SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too was at the game and i must say it was a good game for both sides. Each time is very even in my opinion..Did they quit giving sportsmanship awards for the region tournament or is that alwasy been state and they didnt name a east region tournament MVP but i guess we all know who that would of been. I belive it ouwld of been Marc Milhulka, cant say enough about this kid 3 straight hat tricks and one against the the 2nd best team in the state (Fargo South). BTW why do they call him ten bears or did i hear wrong. Who do you guys think would of been the tournament MVP? Im surprised there wasnt that many people there for south but i guess the drive is jsut too exepnsive with gas. Also i was talkin to some security guards who I believe are beign told to take the fun out of cheering. THey told me they took away 5 cow bells on thursday and 3 air horns too. All of these though were tookin from the Red River student section. I thought the refs made some bad calls but i guess they cant make all the calls and i bellieve those peopel who say the Ref's favor GFRR are saying lies but it looekd to me liek tehy were on the side of FArgo South but that just could be me. Looks like theres gunna be an all east region semi's this year again and maybe even a all GF final again for which im hoping for cuase of all the poepel that go to the games. I remeber last year they had to oepn up the top seating becuase of so many poeple were coming in.

Who did win all the EDC awards? I left before the awards ceremony so I missed that.

There were more penalties called on Red River tonight (not sure of the numbers off-hand, but it wasn't what I would call lopsided) but I don't think that necessarily means the refs were favoring South. Sometimes one team actually does commit more penalties than the other team. :huh:

Seriously, though, the two teams were incredibly evenly matched. I hadn't seen either of their previous games, but they're so close that the smallest thing or a lucky bounce can make a big difference. Judging just from tonight's game and who was controlling the puck I'd say that Red River's first line has a slight edge over South's first line, but South's second and third lines have a slight edge. The goalies are about even.

Here's hoping they get the opportunity for a rematch next weekend for the state title!

Who did win all the EDC awards? I left before the awards ceremony so I missed that.

There were more penalties called on Red River tonight (not sure of the numbers off-hand, but it wasn't what I would call lopsided) but I don't think that necessarily means the refs were favoring South. Sometimes one team actually does commit more penalties than the other team. :huh:

Seriously, though, the two teams were incredibly evenly matched. I hadn't seen either of their previous games, but they're so close that the smallest thing or a lucky bounce can make a big difference. Judging just from tonight's game and who was controlling the puck I'd say that Red River's first line has a slight edge over South's first line, but South's second and third lines have a slight edge. The goalies are about even.

Here's hoping they get the opportunity for a rematch next weekend for the state title!

As far as I can remember:

All conference

South-Weisgarber, Larson, Campbell, Galt, Deichert

Grafton/PR-P. Campbell, Peterson

RR-Mihulka, LaDoucer,Galbreath,Rosendahl

Central-Simonson

Shanley-Harrie

W. Fargo-Swanson

Sorry if I missed anyone.

As far as the penalties are concerned, RR was one of the most penalized teams in the state and South was one of the least penalized. The fact that RR had more penalties tonight wouldn't surprise me.

I agree 100% with on this being a game of bounces sometimes. South's first goal was a screen shot by Galt. The goalie had no chance, and I think one of RR's goals went off a body and another one was batted out of the air[legally]

Congrats to Paul on winning the Mr Hockey Runner Up award tonigth! Mihulka is truely an amazing player. No other way to put it.

All EDC is as Follows:

G-Sean Diechart

G-Eli Rosendahl RR

D-Eric Galt FS

D-Andy Peterson GPR

D-Ryan LaDoucer RR

D-Jarret Galbreath RR

D-Marc Harrie Shanley

D- Tyler Swanson WF

F-Mark "Ten Bears" Mihulka RR

F-Adam Cambell FS

F-Grant Larson FS

F-Paul Wisegarber FS

F-Paul Cambell GPR

F-Thomas Cambell GPR

F- Alex Simonson GFC

Congrats to Paul on winning the Mr Hockey Runner Up award tonigth! Mihulka is truely an amazing player. No other way to put it.

