SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

Don't get me wrong he plays the 3rd line but I rarely see them...

Any chance he might go 1-2-1-2-3?

Ok and i mighta went a little far saying I hated him...I just don't agree with him...but I'm not wearing the fancy suits behind the benches

looking at gillands website souths third line must be playing because they have more points than most other teams second lines. as far as I can tell, wilson rolls three lines except of course power plays and penalty kills.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at Gillen's site and decided to look at penalty minutes for the teams in the state. I was wondering if there was any coorelation between penalties and records. One would think the top teams would have less penalties than the bottom teams[more power plays and less time shorthanded]. For the most part that is true. South is the least penalized team in the East, second only to Williston in the State. Jamestown and Whapeton have the most penalty minutes. What was surprising is Red River is just behind those two. I wouldn't have thought one of the leading teams would be that highly penalized. In the west, Williston and Minot are the least penalized[kind of a change for Minot compared to last year!] Any thoughts or comments?

I was looking at Gillen's site and decided to look at penalty minutes for the teams in the state. I was wondering if there was any coorelation between penalties and records. One would think the top teams would have less penalties than the bottom teams[more power plays and less time shorthanded]. For the most part that is true. South is the least penalized team in the East, second only to Williston in the State. Jamestown and Whapeton have the most penalty minutes. What was surprising is Red River is just behind those two. I wouldn't have thought one of the leading teams would be that highly penalized. In the west, Williston and Minot are the least penalized[kind of a change for Minot compared to last year!] Any thoughts or comments?

It is quite amazing how Minot has changed their penalty minutes from last year. Last year I believe they were the most penalized team in the state, or very close to it. The new coaching staff in place simply will not accept stupid penalties. A lot of times in the past Minot got a lot of retaliation penalties, or talking to the reff penalties, and that simply hasn't happened this year. I remember a game earlier this year when a player from Minot was hit with a blatant leg trip against EGF, and I thought "here we go". Instead of going after the guy or going after the reff, the player looked at the coach and the coach motioned him over to the bench so nothing ended up happening....First time in a long time I'd seen something like that... ;)

It is quite amazing how Minot has changed their penalty minutes from last year. Last year I believe they were the most penalized team in the state, or very close to it. The new coaching staff in place simply will not accept stupid penalties. A lot of times in the past Minot got a lot of retaliation penalties, or talking to the reff penalties, and that simply hasn't happened this year. I remember a game earlier this year when a player from Minot was hit with a blatant leg trip against EGF, and I thought "here we go". Instead of going after the guy or going after the reff, the player looked at the coach and the coach motioned him over to the bench so nothing ended up happening....First time in a long time I'd seen something like that... ;)

Chad Burkard has total control of his team. I can't agree more with you. If you get a little respect from the kids alot will change. Chad is good with the officals as well. He doesn't complain that much and deals with it and rolls. He will only agrue something if it was a for sure mistake from the official. Its big difference from last 10 odd years of Minot high school hockey.

Minot has a huge weekend. Tonight is Red River, and on Saturday they travel up to Grafton.

Anyone got any scores to report from tonights games?

A little recap of the game last night GPR-6 WF-0. GPR's powerplay was impressive, One good note for Spoiler fans lots of players were getting into the scoring. I took off after the 2nd period, because it was already 6-0. Somthing I heard from my employees that stayed, was the 3rd period got chippy, apparently a few of the Wf players tried to show thier toughness. I wasn't impressed when I heard this but since, I wasn't thier for the third period I can't elaborate on specifics. All in all it was nice to see the home town team enjoy some success.

Red River 5 Minot 4

First of all, what a great high school hockey game. Back and forth all night long, and the best player wins it with one second left for Red River (Mihulka). I am very happy to say I know the kids from Minot after their game tonight. They played toe to toe with one of the best teams in the state, and they could have won it if they had taken advantage of a couple more opportunities.

I was impressed with the play of Rosendahl and Mihulka again for Red River. Rosendahl made some great saves, and of the ones he let in, none could be considered weak. Minot probably made a mistake in starting their backup goaltender which put them down 4-1 through two with a couple of questionable goals, but when they got their starter in the game they played pretty well.

Mihulka is a great player. Red River can just jump on his back, and let him do his thing. The kid works his tail off, and deserves the goals he scores. I've gotta believe he'll be in the Mr. Hockey top three.

Great hockey game. :blush:

Wilbur, were you at the game ? Listened to the Minot announcers :blush: What happened at the end of the game. Announcers said refs blew a offsides call on a Minot scoring opportunity, than followed that with a weak unsportsmanlike call for shooting the puck after the whistle? I can't believe a ref would make that call in a tie hockey game. Burchardt started the back up goalie to put a torch under his teams ars and his starting goalie. Bown gave up 4 goals in Hazen on something like 14 shots. Just letting the boys know , no one is safe.

