SiouxSports.com Forum

Opinions on the SCSU game

huskies679

I would like the opinion about the SCSU and UND game last week. I knew UND would be tough as hell and I thought the Huskies would be tough if we did not turn the ball over.

I thought the defenses for both teams were good and the UND offensive line and linebackers were much better than SCSU.

Do you guys feel that the score was an indication of UND being that much better than SCSU? Or did the Huskies not bring it?

I do feel the better team won the game but I was so embarrassed about our preformance.

Just curious

I would like the opinion about the SCSU and UND game last week.  I knew UND would be tough as hell and I thought the Huskies would be tough if we did not turn the ball over.

I thought the defenses for both teams were good and the UND offensive line and linebackers were much better than SCSU.

Do you guys feel that the score was an indication of UND being that much better than SCSU?  Or did the Huskies not bring it? 

I do feel the better team won the game but I was so embarrassed about our preformance.

Just curious

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I forgot to mention that the UND crowd was incredible!

I thought that the game was closer than the final score showed. I looked up at the scoreboard a few times and was surprized that that the scores were that far apart.

I think that the first six seconds of the game were crucial to the UND victory. Digger Anderson's interception was incredible and the touchdown had to be a big-time blow to the Huskies.

Do you guys feel that the score was an indication of UND being that much better than SCSU?  Or did the Huskies not bring it? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't at the game, but I watched it on TV and listened to the radio broadcast.

I thought the biggest difference in the game was the ability of UND's defense to stop Birkel. When the Huskies really needed him in the second half, he was almost a non-factor. In contrast, UND's running game began to click when the Sioux needed it most.

Another key difference was that Bellmore played much better than Kaczor. The two long TDs to Grossman in the second half really blew the game open for UND.

I was impressed with St. Cloud's defense and special teams. I didn't expect Bellmore to be sacked so many times. And the Huskies really held Dressler in check, something no other team has been able to do.

I think the game was closer than the final score indicated.

I'd like to know if St. Cloud has been using that punt formation the entire season. It seems to be a high risk, high reward formation. UND would get close to blocking almost every punt, but it seemed like the formation got defenders down the field fast enough to prevent Dressler from getting any kind of return.

I thought St. Cloud could easily have scored more if the passing game was more productive. I thought, at times, St. Cloud ran the ball in passing situations because of the passing struggles. I can see doing with a RB like Birkel, but it seemed like they were running quite a bit in these situations.

Based on this game, the biggest differences between the teams might be that UND's offense doesn't rely on one player like SCSU's seemed to with Birkel. While Dressler didn't have a big game, UND didn't need to force the ball to him because of Grossman's game.

St. Cloud really reminds me of a typical Roger Thomas coached UND team of the 90's. Huge offensive line, a terrific running back, and a big, physical defense. And just like those UND teams of the 90's, the problem the Huskies will run into is when they can't get the running game going because the passing attack isn't designed to function on its own.

I thought the major difference between the two teams was speed. UND has the quicker linebackers and secondary and the Sioux also have the big play threats at receiver that SCSU seems to lack.

The thing that most impressed me about SCSU was the DLine play. Cosgrove is an animal and those two defensive tackles are really tough as well. Henderson at middle LB isn't the quickest guy I've seen, but he mucks it up in there and has a nose for the football.

I did not think the QB Kaczor looked good at all, but that tends to happen a lot to opposing QBs with how effective the Sioux zone blitz is. He seemed to be locking in on receivers with his eyes and just making poor decisions in general. I also think the Husky offensive line needs to play much better than it did against the Sioux, but I realize they are young.

All in all, SCSU is a very solid team but not at the caliber of UND this year IMO. I think the score probably could have been a bit closer to be more reflective of the game, but I also feel that UND is generally 15 points better than SCSU this year.

I won $100 picking UND by 3 touchdowns :D:huh: (Thanks TylerD for running back that onside at the end - you covered the spread for me! I owe a Subway sandwich or something :silly: ) Everyone thought I was nuts, for probably the 1st time EVER ;)

Truth be told...this should have been WORSE than the final score. UND got 4 turnovers in SCSU's first 4 possesions...that's where you should bury them! The Huskies were VERY lucky only to be down 16-7 at halftime..fortunately the offense woke up and put it out of reach early in the second...I know no one wants to say it but "they are for real!! - seriously!"

I was at the game and was expecting a much closer game than what happened since I have been at the other blowouts UND has done. I do believe though that the interception within the first six seconds gave a MAJOR blow to the SCSU game plan and also that the Sioux we feeding off of the students and that it was Homecoming. But other than that both teams were really good and I do believe that UND will be seeing the Huskies in the post season.

We must not speak to quickly because look what happened last year after they beat us....we went and beat them in the playoffs. St.Cloud is not a team to be taken lightly, that game was a few plays away from being alot closer. Thanks to digger though for starting it off right.......I think a new question should be. Why do our linebackers have more interceptions then our defensive backs? Go Dawgz!

I am just happy that St. Cloud decided to take the ball to start the game. The way their defense stopped the Sioux offense in the first half, they might have gained more momentum had they started on defense, and who knows how the complexion of the game changes. I think getting behind on the first play of the game really takes the wind out of the sails. If they play again and St. Cloud scores first -- who knows!

Every time we play a team, after the game they said they didnt have a very good game and they didnt look good and how bad they preformed, im just curious is this the play of UND doing this to a team and being intimidating or does everyone just have bad games when we play UND? although we are getting good breaks almost evey game to make it look like a blowout.

I think SCSU is the only team so far that could say playing a bad game was part of the reason they lost. Kaczor was terrible. If SCSU had played a better game, it would've been around 20-7 UND I think. Every other team UND has played, the Sioux have just been way better then and even if that team played great, they still would've lost by 15-20.

Every time we play a team, after the game they said they didnt have a very good game and they didnt look good and how bad they preformed, im just curious is this the play of UND doing this to a team and being intimidating or does everyone just have bad games when we play UND? although we are getting good breaks almost evey game to make it look like a blowout.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's like Dale Lennon said on last night's Fighting Sioux coaches' show. In nearly every game, you can point to a few big plays that made the difference in the game. He thought two of the biggest against SCSU were the Glas field goal just before half-time and Grossman's long TD reception to start the second half. Lennon said that what separates this team from some in the recent past is that it's been making several big plays every game.

I think it's like Dale Lennon said on last night's Fighting Sioux coaches' show. In nearly every game, you can point to a few big plays that made the difference in the game. He thought two of the biggest against SCSU were the Glas field goal just before half-time and Grossman's long TD reception to start the second half. Lennon said that what separates this team from some in the recent past is that it's been making several big plays every game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The big plays make this team fun. The odd thing is that the big plays shouldn't really be happening. What I mean is that the plays aren't expected to be big, and yes, I realize every play is designed to hopefully be big. How often have we actually tried a deep ball. I've seen three games, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I've only seen three or four deep balls.