SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

minot beat williston 2-1 minot had two pp goals both teams showed up but minot had the two pp goals very physical and fast paced game, i talked to a coach i know from williston and they were missing 3 players one was injured before the game one is out for the season (tyler liffring?) and one of there starting defense is fighting a shoulder injury the teams looked fairly even however they were both physical and fast paced.

With Minot's win last night, they've officially wrapped up the # 1 seed in the West Region tournament in Bismarck. It's the Magicians 12th time since 1982 that they've been the West Region Regular Season Champions (83,84,87,88,89,90,93,94,98,03,05,06). They shared the title with Bottineau in 1993. So with the number # 1 seed in the west settled, a number of teams are battling for seeds 2 through 4. Here's how it looks coming down the stretch : (By the way ... yes, Minot could lose their last 3 games, and Bismarck High could win their last 4, and both teams would have 26 points, but Minot High holds the tiebreaker ... head-to-head 2-0.

Minot (26 pts.) has these remaining WDA games left :

1/28 at Hazen-Beulah

2/10 at Bismarck Century

2/11 v.s. Devils Lake

Williston (19 Pts.) remaining WDA games :

1/28 v.s. Bismarck Century

2/4 v.s. Bottineau

2/11 at Bismarck High

Bismarck High (18 Pts.) remaining WDA games :

1/31 v.s. Hazen-Beulah

2/3 at Devils Lake

2/7 v.s. Mandan

2/11 v.s. Williston

Devils Lake (15 Pts.) remaining WDA games :

1/28 v.s. Dickinson

1/31 at Bottineau

2/3 v.s. Bismarck High

2/10 v.s. Bottineau

2/11 at Minot

Hazen-Beulah (12 Pts.) remaining WDA games :

1/28 v.s. Minot

1/31 at Bismarck High

2/4 v.s. Mandan

2/7 at Dickinson

Bismarck Century (12 Pts.) remaining WDA games :

1/28 at Williston

2/10 v.s. Minot

Perhaps getting beat by Red River was a blessing in disguise. After all, they owned both GF schools last year only to be upset in the semis of the state tournament. If you're going to lose one game to a GF team, better to do it now than in the state tournament. That's not to say they can't lose again... what I am saying is that if they win state and beat Red River either in the final or semifinal, they can look back to that one loss and say it motivated them. Last year they probably went into that semifinal game with swelled heads judging by how they played that night. That's why I'm suggesting that perhaps it was a blessing in disguise.

I agree with you in the fact that it probably was a blessing MENTALLY. This year they wont overlook Red River again and probably come out strong. But it definantly wans't a blessing standing wise. They will probably finish second going into EDC unless the pump a few in against Grafton or RR loses or ties. This will mean that they will probably play Grafton instead of WF in the semis, which isn't an easy task especially at tournament time.

With Minot's win last night, they've officially wrapped up the # 1 seed in the West Region tournament in Bismarck. It's the Magicians 12th time since 1982 that they've been the West Region Regular Season Champions (83,84,87,88,89,90,93,94,98,03,05,06). They shared the title with Bottineau in 1993. So with the number # 1 seed in the west settled, a number of teams are battling for seeds 2 through 4. Here's how it looks coming down the stretch : (By the way ... yes, Minot could lose their last 3 games, and Bismarck High could win their last 4, and both teams would have 26 points, but Minot High holds the tiebreaker ... head-to-head 2-0.

1/28 at Hazen-Beulah

2/10 at Bismarck Century

2/11 v.s. Devils Lake

2/4 v.s. Bottineau

2/11 at Bismarck High

1/31 v.s. Hazen-Beulah

2/3 at Devils Lake

2/7 v.s. Mandan

2/11 v.s. Williston

1/28 v.s. Dickinson

1/31 at Bottineau

2/3 v.s. Bismarck High

2/10 v.s. Bottineau

2/11 at Minot

1/28 v.s. Minot

1/31 at Bismarck High

2/4 v.s. Mandan

2/7 at Dickinson

1/28 at Williston

2/10 v.s. Minot

Thanks for the work you put into this.

Does anyone know how many goals south will need to score to sway the tie breaker to their advantage? Of course this is assuming that both south and red river win out the rest of the way.

I believe South would have to scrore 3 goals and of course win to give them the advantage.

Red River plays Grafton one more time so they could regain that advantage .

The goals RR would need to score depends on Souths goals on Thursday.

If South would score 3 and win, that would give them the advantage buy a 1 goal.

RR would have to score 2 in their next meeting to win the tie breaker.

