SiouxSports.com Forum

Permissible booster recruiting activity

tony

Moderator edit - Split from NDSU Snakes thread

Uh, even if you guys are all related (which you aren't), you are really endangering her future eligibility at UND.

Keep it up and, ironically, you guys gossipping could end up forcing her to go to another school to play basketball.

Suppose Amy called her up and say, "Hey, we had a guard leave and have an extra scholarship?"

If so, did the recruit say, "Hey, I've already verballed to UND."

What Coach Ruley said next is all that really matters.

If you are so confident that nobody here is violating NCAA rules, ask your compliance officer at UND and see what they think.

You guys better read this.

I got something similar from NDSU this year. You cannot be a booster of UND and go around talking with recruits or their families about this kind of stuff.

If you insist on doing this, you are endangering the recruit's eligibility at your school and will likely get yourself banned from any association with UND athletics for life. It does not matter who initiates the contact.

So, yeah, unless you guys are making this up or have talked to Amy, there has almost certainly been a violation of NCAA recruiting rules here.

It would even be more certain if the posts between mine hadn't all mysteriously disappeared :huh:

NCAA Regulations DO permit the following:

Continuing existing relationships with families that include children of prospect age.

If a family member told this to a friend that seems "in bounds" by tony's link.

I just hope this is much ado about nothing. Amy Ruley could clear this all up by saying she's contacted no potential recruits in the last (however many) days. She can't use a name, but a generic statement would clear it right up.

If it can't be cleared up in that manner, yes, the gloves would be off due to this strike and Buning and Taylor would need to restore order.

PS - http://www.fightingsioux.com/info/booster/

Uh, even if you guys are all related (which you aren't), you are really endangering her future eligibility at UND.

Keep it up and, ironically, you guys gossipping could end up forcing her to go to another school to play basketball.

Suppose Amy called her up and say, "Hey, we had a guard leave and have an extra scholarship?"

If so, did the recruit say, "Hey, I've already verballed to UND."

What Coach Ruley said next is all that really matters.

If you are so confident that nobody here is violating NCAA rules, ask your compliance officer at UND and see what they think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am sure Roebuck already has since he was informed of this Monday morning, the next morning. Why do you guys not believe this? Is it that unfathomable to think that Amy would do this?

If a family member told this to a friend that seems "in bounds" by tony's link.

You simply cannot talk about recruiting with a potential recruit or their relatives. It is against NCAA regs.

I suggest that you guys talk to your compliance guy before digging yourselves deeper.

You simply cannot talk about recruiting with a potential recruit or their relatives. It is against NCAA regs.

I suggest that you guys talk to your compliance guy before digging yourselves deeper.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, then Amy must have commited a violation :huh:

Tony, the fact is that Amy contacted the recruit who had verballed to UND. She hadn't recruited her much before her star recruit went home due to homesickness, now she offers her the farm.

Just like school in the summer...no class!

Tony, your the only one digging a hole.  UND is not the guilty party in this fiasco.  Quit trying to change the subject.  The topics your talking about have nothing to do with the  actions of the Bison coaching staff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly he is trying to focus the attention off of this and on to some posters on this message board.

So how does everyone know Amy called and does anyone know exactly what was said?

Her parents could have told all their friend and neighbors, she could have told all her friends, she could have sent one of us an email, one of us could have written her a letter asking -- there are many permissible contacts and she lives in a small town in a small state. No one is forcing you to believe the "rumor", however the ongoing attempt to distract from it by attacking our having found out and fishing for recruiting violations (bait, it is now obvious, no one will take) is getting old.

Her parents could have told all their friend and neighbors, she could have told all her friends, she could have sent one of us an email, one of us could have written her a letter asking -- there are many permissible contacts and she lives in a small town in a small state.  No one is forcing you to believe the "rumor", however the ongoing attempt to distract from it by attacking our having found out and fishing for recruiting violations (bait, it is now obvious, no one will take) is getting old.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, anyone could come on the messageboard, state a rumor, have a couple other people back it up, and leave it to the reader to believer?

If it's true about Amy, then I'll back off, until then I still have reasonable doubt.

Her parents could have told all their friend and neighbors, she could have told all her friends, she could have sent one of us an email, one of us could have written her a letter asking -- there are many permissible contacts and she lives in a small town in a small state. No one is forcing you to believe the "rumor", however the ongoing attempt to distract from it by attacking our having found out and fishing for recruiting violations (bait, it is now obvious, no one will take) is getting old.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you're a booster corresponding with a prospect about the recruiting process you'd be in deep doo-doo Jim.

Exactly! If I was a Bison fan (so many insults here), I would have gotten this thread to discuss something that isn't even remotely related to Amy Ruley stealing small children and placing them in forced labor camps. The Bison fans here are attacking the messenger when they should be stealing the messengers lunch money and giving him a wedgie. So sad.

If you're a booster corresponding with a prospect about the recruiting process you'd be in deep doo-doo Jim.

I said write a letter, then you quoted the portion related to in-person contacts and phone calls. You conveniently omitted the next sentence when quoting the manual:

13.01.4 Recruiting by Representatives of Athletics Interests. Representatives of an institution