SiouxSports.com Forum

Hobey Baker Memorial Award

LB#11

Spirko will likely be here for 4 years. I really like him alot, he is fun to watch. But I don't think he is the type of impact player that could even be a candidate for the Hobey. ;)

I dunno. If Spirko is solid the rest of this year, continues to improve and stays healthy, I could see him as a viable Hobey candidate by the time he's a senior, assuming he's here that long.

I think that the best shot that the Sioux will have for Hobey this year is Stafford. Why? Because numbers talk, and his numbers are good nationally, and could potentially improve given a relatively slow start. A few more 6 point weekends should to the trick...

Ryan Miller was playing regularly for the Buffalo Sabres and had a 6-4-0 record before being injured last month. Jeff Panzer is playing in Switzerland.

What's that tell us about who was robbed? :D

Won the Hobey:

Peter Sejna 82 pts

Jason Krog 85 pts

Cris Drury 57 pts

Brendan Morrison 78 pts

Brian Bonin 81 pts

Didn't win the Hobey:

Jeff Panzer 83 pts

Ryan Miller was a stellar goalie in college, his numbers back him up all the way. He's still a quality goaltender. Did Panzer not make it in the NHL because of size and lack of muscle (let's face it, he doesn't really have the body of a NHL player)? Panzer's number were comparable or better than past winners. I believe everyone above deserved the trophy (even Drury), but I also believe Panzer should have been on that list. I think it will always be controversial, mostly for Sioux fans. It sure would have been nice to see a hometown boy walk away with the hardware, especially when he put up the numbers to earn it.

I think it will always be controversial, mostly for Sioux fans. It sure would have been nice to see a hometown boy walk away with the hardware, especially when he put up the numbers to earn it.

I don't disagree that Panzer was a very worthy Hobey Baker candidate. But, unfortunately, he was up against Ryan Miller who had an amazing season by any standard. In a normal year, Panzer probably would have won the award hands down.

While I would have loved for Jeff to win the Hobey in 2001, there's no denying that Miller was a deserving candidate, too. If Brian Gionta had won it that year, Sioux fans would have had a much stronger case about Panzer being robbed. Panzer had a far better season than Gionta, the darling of Hockey East that season.

At any rate, my primary point is that it's useless to compare what players who win the Hobey Baker do after they leave the NCAA ranks.

I don't disagree that Panzer was a very worthy Hobey Baker candidate. But, unfortunately, he was up against Ryan Miller who had an amazing season by any standard. In a normal year, Panzer probably would have won the award hands down.

While I would have loved for Jeff to win the Hobey in 2001, there's no denying that Miller was a deserving candidate, too. If Brian Gionta had won it that year, Sioux fans would have had a much stronger case about Panzer being robbed. Panzer had a far better season than Gionta, the darling of Hockey East that season.

At any rate, my primary point is that it's useless to compare what players who win the Hobey Baker do after they leave the NCAA ranks.

I agree with you about Miller having a outstanding year. Gionta would have been a fluke. He had something like 56 points that year compared to Jeff's 83. As far as Parise/Lessard. Lessard had 8 more points than Parise, but played 8 more games than him. Zach made everyone on his team a much better player. Not to say that Jr. didn't do that, but Parise was the complete package for a college hockey player. His work ethic was second to none, which speaks volumes. This was one of the cases where the voters needed to look beyond the players' stats, and actually look at the players on the ice.

No, we all know about the eastern bias. Frankly I think it was a fluke a CC player walked out with it last year all though he deserved it. The WCHA has struggled in Hobey Baker Winners as of late even though its been the best conference in Division 1 college hockey for the past decade. There's always a Kariya to watch out for at Maine or a CCHA goaltender. UND'S problem as of late is getting two years out of their recruits. Guys like Toews and Oshie aren't going to be spending enough time here. Hey if Parise can't win it who's going to?

No, we all know about the eastern bias. Frankly I think it was a fluke a CC player walked out with it last year all though he deserved it. The WCHA has struggled in Hobey Baker Winners as of late even though its been the best conference in Division 1 college hockey for the past decade.

You do realize, don't you, that western players have won the last five Hobey Baker awards and that four of those five were from the WCHA? Of the 25 Hobey Bakers awarded since it began in 1981, 14 have been western players and 11 have been eastern players. WCHA players have won the Hobey 11 times, including the last four.

I'm not sure what your "eastern bias" comment is based on.

I've made mention of the western glut of Hobey winners in recent years, PCM, but people still think somehow it's a Hockey East conspiracy against the Sioux. That being said, I disagree with your comment about Ryan Miller having an "amazing" season. Granted, his statistics were eye-popping and I am sure he had plenty of good games, but having personally seen a game in East Lansing that year and hearing some of the fans comment about him, I would concur with fans here that Jeff Panzer was robbed. Michigan State was a very defensive oriented team that year and as soon as the score was 1-0 or 2-0, some good old fashioned clutch-and-grab and three-men-back hockey was the norm at Munn Ice Arena. The game I attended was the UMass game and the Minutemen mustered up all of about 8 shots on goal until about 40 seconds left in the game when Miller misplayed a dump-in and got a puck stuffed into an empty net. He was immediately waved over to the bench and pulled by Ron Mason. I laughed at this and a fan in front of me says "happens all the time when we're ahead...they're protecting his GAA." Sorry to disagree with my favorite pseudo-reporter, but Panzer WAS robbed.

