SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minot 7 Century 1-Just Heard the score, and that Dittus for Minot had a hattrick.

I kind of questioned both misconducts that the Central players recieved as well. Slominski didn't swear or anything, I was standing at that end of the ice, and all he yelled was "thats a dive". I'm not sure what the other Central player said, that was at center ice, but he looked surprised as well to serve the penalty.

As long as we are talking about Ladoucer penalties, I got one too once for looking at him the wrong way. :)

South 4 North 0. Typical South/North game, got pretty chippy. I thought very poorly officiated, inconsistant calls. They kinda lost control of the game. I didn't hear what the final shots were, but it was 28-8 after 2 periods.

North/South was an interesting game. It was 0-0 after one period and 3-0 at the end of 2. South's first line put their fourth goal in with about a minute to go vs North's 3rd or 4th line. Not sure what happened after the game but a South player got a 5 and a game DQ for slashing which happened sometime after the final buzzer. Not sure who it is but a South player will be out for a game or two. South, as expected, outshot North but both goalies had some big saves. Tough week for South with all that has been going on.

Thanks. Cory is done for the season. He is looking at major reconstructive surgery on his wrist, for the second time. It is pretty likely he is done playing hockey for good, he is at UND hanging out with Brian Lee, living vicariously through him.

There are a number of players who could play DIII. I wish Concordia would focus on their program more, they could have some really good teams if they recruited more locally. I know a few Moorhead kids (Cory Johnson, Ryan Clukey and others) are playing now. I do not know of any ND kids playing in the MIAC, in the past I know Jared Klava played somewhere in the MIAC. Toby Schneider, Christian Keidrowski, and Mike Gast played for Concordia.

Nate Speidel from Hazen and Jake Hipp from Bismarck both play for St. John's of the MIAC via the Bismarck Bobcats. Scott Bjorklund of Moorhead is also on the Johnnies roster. There are no other North Dakota kids in the MIAC. Scott Honkola from Bismarck does play for D III College of St. Scholastica (in Duluth) which, after a few years of struggling, has become a force in D-III hockey this year. I happened to watch Concordia play St. Mary's of Winona about a week or so ago. Cory Johnson for Concordia looked good but the Cobbers overall did not as they lost 7-2. Jared Klava played for Gustavus and had a fairly good run there before heading off to dental school.

Kindof irrelevant, but I worked with a guy who is heavily involved in some way with Cobber football and athletics in general. I don't believe he's a coach, but anyways he's really close to the Cobber athletic program, specifically football.

I talked to him, his son btw, plays football for Bemidji State, about Cory Johnson. I told him I thought he could play DI hockey. He said he agreed except that wasn't what Cory wanted to do. He wanted to stay close to home because his mother is battling cancer. How much of this is true, I'm taking his word on. He's a teacher and not one who is prone to lying. But if it is true, I HAVE to respect Cory for it.

Anyways, quality win vs. North for the Bruins. I hope they can continue their good luck against Central.

Is anyone heading out to the Shanley/Hazen Beulah game and can provide a scouting report on Hazen's sophomore forward Tyrel McBain who sits tied for first (after Friday night's games) in state scoring right now with 50 points? It would be interesting to get some info on him.

I think the Central/South game could be a good one for a couple of reasons. Although I haven't seen them play, it sounds like Central is playing some very good hockey right now. They've had some huge wins against Warroad and Grafton. It sounded like South struggled a little with North, and one of their players is out for the game tonite. Also, will playing two games in consecutive days hurt South? If so, we could be looking at a close game tonite.

Is anyone heading out to the Shanley/Hazen Beulah game and can provide a scouting report on Hazen's sophomore forward Tyrel McBain who sits tied for first (after Friday night's games) in state scoring right now with 50 points? It would be interesting to get some info on him.

I've seen him play a few times against Bismarck and Century and Mandan. He is a bigger forward(i'm not sure on his exact height, but he looks well built out there. His main asset IMO was his strength on the puck. He wasn't an outstandingly fast player, but he could hold onto the puck in traffic. He also had a cannon of a wrist shot. That could can snap it from anywhere and score. He also has a very hard slap shot. In a couple of the closer games, he had a tendency to disappear, but then would somehow come from nowhere and score a few goals. So he looks like a kid that definetely has a knack for scoring, and since he's only a sophomore, he can only get better from here.

I think the Central/South game could be a good one for a couple of reasons. Although I haven't seen them play, it sounds like Central is playing some very good hockey right now. They've had some huge wins against Warroad and Grafton. It sounded like South struggled a little with North, and one of their players is out for the game tonite. Also, will playing two games in consecutive days hurt South? If so, we could be looking at a close game tonite.

I don't think playing games two nights in a row is going to make a difference. They play 3 games in 3 days in the holiday tournament and both EDC and State. If they can't handle 2 games back to back...

Central always plays South pretty close, so it could definitely be a close game. South did get off to a slow start yesterday, but still pretty much dominated the whole way, and North didn't get their best scoring chances until they were on a 2-man advantage late in the game, and already down 3-0. I don't think fatigue will be much of a factor, since South didn't have to travel at all, and Central had a tough game against Grafton on Thursday night. It should be a pretty good game but I expect South to win by at least a couple goals.

