SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

It's unfortunate that Williston may have lost some of their players to injury. I was looking forward to seeing them at the State tournament this year. Ideally, it would be great if every team was at full strength. I had the opportunity to see some of the Williston players this summer. I was impressed with some of their skills, especially Jundt. I'm not surprised he got the WDA senior award. Congrats to him!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WILL NOT CANNOT BE STOPPED?? What the heck does that mean? It will be a South V Red River final again. And the best team will win (I hope RR) but unless, Congragts to the Bruins. By the way where is North for the 4th year in a row?, and W Fargo, as always. Grafton & GFC are here again, so don't knock Central for struggling to get to to state again, while other teams missed AGAIN! And moving the game to Fargo or Minot or Bismarck wouldn't change a thing!!!!

-Not really a fan of this last post. I'll tell you where Fargo North is, exactly where we thought they would be. Nobody was saying this team will be in the state tournament so your point is irrelevant. North really was not set up to succeed this season with only a few mentionable players. They were very young and should stand a better shot next year in the EDC.

- Where is West Fargo, recovering from a three day period in which they were forced to play Grand Forks Central, Grand Forks Red River, and Grafton. That is a hellacious draw for a 4 seed to try to make the state tournament. So don't try to compare this West Fargo team to the past WF teams. There was not a lot of talent in this group but they knew how they needed to play successfully and because of an upset on day 1 were held short of the state tournament. Don't try and put GFC up on their cross for playing well when they needed to, because frankly they did not. They are going to state ahead of a number 4 seed that beat them not once, not twice, but 3 times over the course of the season, all because they lost to that team on day 1 of the region tournament at home. I really do feel bad for these kids, I've called them a weak number 4 all season, but they won every game they should have this year but 1 against Fargo North where Welk stood on his head. I think people like you need to consider the situation before comparing a program on the rise to its predecessors.

-Coach of the Year in the East is an absolute joke this year. Wilson wouldn't have needed to go to practices this year for his team to be as good as they are. Richards from WF and Malm from Red River are far more deserving of this crown.

-All EDC team- Is Wurden all that good or is he just a product of the system? On any other year this kid would be all-conference but I really wouldn't take Galbreath, LaDoucer, Swanson, Petersen, or Galt off the list for him. With 5 other South players there it doesn't surprise me that he didn't make it. Potential snub Chris Wateland from Wahpeton with over 25 points he deserves a lot more than All-EDC for that point total coming from Wahpeton.

-Final thought- Where is the class of 2007? This year some truly great names are leaving North Dakota hockey. Just look at all EDC. The Class of 2008 is very strong with Galbreath, LaDoucer, Meland, Swanson, Powers, and Simonson just to name a few. But all EDC has no juniors on it. Let's just think Mr. Hockey 2007 pretty tough call if you ask me. Maybe McDougall from FS, or Hillman from BHS if he's still around.

I hope it comes down to a rematch of the South-GFRR game at the Ralph for the tourney championship. From the sounds of things, and what I've read, it was a VERY good game.

Maybe GFRR will win. Maybe South will win the rematch. Who knows? Gosh, what a treat the last one was from what I heard. Probably would have been at that game if I hadn't had a suite at the Sioux game.

As for riders06- Yeah, careful. You wouldn't want to make DaveK's point for him. Besides, nothing is worse, IMO, than a bad winner. Bad losers come close though. Of course, SHOULD South win, I'd expect you to come on here and congratulate South on a well earned win without once slighting their accomplishment. I'd enjoy seeing that.

------------------------------

Ok, on a completely unrelated note:

I was listening to the Central/West Fargo contest yesterday on my way up from Fargo on the radio and a High School player's stick was broken in a play. Nothing out of the ordinary there, but it got me thinking: If a player's stick is broken during a game, does the player have to go out and buy another one or does the school have a supply of sorts of sticks and equipment? I believe high school football teams supply each team with at least jerseys and helmets if not pads as well... Kindof curious on that. I mean, those sticks can cost $200-$400 each!

I hope it comes down to a rematch of the South-GFRR game at the Ralph for the tourney championship. From the sounds of things, and what I've read, it was a VERY good game.

Maybe GFRR will win. Maybe South will win the rematch. Who knows? Gosh, what a treat the last one was from what I heard. Probably would have been at that game if I hadn't had a suite at the Sioux game.

As for riders06- Yeah, careful. You wouldn't want to make DaveK's point for him.

------------------------------

Ok, on a completely unrelated note:

I was listening to the Central/West Fargo contest yesterday on my way up from Fargo on the radio and a High School player's stick was broken in a play. Nothing out of the ordinary there, but it got me thinking: If a player's stick is broken during a game, does the player have to go out and buy another one or does the school have a supply of sorts of sticks and equipment? I believe high school football teams supply each team with at least jerseys and helmets if not pads as well... Kindof curious on that. I mean, those sticks can cost $200-$400 each!

