SiouxSports.com Forum

Uniform Designs

dakotadan

If the worst comes to pass and UND has to change its name, I have a concept developed for new football uniforms based on Sicatoka's idea. I envision black helmets with the crossed cavalry sabres as the logo. I just hope this would be politically correct enough for the NCAA.

und_cav_uni.jpg

If the worst comes to pass and UND has to change its name, I have a concept developed for new football uniforms based on Sicatoka's idea. I envision black helmets with the crossed cavalry sabres as the logo. I just hope this would be politically correct enough for the NCAA.

und_cav_uni.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's freaking hilarious.

und_cav_uni.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That horseman would be a very beautiful replacement for the Sitting Bull statue in front of the Ralph!! It would also be kind of cool to have the "Calvary" come charging onto the field in front of the FB team!! We could actually have a mascot at sporting events. Just imagin having the horseman pictured above riding his horse up and down the sideline through the whole game. We could have a group in full military regalia firing off a cannon every time we score as the horseman circles the Alerus at full speed. I seem to like this idea more and more as I think about it. Plus, I really like that color scheme. Very Noble looking if you ask me.

EDIT: The trumpets sounding out the charge... The possabilities are endless.

CAVALRY

Apparently Cavalry wouldn't work for the NCAA either. Check out the 9th Cavalry Distinctive Badge. We would still get banned by the NCAA. Also, we would already have a school song, Fiddlers' Green. Although there is a rather "Hostile and Abusive" line in it...

And so when man and horse go down

Beneath a saber keen,

Or in a roaring charge of fierce melee

You stop a bullet clean,

And the hostiles come to get your scalp,

Just empty your canteen,

And put your pistol to your head

And go to Fiddlers' Green.

For some reason I keep singing the Fiddlers' Green to the Gilligan's Island theme song :silly:

Based on a suggestion by bincitysioux here, I've decided that "Troopers" might stand a better chance of being accepted than "Cavalry" as the new nickname for UND's teams. We could use these uniforms and still use dakotadan's excellent ideas. :silly:

Home uniforms

und_troopers.jpg

Road uniforms

und_trooper_vis.jpg

Based on a suggestion by bincitysioux here, I've decided that "Troopers" might stand a better chance of being accepted than "Cavalry" as the new nickname for UND's teams. We could use these uniforms and still use dakotadan's excellent ideas.  :silly:

Home uniforms

und_troopers.jpg

Road uniforms

und_trooper_vis.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go with the darker blue for the away pants.

That horseman would be a very beautiful replacement for the Sitting Bull statue in front of the Ralph!! It would also be kind of cool to have the "Calvary" come charging onto the field in front of the FB team!! We could actually have a mascot at sporting events. Just imagin having the horseman pictured above riding his horse up and down the sideline through the whole game. We could have a group in full military regalia firing off a cannon every time we score as the horseman circles the Alerus at full speed. I seem to like this idea more and more as I think about it. Plus, I really like that color scheme. Very Noble looking if you ask me.

EDIT: The trumpets sounding out the charge... The possabilities are endless.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree! We can call him Custer! And, when he comes on the field leading the Cav football players, the announcer can say "Heeeerree comes Custer leading another successful Cavalry charge!!!" :silly:

I don't know. I think I like Cavalry better. I think it has a better ring to it.

University of North Dakota Fighting Cavalry

University of North Dakota Fighting Troopers

North Dakota Cavalry

North Dakota Troopers

I guess either works but I would choose Cavalry.

I agree!  We can call him Custer!  And, when he comes on the field leading the Cav football players, the announcer can say "Heeeerree comes Custer leading another successful Cavalry charge!!!"  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey now, can't go with Custer!!! Then I'll serously will have a grip with your mascot. :D

Besides, Custer was an Idiot, much like the rest of my family..... ;):silly::D

... based on Sicatoka's idea.

For the record, The Idea:

If "Sioux" is "hostile and abusive" replace it with the name of the greatest enemy of the Sioux.

You'd be accomplishing two things:

- you'd be protecting the Sioux

- you'd be "hostile and abusive" and dishonoring that Sioux enemy

Thus, "The Fighting Cavalry."

That'd sure be a good way to tell Gen. George Armstrong Custer that he was a loser and dishonor him now wouldn't it. (Well, that's what the anti-Sioux folks' "logic" says at least.)

"Gary Owen" is also a traditional song of the Cavalry. There are a lot of ways you could work the Cavalry into UND, get the Army ROTC guys on board, the helicopter avaiation students that end up flying Apaches or Kiowas will be in the modern Cavalry along with anyone that ends up in armor. Dakotadan has some great ideas, the Pride of the North Band could dress up like troopers. A cavalry officer is very proud of his unit to the point that the dark blue stetson with the gold rope and spurs are authorized accessories to the uniform to this day, and even look good on the desert uniform, our Army Ground Liasion Officer wears his several times a week over here.

Digital Tradition Mirror

Gary Owen

Gary Owen

cho: Gary Owen, Gary Owen, Gary Owen

In the valley of Montana all alone

There are better days to be

In the seventh cavalry

When we charge again For dear old Gary Owen.

I can hear those Sioux bucks singing, Sgt. Flynn

I can hear those tom-toms ringing, Sgt. Flynn

I can hear those Sioux bucks singing,

I can here those tom-toms ringing,

But they don't yet know the tune to Gary Owen.

It's first call I hear it sounding, Sgt. Flynn

And it sounds like taps a-rounding, Sgt. Flynn

Oh me lads, here's something fancy

Take a break, it's Private Clancy

And you'll feel better when he strikes up Gary Owen

For it's Boots and Saddles sounding, Sgt. Flynn

Along the line the men are bounding, Sgt. Flynn

So let' saddle-up and fall in

For the trumpets are callin'

And the band is tuning up for Gary Owen.

For it's forward we're advancing, Sgt. Flynn

And the breeze guides are a-lancing, Sgt. Flynn

Walk, trot, gallop, charge by thunder,

We will ride those cut throats under.

Drive your sabers to the hilt for Gary Owen.

We are ambushed and surrounded, Sgt. Flynn

Yet recall has not been sounded, Sgt. Flynn

Gather round me and we'll rally

Make one last stand in the valley

For the Seventh Regiment and Gary Owen.

You are cut, and scalped, and battered, Sgt. Flynn

All your men are dead and scattered, Sgt. Flynn

I will make your bed tomorrow

With my head bowed down in sorrow.

O'er your grave, I'll whistle Taps And Gary Owen.

Leader sings lines of verses, group yells back "Sgt. Flynn"

and "Gary Owen" at the end of each of those lines. WH