I saw McBain play Shanley the first time around and just like crosby 87 said there are spots in the game where you forget you're watching the leading scorer in the state, then he'll come done the wall and snipe one shortside. It's his first year of playing varsity hockey I think and if he stays in Hazen he could maybe help bring a WDA title to the Stars. Grafton-Red River tonight big one for Red River and South, closed circuit to X2theZ you going to be there to give a recap??

I saw McBain play Shanley the first time around and just like crosby 87 said there are spots in the game where you forget you're watching the leading scorer in the state, then he'll come done the wall and snipe one shortside. It's his first year of playing varsity hockey I think and if he stays in Hazen he could maybe help bring a WDA title to the Stars. Grafton-Red River tonight big one for Red River and South, closed circuit to X2theZ you going to be there to give a recap??

Yes, I should be able to give you a report although, I ussually go out for some brandy after big GPR wins. ( Yes you heard it here first.

I believe he played varsity last year also, but i'm not 100% on that one. I think most of Hazen's best talent will be graduating this year, so I guess it wouldn't surprise me if Mcbain(being that his parents are willing) moves to minot or bismarck to play for a better team? I haven't heard anything like that, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me too much.

Minot 4 Devils Lake 3 OT

Devils Lake absolutely deserved to win this hockey game. They outshot, outhit, outplayed a very flat minot team. I guess I'll let Minot get away with the excuse that the game didn't mean much other than senior night, but they still have to play better to make any noise at WDA or state. I give Al Henry and his team all the credit in the world. Only 3 seniors on the team, and a majority of the ice time was taken by juniors and sophomores....look out for DL next year, and the rest of this year.

PS: Before the game a moment was taken in remembrance of Brady Samson, the son of former Minot High School coach Gary Samson who passed away after a courageous battle with muscular dystrophy. From now on they will hand out an award named after Brady that will go to the player on the team that best exemplifies the spirit of good play and love for his team. It was a very emotional little ceremony and for the first time in many years I found tears in my eyes at a hockey game.

Fargo South 7, GF Central 1

South got off to a slow start, either due to fatigue or adjusting to playing without starting defenseman Danny Wurden (apparently he got the game misconduct after yesterday's game) and Central went up 1-0 in the first few minutes.

South picked it up after that and their third line put in three goals before the end of the first period. That line got another goal in the second, and the first-line power play got two more to go up 6-1 after the 2nd. They tapped in another goal in the closing minutes to win 7-1.

Other than about the first half of the first period, South pretty much dominated the action. I believe the shots ended up even in the first period and were pretty lopsided after that for South.

Fargo South 7, GF Central 1

South got off to a slow start, either due to fatigue or adjusting to playing without starting defenseman Danny Wurden (apparently he got the game misconduct after yesterday's game) and Central went up 1-0 in the first few minutes.

South picked it up after that and their third line put in three goals before the end of the first period. That line got another goal in the second, and the first-line power play got two more to go up 6-1 after the 2nd. They tapped in another goal in the closing minutes to win 7-1.

Other than about the first half of the first period, South pretty much dominated the action. I believe the shots ended up even in the first period and were pretty lopsided after that for South.

Danny Wurden isn't a starting defenseman Galt and Spriggs are. Erick Galt commited to Lincoln today to play in the USHL as soon as the season is over.

Danny Wurden isn't a starting defenseman Galt and Spriggs are. Erick Galt commited to Lincoln today to play in the USHL as soon as the season is over.

Wurden may not start but he is deffinetly the second defensemen and i would assume he doesn't start so they can even things up between the first and second units.

6-2 Red-river, Grafton had a chance to tie it in the first but One of the campbell's missed a great oppurtunity, after that it was all red river. Dissapointing way to end the year if your a spoiler fan but I can still see the spoilers making some noise in the tourney.

Red River over GPR 6-2. Red River gets the number one seed and South is number two. Red River and South are Co-EDC Champions.

Gosh, that's a shocker. :)

Anyways, I think the rematch between GFRR and FS could be a great game (if they actually get to that point). I don't know who will win. Maybe Red River will get them like Central did in Football... come to think of it, South IS dominating in hockey like they dominated in football this year... I hope not. But who knows.

To be honest, if Red River wins it, I'll be happy. If anyone else wins it, I'll also be happy. If South wins it, I'll be ecstatic.

I just got back from the RR-GPR game, which I thought was well-played bith ways. I have one question however, what is the deal with Tony Kringstad? He has to be the biggest baby I have ever seen in a hockey game, any age. After RRs 5th goal, he turned around to a kid, probably between 11 and 14 who was pounding the glass after the goal, and blatantly pointed at him and said "F#$% you". The kid was in no way taunting him and there was absolutely no reason for it. He lays down on his net and throws his stick every time a goal is scored on him, at one point tonight a coach on the bench was forced to yell at him for about 10 seconds from the bench to get up. Anyone who disagrees with me has to spend a game standing behind him and I can guarantee you will agree. He is a disgrace to the rest of his team.