Wilbur, were you at the game ? Listened to the Minot announcers :blush: What happened at the end of the game. Announcers said refs blew a offsides call on a Minot scoring opportunity, than followed that with a weak unsportsmanlike call for shooting the puck after the whistle? I can't believe a ref would make that call in a tie hockey game. Burchardt started the back up goalie to put a torch under his teams ars and his starting goalie. Bown gave up 4 goals in Hazen on something like 14 shots. Just letting the boys know , no one is safe.

The call for unsportsmanlike was not a weak call. The kid clearly shot the puck after the whistle was blown on an offsides call. Obviously the Minot announcers are going to say that it was a bad call.

Red River came out flat in both the first and third periods and looked as if they were going to lose midway through the third. Minot scored the first goal of the game on a shot from the point where the RR goalie was not in the net. RR had a 4-1 lead after the second and gave up 3 goals in a matter of 9 minutes to start the third. The game could have gone either way. Another factor to think about is that RR scored its 4 goals on Minot's backup goalie. This may have been a different game if they would have started David Bown. Brandon Tollefson must feel ashamed of the penalty that he took with 16 seconds left for unsportsmanlike conduct after he shot the puck at RR's goalie clearly after the whistle (as stated in my previous post). I thought that RR could have played a lot better and they were fortunate to come out of this one with a win. Overall this was a great high school hockey game.

Also even though this is off topic may I add that Minot's JV team looked to me as one of the cheapest teams I've seen this year. After the JV game some of the Minot JV player's wanted to start a fight with some of the RR JV players. I thought I would add this just to tell everyone that RR is not perceived as a cheap or sorelosing team.

I was at the game:

The unsportsmanlike was not a weak call. I have no idea what Tollefson was doing. He shot it right at the goalie like three seconds after the whistle blew. That wasn't a bad call. Any official in the state would have made this call.

I was also there for the end of the JV game, and didn't see anything about Minot players wanting to start a fight (at least on the ice....) The guys just shook hands with the reffs, and they went off the ice. I guess I didn't see anything. :lol:

I believe it has to do with goal differential against Grafton. South beat them 2-1, and 6-2, for a differential of 5. Red River beat them 4-1, and plays them later this month. Red River needs to win (obviously) and do so by 3 goals to get the #1 seed. If they win by 2 goals, I have absolutely no idea what they'd do next.... :blush:

I believe it has to do with goal differential against Grafton. South beat them 2-1, and 6-2, for a differential of 5. Red River beat them 4-1, and plays them later this month. Red River needs to win (obviously) and do so by 3 goals to get the #1 seed. If they win by 2 goals, I have absolutely no idea what they'd do next.... :blush:

If Red River wins by two it goes to a coinflip. If they only win by one then South gets the top seed.

I was at the game:

The unsportsmanlike was not a weak call. I have no idea what Tollefson was doing. He shot it right at the goalie like three seconds after the whistle blew. That wasn't a bad call. Any official in the state would have made this call.

I was also there for the end of the JV game, and didn't see anything about Minot players wanting to start a fight (at least on the ice....) The guys just shook hands with the reffs, and they went off the ice. I guess I didn't see anything. :lol:

Actually that big defensmen from the Minot JV team was pulled from the line as they were shaking hands and told to get off the ice. Also, during the varsity game Minot JV players came and sat near the RR JV team and they were running there mouth. They were quickly shut up when they realized they lost 4-1.

As stated before RR dominated the second half of the first and whole second period. They came out very flat in the third and Minot capitalized on there odd man rush, and point blank oppertunities. The more i watch LaDoucer and Galbreath the more amazed I am with how good they are. Hope to see them in a Sioux Uniform in a few years.

Actually that big defensmen from the Minot JV team was pulled from the line as they were shaking hands and told to get off the ice. Also, during the varsity game Minot JV players came and sat near the RR JV team and they were running there mouth. They were quickly shut up when they realized they lost 4-1.

As stated before RR dominated the second half of the first and whole second period. They came out very flat in the third and Minot capitalized on there odd man rush, and point blank oppertunities. The more i watch LaDoucer and Galbreath the more amazed I am with how good they are. Hope to see them in a Sioux Uniform in a few years.

I hope your kidding about seeing those two in Sioux uniforms. The last thing we need is two defensemen who are going to have trouble handling forwards from Concordia, trying to handle forwards from Denver. If you think saying they'd have trouble with forwards from Concordia is a stretch, give Cory Johnson a call, I'm sure he'd love to have a one on one against them.