The player has to furnish their own sticks, most are in the 100-200 dollar range though.

Hockey is an expensive sport to play. In general anyone who gets to the high school level will have enough money (or their family will) to buy a couple sticks during the year. I think once they get to High School more of the stuff is provided for them than in youth hockey, but I'm not sure about sticks.

As for the previous comment(s) about South's parents and fans, I think every team will have some bad apples among their parents and fans. Depending on who you talk to, they may have encountered a bad apple and then they make a generalization about everybody. The post seemed very second and third hand and was very vague. I don't expect you to name names, but if you make a statement like that I would expect at least an example of something that was said or done, rather than just quoting some people talking about people they don't even know. I know and have been around many of the current South parents and they are all great people. Of course they want their kids to win and do the best they can, and taken the wrong way I guess this could be construed as being "above" everyone else.

To answer your original question about which team people would like to beat the most, this year it would be Fargo South and Red River. Why? Because they're the best two teams, and everyone likes beating the best teams. Lacking any specific examples of behavior, I don't think it goes beyond that. I've been to quite a few South games and not seen any "cockiness" or any of the other things you listed.

I too was at the game and i must say it was a good game for both sides. Each time is very even in my opinion..Did they quit giving sportsmanship awards for the region tournament or is that alwasy been state and they didnt name a east region tournament MVP but i guess we all know who that would of been. I belive it ouwld of been Marc Milhulka, cant say enough about this kid 3 straight hat tricks and one against the the 2nd best team in the state (Fargo South). BTW why do they call him ten bears or did i hear wrong. Who do you guys think would of been the tournament MVP? Im surprised there wasnt that many people there for south but i guess the drive is jsut too exepnsive with gas. Also i was talkin to some security guards who I believe are beign told to take the fun out of cheering. THey told me they took away 5 cow bells on thursday and 3 air horns too. All of these though were tookin from the Red River student section. I thought the refs made some bad calls but i guess they cant make all the calls and i bellieve those peopel who say the Ref's favor GFRR are saying lies but it looekd to me liek tehy were on the side of FArgo South but that just could be me. Looks like theres gunna be an all east region semi's this year again and maybe even a all GF final again for which im hoping for cuase of all the poepel that go to the games. I remeber last year they had to oepn up the top seating becuase of so many poeple were coming in.

Before your next post you might want to vist this site as well as several others that offer more of the same:

http://www.betterwritingskills.com/

There should be some good games, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't come down to South-Red River for the championship:

Minot 3, Central 2

South 5, Devils Lake 0

GPR 3, Williston 1

Red River 3, Bismarck 1

South 4, Minot 1

Red River 5, GPR 1

South 4, Red River 2

I saw a couple of posts earlier about the Bismarck and Red River game and how that is going to go. If Hillman is such a good goalie then I think he could hold them to 2-3. I mean the goalie for Jamestown held Red River to 6 goals with over 50 saves, 4 goals with over 40 shots, and in the edc 1st round game I think he only gave up 5 because I think the last one was an empty netter. I don't know how many shots they got on the Crookston goalie or the EGF goalie but I'm sure they got quite a few and only one goal and 4 goals in those games. So I think goalies do better against Red River with a lot of shots against them. I think it is a good chance that Hillman could have a great game because I think Bismarck is better than Jamestown.

From what I have been told the high schools provide reasonable priced eqipment such as helmets, hockey pants, and gloves. The players have to pay for their own sticks which are priced anywhere from $140-220. That is the price range for a "one-piece" hockey stick which is used by most players today at all levels above squirts. I have not seen a wood stick used by anyone so far this year.

There should be one good game I think on opening day that being the Minot/Central game which I think can go either way buy I expect Central to come out of the chutes after their poor performance at the EDC tournament.

Central 3 Minot 2

South 6 Devils Lake 0

GPR 5 Williston 2

Red River 4 Bismarck 1

South 5 Central 1

Red River 4 GPR 1

Red River 3 South 2

I said it because it is typical. I don't hate Grand Forks hockey, I hate the behavior of the GF teams' student cheering sections at hockey games. Booing the other team's player winning an award is just another example of classless behavior that is typical of both Red River and Central cheering sections. I've seen it time and time again for well over 20 years now.

Fans will be fans, booing the opposite team is part of every teams student section not just Grand Forks teams. Besides, im sure the GFRR fan's boos are the last thing on Paul W's mind.

I said it because it is typical. I don't hate Grand Forks hockey, I hate the behavior of the GF teams' student cheering sections at hockey games. Booing the other team's player winning an award is just another example of classless behavior that is typical of both Red River and Central cheering sections. I've seen it time and time again for well over 20 years now.