All EDC is as Follows:

G-Sean Diechart

G-Eli Rosendahl RR

D-Eric Galt FS

D-Andy Peterson GPR

D-Ryan LaDoucer RR

D-Jarret Galbreath RR

D-Marc Harrie Shanley

D- Tyler Swanson WF

F-Mark "Ten Bears" Mihulka RR

F-Adam Cambell FS

F-Grant Larson FS

F-Paul Wisegarbage FS

F-Paul Cambell GPR

F-Thomas Cambell GPR

F- Alex Simonson GFC

Very interesting spelling on some of the names. You were obviously in the RR student section. [see my earlier post]

I too was at the game and i must say it was a good game for both sides. Each time is very even in my opinion..Did they quit giving sportsmanship awards for the region tournament or is that alwasy been state and they didnt name a east region tournament MVP but i guess we all know who that would of been. I belive it ouwld of been Marc Milhulka, cant say enough about this kid 3 straight hat tricks and one against the the 2nd best team in the state (Fargo South). BTW why do they call him ten bears or did i hear wrong. Who do you guys think would of been the tournament MVP? Im surprised there wasnt that many people there for south but i guess the drive is jsut too exepnsive with gas. Also i was talkin to some security guards who I believe are beign told to take the fun out of cheering. THey told me they took away 5 cow bells on thursday and 3 air horns too. All of these though were tookin from the Red River student section. I thought the refs made some bad calls but i guess they cant make all the calls and i bellieve those peopel who say the Ref's favor GFRR are saying lies but it looekd to me liek tehy were on the side of FArgo South but that just could be me. Looks like theres gunna be an all east region semi's this year again and maybe even a all GF final again for which im hoping for cuase of all the poepel that go to the games. I remeber last year they had to oepn up the top seating becuase of so many poeple were coming in.

Marc Mihulka is refered as "Ten Bears" because it has been proven many times that he has the stength of ten bears. What an amazing player to watch. He makes the game so much more exciting to watch when he is on the ice. Hopefully his huge EDC performance of 3 hat tricks in 3 games will draw some votes for Mr. Hockey from some of the coaches around the state this week.

For all you home owners out there this is where your property tax goes.... trying to not be political but if you truly graduated high school the GF public school system owes you, me and everyone on here an apoligy.

ponder the following as you re-read your post.....

Move the game to fargo or a neutral site and lets see how many of the GF hopeful make the trip.

Also, the all GF final looks alittle bleak unless GFC can work out some of the kinks in it's armor... i.e 4-1 loss to WF and a 3-2 double O.T win over Jamestown. GFC's road to State.... Lose to the 4 seed beat the 8 seed in double OT and squeak by the 6 seed. WOW it's safe to say that they are rolling and they WILL NOT CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

West capsules:

Minot (#1) Big physical team. Skate three lines and use three full sets of D-men. Much better disciplined this year under Burckard. Like to fly a winger out and get along pass to him. Get lots of icings due to this. Do still take a couple foolish penalties each game. Could win a first rounder.

Williston (#2) Three good offensive Defensemen who like to rush the puck and jump into the play. Only use four D-men regularly. Best goalie in the West. Have been using three lines all year. One good checking line and two speedy scoring lines. Have had the injury bug hit them recently. Appear to have lost three forwards for state. One shoulder surgery (biggest physical forward), one broken arm (leading scorer) and one knee (fastest skater). Will probably be forced to skate short up front. That spells doom against the East. Too bad, with full lineup, this was a scary team! Grafton caught a break, here.

Devils Lake (#3) This is the hardest working team in the West. They skate hard every shift and outwork their opponents. Not a lot of scoring power up front, but a great and solid defensive group of defensmen (what else would you expect feom an Al Henry team?). Goalie runs hot and cold. This is a very young team. Won't make noise this year, but look out for the next two years with all these sophomores. Even moving to the East, with Henry behind the bench, this team will need to be reckoned with!

Bismarck (#4) This team is an enigma. Best scoring line in the West. Not much offensive depth past the first line. Non descript defense that you just don't get excited about. Good goalie in Hillman. Like Minot, prone to taking the foolish penalty from their better players. Can't see them winning on Thursday.

Because of Williston's injuries, only Minot has a shot to advance on Thursday. Hope that helps you "Easterners" figure things out.

"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

I think GFRR and FSH should just face off in a 7 game series for the State Championship. Also to accomadate the enormous fan base that will be there, the games will have to be held at Yankee Stadium.

By the way, its now official, the second period of all East Region Tournament games from now on is referred to as "Marc's Time" in reference to Marc Mihulkas 7 second period goals in this years tournament. Look it up.

West capsules:

Minot (#1) Big physical team. Skate three lines and use three full sets of D-men. Much better disciplined this year under Burckard. Like to fly a winger out and get along pass to him. Get lots of icings due to this. Do still take a couple foolish penalties each game. Could win a first rounder.

