SiouxSports.com Forum

INCH Preseason All-Americans

schmidtdoggydog

OK, did nobody see Smaby last year? :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I share your appreciation for how Matt Smaby played late last year, he didn't play great all year long. I do believe it is a sign of what we can expect of him this year, but traditionally points are focused upon a lot when determining All-American defensemen. I am sure Matt will put up more points with his new role, but I don't believe it will be enough to garner All-American status. I hope I am wrong.

Smaby not being there doesn't bother me that much. Defensive defensemen don't make all-whatever teams. It's too hard to justify compared to offensive numbers.

Stafford not getting at least an honorable mention bothers me. Travis Zajac not getting an honorable mention bothers me. Uh. Let me ask this about last year's team: If Stafford and Zajac went down with injury last year, do you think we'd've made the NCAAs? The Frozen Four? The NC game? So, yeah, uh. They get Honorable Mention status if you ever paid any attention to the WCHA's top 5 teams last year on an equal basis.

Other than that, Cogliano, Oshie, and Toews are pretty interchangable on the All-Rookie teams. I'd go with Toews of course, but it really is that tight talent wise.

Nothing bothers me about having guys left off of pre-season lists. All the better to fly under the radar.

The Sioux have several guys who could raise eyebrows this year. If they do that, it won't be because they got named to a list.

How much sweeter to see names on the end of season list?

I didn't realize they had auto-bids for a preseason all-whatever team. Because how else do you explain players from Quinnipiac, Alabama-Hunstville, and UMass-Lowell being on there, and so many players from the top teams in hockey (and I think we know what conference they're in...) being left off? Hello, there is WCHA hockey outside of Colorado. God, quit humping Gauthier and Carle's legs.

On second thought, keep doing it, they won't be able to play.

I think it's pretty stupid to choose offensive defensemen for these things. The best judge of a good defensemen is not how many goals they get. They have players to get goals. They are called forwards. It's great to have a defenseman who can set up goals or score if the opportunity presents itself, but high scoring is not the mark of a good defense. Winning games by preventing goals from the opposing teams is what defensemen are there for. Maybe I will cc Steve Czech on this post. Hmm...