Edited by MafiaMan

I've made mention of the western glut of Hobey winners in recent years, PCM, but people still think somehow it's a Hockey East conspiracy against the Sioux. That being said, I disagree with your comment about Ryan Miller having an "amazing" season. Granted, his statistics were eye-popping and I am sure he had plenty of good games, but having personally seen a game in East Lansing that year and hearing some of the fans comment about him, I would concur with fans here that Jeff Panzer was robbed. Michigan State was a very defensive oriented team that year and as soon as the score was 1-0 or 2-0, some good old fashioned clutch-and-grab and three-men-back hockey was the norm at Munn Ice Arena. The game I attended was the UMass game and the Minutemen mustered up all of about 8 shots on goal until about 40 seconds left in the game when Miller misplayed a dump-in and got a puck stuffed into an empty net. He was immediately waved over to the bench and pulled by Ron Mason. I laughed at this and a fan in front of me says "happens all the time when we're ahead...they're protecting his GAA." Sorry to disagree with my favorite pseudo-reporter, but Panzer WAS robbed.

These are the stats from his Hobey winning season, he wasn't given any "curious" hooks that year.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/gamebygame.php?...002001&gender=m

I'm sure Ryan would have given his and his cousin's Hobey to change the last game on this schedule.

That Mass game was in '01-'02 and the replacement goalie was probably getting some ice after the shutout was lost. The pulling of Miller doesn't appear to be a frequent habit of Coach Mason, despite the fans comment.

1. Panzer was in fact robbed. Miller was worthy, but other goalies have done more and failed to win. Not sure how much more Panzer could have done for UND that year.

2. How did you not die from boredom watching MSU smother UMASS in a rink that makes Mariucci look raucous?

Edited by sagard

I agree with you about Miller having a outstanding year. Gionta would have been a fluke. He had something like 56 points that year compared to Jeff's 83. As far as Parise/Lessard. Lessard had 8 more points than Parise, but played 8 more games than him. Zach made everyone on his team a much better player. Not to say that Jr. didn't do that, but Parise was the complete package for a college hockey player. His work ethic was second to none, which speaks volumes. This was one of the cases where the voters needed to look beyond the players' stats, and actually look at the players on the ice.

the joke wasn't so much miller beating panzer, but more the fact gionta finishing next to panzer in the voting.

1. Panzer was in fact robbed. Miller was worthy, but other goalies have done more and failed to win.

Really?

In Miller's 2000-2001 season he:

• Led the nation with 31 wins
  • Had a .950 save percentage
  • Had a 1.32 goals against average
  • Had 10 shutouts
  • Set the NCAA career shutout mark with 18 in two seasons
  • Got Michigan State into the Frozen Four

Robb Stauber wasn't as good as Ryan Miller the year he won the Hobey. In fact, Stauber said, "If you look at who made Michigan State so good, Ryan Miller's name comes to the forefront. There's just no doubting Miller. He put up numbers no one could deny."

So I guess whoever Stauber beat out for the Hobey in 1988 was robbed, too.

Although I think Miller was a worthy winner (I think Panzer was just as worthy), the part that amazed me is that Panzer, as previously mentioned by a poster, fininshed in a tie for second with Gionta - AND I believe Panzer won the fan vote which jumped him into that tie. Otherwise, he is third.

2003 provides a good comparison to 2001:

Dave LeNevue (Cornell) - 28-3-1, 1.20 GAA, .940 save%, 9 shutouts and team in frozen four - he didn't win award.

Peter Senja did win with 36-46-82 line and team not in frozen four. (For comparison purposes Panzer in 2001 was 26-55-81 and leader of the national runner-up team).

In other words, from year to year, who knows how or why things shake out as they do with the voters??

Really?

I was thinking of Leneveu and Mckee who both had slightly lower GAAs, but not quite the 0.950.

Mark Vermette from Lake State had 45 goals and 74 pts, Steve Johnson had 85 pts. Stauber robbed 'em.

To me you can have a worthy winner and still have someone get robbed.

Steve Johnson was robbed!!! :D

Obviously. That was my point. ;)

Did I want Jeff Panzer to win the Hobey in 2001? Certainly. I did everything I could to lobby for his selection. It would have been great to have had a native North Dakotan win it. But I was also realistic enough to understand that with the kind of season Ryan Miller was having, he was going to have a good shot at it, too.

I was disappointed that Jeff didn't win the Hobey, but I wasn't surprised that Miller won it. Both were deserving candidates. Unfortunately, there could only be one winner.

Maybe the problem is that some people define "robbed" differently than I do.