Williston (#2) Three good offensive Defensemen who like to rush the puck and jump into the play. Only use four D-men regularly. Best goalie in the West. Have been using three lines all year. One good checking line and two speedy scoring lines. Have had the injury bug hit them recently. Appear to have lost three forwards for state. One shoulder surgery (biggest physical forward), one broken arm (leading scorer) and one knee (fastest skater). Will probably be forced to skate short up front. That spells doom against the East. Too bad, with full lineup, this was a scary team! Grafton caught a break, here.

Devils Lake (#3) This is the hardest working team in the West. They skate hard every shift and outwork their opponents. Not a lot of scoring power up front, but a great and solid defensive group of defensmen (what else would you expect feom an Al Henry team?). Goalie runs hot and cold. This is a very young team. Won't make noise this year, but look out for the next two years with all these sophomores. Even moving to the East, with Henry behind the bench, this team will need to be reckoned with!

Bismarck (#4) This team is an enigma. Best scoring line in the West. Not much offensive depth past the first line. Non descript defense that you just don't get excited about. Good goalie in Hillman. Like Minot, prone to taking the foolish penalty from their better players. Can't see them winning on Thursday.

Because of Williston's injuries, only Minot has a shot to advance on Thursday. Hope that helps you "Easterners" figure things out.

"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

I agree with most of your imformation Doc. Minot is alot more disciplined under Burckhard and I think that Minot has the best Offense in the West with players like Dittus,Lundy,Stremick,Kelly,Schmidt,and Tollefson althought they have no standouts on defense they are not bad defensivley and their goalie can be very good at times. With Williston it is a tough break for them as they lost Liffrig,Erickson,and Lee. Williston will have to rely on Bustad, Jundt, Engberg and Reahak to accomplish anything past the 1st round of the State Tourney. With their goalie I dont beleive he is the best in the west but he has been solid as of late, most of his success(stats) is due to the solid defensive play of the team as he sees less than 20 shots a game. Devils Lake is definitely the hardest working team in the west as I'm sure any of the west coach's would say. They have a couple of guys up front who can bury the puck and their defense is very strong. The goaltending situation is as Doc stated "hot and cold" Groves can play very well at times but can also be unreliable at times it just depends on the day. Devils Lake could be a sleeper in the Tournament although i do not think they will beat Fargo South this group beleives they can beat anyone and could possibly suprise someone. With Bismarck they do have a very strong first line with players like Monson,Connel and whoever else they throw in on the line. The defense is shaky at times but also very strong at times. The backbone of the team is their goaltender who has stolen some wins for them.Bismarck's weak spot is their tendancy to take dumb penalties escpecially late in the game and it is normally from one of their top players.This team can be described as nothing else but inconsistent.

Also the West Region All Tournament team.

MHS- Dittus Stremick Hendrickson

WHS- Erickson Jundt Haugenoe

DL- Olson Everson

BHS- Monson Connel Hillman Dingeman

WEST REGION ATHLETE OF THE YEAR- Tyler Jundt

COACH OF THE YEAR- Al Henry

Very interesting spelling on some of the names. You were obviously in the RR student section. [see my earlier post]

Very interesting that you pointed this out - Hey everyone- go back and reread junior24's original post. He spelled the name "Weisgarber". Stars9 then went and changed it to "Wisegarbage". Pretty classy, Stars.

great game tonight at Purpur! Well played by both teams. I expect a rematch next week at State. The only blemish on the whole night was the Red River student section booing the award to the Senior athlete of the year award. Classless....

That was horrible. For them to think that he did not deserve that. Of course, somehow they will still get the spirit award or sportsmanship award next week. Not that is it a big deal. but jsut stating my point

For all you home owners out there this is where your property tax goes.... trying to not be political but if you truly graduated high school the GF public school system owes you, me and everyone on here an apoligy.

ponder the following as you re-read your post.....

Move the game to fargo or a neutral site and lets see how many of the GF hopeful make the trip.

Also, the all GF final looks alittle bleak unless GFC can work out some of the kinks in it's armor... i.e 4-1 loss to WF and a 3-2 double O.T win over Jamestown. GFC's road to State.... Lose to the 4 seed beat the 8 seed in double OT and squeak by the 6 seed. WOW it's safe to say that they are rolling and they WILL NOT CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very interesting that you pointed this out - Hey everyone- go back and reread junior24's original post. He spelled the name "Weisgarber". Stars9 then went and changed it to "Wisegarbage". Pretty classy, Stars.

