SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Most of this kind of talk comes from GPL. I think it's called hedging.

Let's not trash a potential recruit on this board.

I think there is often a fair amount of straight talk about potential recruits over there, especially by some posters who have more knowledge than others.

Mattson is a better prospect at the moment then Ness who has very good speed but has a weak shot.

big difference is ness will be at umtc next season after advancing his studies and mattson wont be in until 2010. school wise ness is advancing but age wise i think he just missed the cut off for only being considered a junior instead of a senior this year.

any younger players from warroad or roseau that are getting attention besides the landman and lee and the players already commited?? thanks just hard to keep up wit the northerner kids here in az :D

big difference is ness will be at umtc next season after advancing his studies and mattson wont be in until 2010. school wise ness is advancing but age wise i think he just missed the cut off for only being considered a junior instead of a senior this year.

any younger players from warroad or roseau that are getting attention besides the landman and lee and the players already commited?? thanks just hard to keep up wit the northerner kids here in az :D

Aaron Ness should be a junior this year but since he's excellerating his studies I believe he'll graduate a year early.

One kid with alot of potential is Brett Hebel, a big LW at Warroad. I believe that he was taken in the WHL draft, but I am not sure.

Ness Bday 18-May-1990, just a few days younger than Cory Fienhage and about a month older than David Toews.

Granted it is high school competition, but Gleason looks awesome. Best skater on the ice hands down and has created the last 3 goals. Budish is NOT offensively polished, but has great size and strength.

agreed 100%. Gleason is the best out there. budish is big and powerful, but his shot sucks. he might want to work more on hockey and less on football...

Here's a question for the guys who have seen Edina play: Is that Marshall Everson, who has got 4 goals tonight, that good? Or Rochester Century that bad? I found that he's going to Harvard.

He is a good solid D1 player, but definitely not UND good. He has a nice shot and his team sets him up, but his skating and vision are more ECAC level.

Wow, Budish really passes nicely.

Gleason was electric, but to be fair he is a senior and as an elite prospect he should dominate. He was very dynamic with the puck and easily faster than everyone else.

As for the negatives, he might have been playing defense but you wouldn't know it for how many times he was the first Hornet in the offensive zone. In addition, I'm not sure how much work he's going to get in the defensive zone this year on this Edina team that is going to be in the other end for most of their games. Obviously the coaches know best, but I wouldn't be bothered if he played a year in the USHL to learn how to play defense against other great offensive players.

I'm guessing the pro scouts will find his skating irresistible. As with, "you can't teach size", you also can't teach world class skating, which he appears to have.

Gleason skates amazingly well and jumps up into the play a lot. I thought he was the best player on the ice...I expected to see more from Budish but he does have good size and skates well for a big guy with a decent amount of speed. Marshall Everson(Harvard commit) was a good player as showed by his 5 goals on the night. His younger brother (guessing) Max Everson is a freshman D on the team and thought he played well for being so young on such a talented team. Anders Lee(jr) is a very good player and I also thought that Connor Gaarder(jr) played a good game. David Jarret(soph) laid a nice hit in the third period. Just giving my comments on the game. Anders Lee and Zach Budish are players to keep eyes on and Brendan Baker is also a nice played to watch to see where he goes to college.

I think it's called hedging.

You might be right:

Hedging is a strategy designed to minimize exposure to an unwanted business risk, while still allowing the business to profit from an investment activity. Typically, a hedger might invest in a security that he believes is under-priced relative to its "fair value" (for example a mortgage loan that he is then making), and combine this with a short sale of a related security or securities. Thus the hedger is indifferent to the movements of the market as a whole, and is interested only in the performance of the 'under-priced' security relative to the hedge.