Fans will be fans, booing the opposite team is part of every teams student section not just Grand Forks teams. Besides, im sure the GFRR fan's boos are the last thing on Paul W's mind.

If you doN"T know the situation because the BOOing I suggest you keep you mouth SHUT!!!

I don't know if they have picked the nominees for Mr. Hockey or the voting is already done. I would like to know who you all think will be finalists. I know that i've asked before, but I want to know what you all think after EDC. Could Mihulka possibly have won Mr. Hockey last weekend or was it too little too late???

As to how first round will go.

I live in the West (Williston, 25 years), but I was born in GF and graduated HS in St. Paul before coming to UND for college. I have seen the differences in quality of teams over the years. My thought has been that Minot has, a couple of times, had the talent to win at State, but were not disciplined enough to accomplish it. This includes last year where I thought, talent wise they could win, but predicted GFC would knock them off in first round, which they did.

This year, I thought both Minot and Williston could win a first rounder, but with Williston's injuries that will not happen. I still think with Minot's new coaches they will win Thursday. They are quite talented and very physical. Their downfall is stupid penalties, a carryover from the old regime. If they stay out of the box unnecessarilly and get decent goaltending, they will win.

So, here goes:

Grafton will beat Williston 6-1. Williston is now a MASH unit. It could actually be worse than 6-1 if it snowballs. Jundt, Engberg and Rehak are for real on the blue line, though, and Rehak is only a sophomore. South will beat Devils Lake 4-1. Devils Lake's defense just does not allow a lot of scoring chances. Red River will beat Bismarck 5-0. I am not as high in Hillman as others. I think he is good, but over rated. I have seen him in important games be very average, plus he is small, so he does not cover a lot of net. It might actually be to his advantage to be the underdog and see a lot of rubber. But he is not the best goalie in the West, just the most hyped. Minot over GFC 3-1. It will be physical, and Minot will score on the power play twice.

See you all Thursday!

I dont believe the voting was done before this weekend because it is said that Martos EDC performance was when he got a lot of votes.

I think the finalist will be three of the four: Mihulka, Galt, Wesigarber, Paul Cambell with Mihulka hopefully winning.

South will beat DL worse that 4 or 5-1. Id say more like in the range of 9-0.

Agree with all that. Mihulka also has 2 less games than the 3 seniors ahead of him in scoring. He could have easily put 3 points up in two more games agaisnt most teams as he proved this weekend. If there was an MVP awarded he would definately win that. Obviously Weisgarber, Galt, Cambells are important to their team but you take away weisgarber or galt and you still got a top team in the state, RR minus Mihulka would still be good but not the caliber they are with him.

As to how first round will go.

I live in the West (Williston, 25 years), but I was born in GF and graduated HS in St. Paul before coming to UND for college. I have seen the differences in quality of teams over the years. My thought has been that Minot has, a couple of times, had the talent to win at State, but were not disciplined enough to accomplish it. This includes last year where I thought, talent wise they could win, but predicted GFC would knock them off in first round, which they did.

This year, I thought both Minot and Williston could win a first rounder, but with Williston's injuries that will not happen. I still think with Minot's new coaches they will win Thursday. They are quite talented and very physical. Their downfall is stupid penalties, a carryover from the old regime. If they stay out of the box unnecessarilly and get decent goaltending, they will win.

So, here goes:

Grafton will beat Williston 6-1. Williston is now a MASH unit. It could actually be worse than 6-1 if it snowballs. Jundt, Engberg and Rehak are for real on the blue line, though, and Rehak is only a sophomore. South will beat Devils Lake 4-1. Devils Lake's defense just does not allow a lot of scoring chances. Red River will beat Bismarck 5-0. I am not as high in Hillman as others. I think he is good, but over rated. I have seen him in important games be very average, plus he is small, so he does not cover a lot of net. It might actually be to his advantage to be the underdog and see a lot of rubber. But he is not the best goalie in the West, just the most hyped. Minot over GFC 3-1. It will be physical, and Minot will score on the power play twice.

See you all Thursday!

I would really like to know who you think the best goalie in the west is? I'm just curious, because I along with probably most of the posters on this board think otherwise. I'm not attacking you i'm just curious as to who you think is the best.

There should be some good games, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't come down to South-Red River for the championship:

Minot 3, Central 2

South 5, Devils Lake 0

GPR 3, Williston 1

Red River 3, Bismarck 1

South 4, Minot 1

Red River 5, GPR 1

South 4, Red River 2

Minot 4, Central 1

South 4, Devils Lake 2

GPR 5, Williston 1

RR 3, Bismarck 2 (Shots 36 to 17)

South 2, Minot 3