarterfinal and then move on the next day to play a rested top seed, Canada in this case. The boys could get pounded tomorrow, but with continued strong goaltending perhaps they can keep it close.

I hope Blais takes the three Sioux players' skates away until Friday. Seven games is a lot, including four in the last six days. They are going to be gassed.

That's right, jk. Tough to make the gold medal game without finishing #1 in your pool.

The Canadian crowd at Halifax was cheering for the Czechs, although I'm sure they'd rather beat the USA themselves. Would be big to beat the Canadians on their own ice, but that will be difficult.

Here's a stats page for the WJC: http://icehockey.iihf.net/0203/tournaments/W20.asp

At any rate, the US will play a medal game this weekend.

What's really impressive IMO is that Zach seems to be holding his own in a number of offensive categories against some very strong talent. Greene's slacking. He's behind some Euro now for PIM. Lazy ... :(

I hope they come back and Blais is somewhat easy on them, given how much practice and playing they're doing now. Then again, if we get swamped badly by CC, the entire team will probably pay for it.

Looks like Canada won 3-2. Seemed to be a hell of a game. USA plays Finland for the Bronze. Looks like an overall good tournament showing for the USA and the UND players. Let's hope the Sioux can get the win against CC on Saturday with out these guys who will need a bit of a rest when they get back.

I was at the game in Halifax last night. It was a hard fought game by all the guys on Team USA. They were not intimidated by the totally rabid Canadian crowd. Bobby Goepfert was awesome, and has played well throughout the tournament.

On all of the reviews in the media, no one in Canada is mentioning the US goal which was disallowed. It was waved off because it was supposedly redirectly by a high stick. That would have given the US the lead at the time. They showed video replays of everything during the game at the Metro center, except that play.

The Canadian team isn't as good as the hype. The Russians will take them in the final, unless they get their goals waved off also.

Saw that disallowed goal on the WJC Live Action update during the game, but teamline wasn't working at the time, so don't know if the US broadcasters questioned the call or not.

Maybe they showed a replay on the YES broadcast. Anyone watching?

It looks like the US just lost the bronze medal game to the Finns, 3-2. They tried to pull an REA comeback but fell just shy. Down 3-0 in the last five minutes, Ryan Suter scored, then Brown scored from Parise and Shannon with 2 minutes left. With the goalie pulled, apparently the US was all over the Finns but couldn't put it in. It had to be tough to be completely up emotionally after the electric Canada game.

From everything I've read, Parise impressed most everyone who watched him there, and he will probably move up the draft rankings, perhaps into the top 10. Apparently the Canadian broadcasters had nice things to say about Greene, calling him the US's best PK defender. Considering he wasn't even invited to the summer evaluation camp (at least as far as I know), making this team and playing so well is a great achievement for him. Matt Jones was apparently nothing but solid, which comes as no surprise to us.

I don't mean for this to take anything away from the players, who obviously are most responsible for their growth, but it sure says nice things about the Sioux program that the guys played so well there. Greene's improvement from the USHL to being one of the best 19-year old US defensemen was a big leap. Parise played with a lot of these guys in the under-18 tourney in the Spring. At that time, he was outscored by (I think, just my recollection) O'Sullivan, Eaves and Sterling. Eaves was hurt and didn't play here, but O'Sullivan and Sterling were nonfactors, at least on the scoresheet.

If the players read this board, congratulations on a great tournament and thanks for representing the US so well.

And although the first CC series is complete, it is especially interesting considering the many CC fans who felt, going into last weekend, that the loss of their two players, who didn't receive glowing reviews, was the equivalent of UND losing three players! According to the review in this thread by an impartial party, that doesn't seem to be the case!

Oh by the way consider that hockey expert Santa Lucia says that UND is much further behind C.C. in talent. That C.C. is way more talented and good and that their schedule is way more brutal, blah, blah, blah...

In addition to that he is trying to wish UND into a losing season...

I said it once and I say it again. UND was without their player equilivent (sp) to Sejna anyone that thinks Zack isn't as good as him in on crack. Zack is 5 years younger, hum who would you rather have eh? I think UND's defensemen are better than C.C. (am i biased yes) actually I think UND is equal to C.C. in every catagory except goal tending. Honestly we suck in that department...

During the first period of game two UND beat up C.C. flame away if you would like...

Goon