I bet Stars was an amazing hockey player himself! To point out faults in amazing athletes. Stars, I do not know who coached you or what program you came from, but I have three words for you; Class, Character and integrity. You hide behind a private screen name on here to post negative aspects about players that are probably three times the player you ever were/are. Have respect for Campbells, Weisgarber, Mulhulka, Galt, Klenow (just to name a few from the East) What good does it do for you to say things like that. Not only is it tasteless, but now you have totally ruined whatever reputation you had on here. Nice job...

Here's what I thought of the game, and the tournament and upcoming state tourney as a whole.

-Red River/South was a GREAT game. These teams are far and away the two best in the state (like you guys didn't already know that). Thought that the refs were a little disappointing in the third period, especially on the penalty call with about 2 minutes left. I have no idea how he saw a trip out of that, but oh well. They were pretty solid for the most part anyway.

-I have heard rumors (hopefully untrue) that the Mr. Hockey voting is already completed. If that is true, Marc Mihulka got terribly shafted. Never before have I seen one player dominate the way he did not only tonite, but also the entire tournament and the past 3 weeks of the season (multiple goals in 8 of their last 10 games). He may have single-handedly won Mr. Hockey this weekend...

-I was at the North/Central game tonite and I saw something that really made me wonder how badly North wanted to win. Near the end of the game, after North had just scored to make it a 2 goal defecit, 5-3, I noticed Klenow coasting around the ice and not exactly busting his ass as if his high school career was nearing an end. The game was not yet over, and North could've easily scored in the time that was left in the game (see: Red River/North game last year). I mentioned this to a friend and he wholeheartedly agreed.

-What was with Dean Wilson winning coach of the year? Don't get me wrong, but isn't this one of their most talented teams ever? Didn't they have the same conference record as Red River, who was picked as the 8th best team in the state in a preseason magazine? Hmm...that's pretty questionable if you ask me. The award should've gone to either Matt Malm or Ross Richards from West Fargo.

-I'm going to go out on a limb and predict a Red River/South championship game. I just do not see any team that would be able to knock either of these powerhouses off.

-Congrats to Minot on winning the west- now the question is (as I'm sure Wilbur will agree) if they can get by their first round tourney jitters and knock off Central. I would not be at all surprised to see Central win that game, but then again I could see Minot blowing out the Knights as well. Should be the best game in the first round.

-Too bad about Williston having so many injuries to their top players. With them in the lineup, I would've had them beating a very underachieving Grafton/Park River team in the first round.

WILL NOT CANNOT BE STOPPED?? What the heck does that mean? It will be a South V Red River final again. And the best team will win (I hope RR) but unless, Congragts to the Bruins. By the way where is North for the 4th year in a row?, and W Fargo, as always. Grafton & GFC are here again, so don't knock Central for struggling to get to to state again, while other teams missed AGAIN! And moving the game to Fargo or Minot or Bismarck wouldn't change a thing!!!!

The only one who can edit or change a post is the original author, not me! But Tron maybe if you knew anything about how this posting works maybe you wouldn't try bashing on an innocent poster, because you have a whole FIVE POSTS!!! In this clever case junior posted those names and when i quoted it, it showed up and then junior must have felt so terrible about it, that he had to go back and change it, and have his friend here (Tron) made me look like the guilty one. Nice try though!!

P.S. By the way who do you think would be more likely to post somthing like that about Paul? Me who lives in Fargo and supports Paul or a RR supporter who a couple hours before making that post, just saw his beloved Mihulka lose to Paul for the Senior player of they year?

The only one who can edit ort change a post is the original author, not me! Nice try-- classless again.

Yeah Mihulka had a three game stretch during the tourney... Certainly hasn't been there all year. Definately helped his case this weekend. It was a great hockey game last night. South brought about their B- game though to tell you the truth. The fans from Red River were about the worst I have ever seen. Oh well though they can have EDC we will see what happens at state. Congratulations to the Grand Forks Red River "Mihulkas". They would be lucky to beat Shanley without him and Spies. So maybe he does deserve Mr. Hockey.

Now this proves my previous post. I posted that one line, Cory quoted my ORIGINAL post and then I went back an edited it. Now the original post is gone and the new one replaced it, so should I say that Cory went and changed my post.... I dont think so. Too bad Tron and Junior couldn't of figured that one out.