SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Here are some more links to stories in the news and blogs concerning name changes. (I apologize if any of these links are repeats.)

And MY opinion: I believe that how people feel about anything of this nature is all in the ATTITUDE people have of both themselves and of others and I find it always interesting, sometimes sad, often times exciting, and too often disgusting.

Competition brings something out in people, whether we are fans or players. And yes, fans for AND against the Fighting Sioux have made mistakes in all the hype, as we are all humans. But let

From Dennis Dodd on CBS Sportsline.com:

Notebook: Handing out the first-half hardware

Five biggest disappointments

The NCAA: A bad, hypocritical and embarrassing year for the governing body.

It played big brother with the ludicrous "hostile and abusive" nickname decree on schools with Indian nicknames. (The Fighting Irish weren't included, hmmm) It then backtracked on schools like Florida State that, surprise, weren't hostile and abusive toward Seminoles. Do your research, boys.

GK,

You brought up Hitler again. I'm confused are you talking about Jeffrey Wiese?

After having one of your own admit to admiring Hitler and actually posting on a Hitler website it would be in your best interest not to bring up Hitler anymore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of my own? He was Chippewa? This just shows how truly ignorant you are by thinking ALL Indian people are the same. Pity pity pity, maybe you should learn more about Indian people than watching them dance.

One of my own? He was Chippewa? This just shows how truly ignorant you are by thinking ALL Indian people are the same. Pity pity pity, maybe you should learn more about Indian people than watching them dance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GK,

Ok, why is it when a native american (no matter what tribe or group) says that using Indian nick names are wrong and its use should stop, and you go out and deem that as ok: however, when ever an Native American says something that you don't agree with, you immediately dismiss them as wrong, misguided and of another band or tribe. Can't have it both way.

Edited by Goon

GK,

Ok, why is it when a native american (no matter what tribe or group) says that using Indian nick names are wrong and its use should stop, and you go out and deem that as ok: however, when ever an Native American says something that you don't agree with, you immediately dismiss them as wrong, misguided and of another band or tribe. Can't have it both way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HMMMMM.....can't have it both ways, is that like saying you're honoring someone but that honor is really a smokescreen?

My people, the Lakota, have all passed resolutions against the name. Simple as that. I don't care if the Red Lake or Turtle Mountain people say they are for it, they are not Sioux so I don't see why that argument would even hold water.

Is he really? I think before you type, do your research.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"As for myself, I retired from the Air Force after 20 years of service in 1972 and have served as pastor with the Southern Baptists for more than 30 years."

Serving as a Southern Baptist pastor for more than 30 years would qualify as a holy man even though it is not your religion. He served in the military for many years so that should qualify him as a hero unless he was dishonorably discharged. And he may or may not be recognized as an elder to the Lakota, but his age would qualify him as an elder to most of the population. So what would you like us to research? His status as a member of the Lakota tribe?

Exactly. For being a Sioux, you sure no nothing about us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never claimed to know everything about the Sioux nation. After review, I believe that The Rev. Robertson should be referred to as Dakota instead of Lakota. Forgive us for the mistake. This still makes him an enrolled member of a Sioux nation. How do you respond to his comments about UND?

Exactly. For being a Sioux, you sure know nothing about us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm guessing that GK is referring to the fact that the Rev. Robertson is from the Wahpeton-Sisseton Sioux, who are Dakota rather than Lakota. However in doing so he makes a good point. We are the University of North DAKOTA, not North LAKOTA, and so perhaps we are simply honoring our namesake - the Dakota Sioux, which would imply that in GK's own stated rules, the opinion of the Lakota would mean about as much as the Turtle Mountain Chippewas or the Red Lake Ojibwe. Nothing. Just some food for thought.

I'm guessing that GK is referring to the fact that the Rev. Robertson is from the Wahpeton-Sisseton Sioux, who are Dakota rather than Lakota.  However in doing so he makes a good point.  We are the University of North DAKOTA, not North LAKOTA, and so perhaps we are simply honoring our namesake - the Dakota Sioux, which would imply that in GK's own stated rules, the opinion of the Lakota would mean about as much as the Turtle Mountain Chippewas or the Red Lake Ojibwe. Nothing.  Just some food for thought.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love this website. :silly: There's always 'food for thought'.

After doing some research, I found out I know one of his daughters that went to school here.  I have respect for his family, but I can't say I agree with his thinking.  As I stated before, let him, he himself, spend some quality time here on campus (by that I mean more than a weekend to watch his kin graduate), then I can guarantee that he will definitely change his mind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt that he will spend much time on campus since he is now retired. But, wouldn't you think that some of his many kin would have told him about any problems they had run into, especially serious problems?

Again, do your research before your type.  The Sioux Nation, aka, the Oceti Sakowin, is comprised of the Dakota, Lakota, and Nakota.  All for one, one for all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But since it is the University of North Dakota why should we worry about what Lakota and Nakota say? I mean according to you, anyone who is Sioux doesn't matter. So since we are in North Dakota, why should anyone but the Dakota matter?

Also you are still here, how come? Don't you have more important things to be doing? :silly:

But we're only honoring the Dakota, not the other tribes.  So the other tribes don't matter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the Dakota's weren't the fighters. So why call yourself the Fighting Sioux? Dakota's weren't known for Little Bighorn or Wounded Knee.

Then you should change your name to the Corn-growing Sioux, or the Homesteading Sioux, because they weren't the plains Sioux that you all stereotype and admire.

UND: Professors discuss nickname.

Organized through the College of Education and Human Development, the panel discussion was meant to help students learn, according to Dan Rice, dean of the education college.

"Our college hasn't taken a stand on this issue," Rice said. "Our purpose is just to help students understand different people and different opinions."

Is a panel discussion really a "discussion" when there is no dissenting opinion?