Although it would be nice to win the league and be the #1 seed it probably does not really matter in the long run. For all teams in the edc tournament all they need to do is win 2 games, it doesnt matter in what order or who against. So whoever finishes second and might have to play Grafton in semis, still could lose and win the playin game and go to state. That is where it counts and the idea is to win that last game.

1/28 at Hazen-Beulah

2/10 at Bismarck Century

2/11 v.s. Devils Lake

2/4 v.s. Bottineau

2/11 at Bismarck High

1/31 v.s. Hazen-Beulah

2/3 at Devils Lake

2/7 v.s. Mandan

2/11 v.s. Williston

1/28 v.s. Dickinson

1/31 at Bottineau

2/3 v.s. Bismarck High

2/10 v.s. Bottineau

2/11 at Minot

1/28 v.s. Minot

1/31 at Bismarck High

2/4 v.s. Mandan

2/7 at Dickinson

1/28 at Williston

2/10 v.s. Minot

Thanks for the work sir.

2-5 in the West Region is really anybody's race. Those teams all play each other down the stretch, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I'll say

1. Minot

2. Bismarck High

3. Williston

4. Devils Lake.

5. Hazen

I believe South would have to scrore 3 goals and of course win to give them the advantage.

Red River plays Grafton one more time so they could regain that advantage .

The goals RR would need to score depends on Souths goals on Thursday.

If South would score 3 and win, that would give them the advantage buy a 1 goal.

RR would have to score 2 in their next meeting to win the tie breaker.

It doesn't go by how many goals are scored, it goes by goal differential. South will need to win by 3 if RR only beats grafton by 1 to tie in that category as well.

It doesn't go by how many goals are scored, it goes by goal differential. South will need to win by 3 if RR only beats grafton by 1 to tie in that category as well.

You are mistaken - go to NDHAA web page.

South beat Grafton 2-1. (2 goals)

RR beat Grafton 4-1. (4 goals) RR is +2. (goals scored)

If South would win Thursday3-2. (3 goals) They would have a total of 5 goals scored.

RR would need to score 2 goals in their next meeting with Grafton and of course win, and they then would have a total of 6 goals aginst Grafton and would win tie breaker rule 6-5.

ND Hockey Guy, you have inspired me, so here is the breakdown of the East down the stretch.

Fargo South 8-1-0 20 pts.

Grafton 1/26

Jamestown 1/31

at West Fargo 2/4

at Fargo North 2/9

Central 2/11

Red River 9-1-0 20 pts.

at Central 1/26

Jamestown 1/28

at Wahpeton (4 pts.) 2/7

at Grafton 2/11

Grafton 7-3-0 18 pts.

at Fargo South 1/26

West Fargo 2/2

at Central 2/9

Red River 2/11

West Fargo 7-4-0 16 pts.

Fargo North 1/27

at Grafton 2/2

Fargo South 2/4

Jamestown 2/11

Fargo North 5-7-0 10 pts.

at West Fargo 1/27

Central 2/2

at Fargo Shanley 2/4

Fargo South 2/9

Fargo Shanley 4-5-0 10 pts.

at Jamestown 2/2

Fargo North 2/4

Grand Forks Central 2-6-0 4 pts.

Red River 1/26

Wahpeton (4 pts.) 1/30

at Fargo North 2/2

at Jamestown 2/4

Grafton 2/9

at Fargo South 2/11

Jamestown 2-8-0 4 pts.

Wahpeton 1/26

at Red River 1/28

at South 1/31

Shanley 2/2

Central 2/4

at West Fargo 2/11

Wahpeton 0 for the decade 0 pts.

Play in Game 2/14

I'll start the predictions for tomorrow night, look for Coach Wilson to match lines with Grafton all night long. Grafton has struggled on the road this year with losses in Jamestown, Grand Forks, and a tie in Devils Lake. I think Kringstad will keep it close for a little bit but I expect the well oiled machine that is South to roll to a 4-0 win and claim the East Region title.

ND Hockey Guy, you have inspired me, so here is the breakdown of the East down the stretch.

Fargo South 8-1-0 20 pts.

Grafton 1/26

Jamestown 1/31

at West Fargo 2/4

at Fargo North 2/9

Central 2/11

Red River 9-1-0 20 pts.

at Central 1/26

Jamestown 1/28

at Wahpeton (4 pts.) 2/7

at Grafton 2/11

Grafton 7-3-0 18 pts.

at Fargo South 1/26

West Fargo 2/2

at Central 2/9

Red River 2/11

West Fargo 7-4-0 16 pts.

Fargo North 1/27

at Grafton 2/2

Fargo South 2/4

Jamestown 2/11

Fargo North 5-7-0 10 pts.

at West Fargo 1/27

Central 2/2

at Fargo Shanley 2/4

Fargo South 2/9

Fargo Shanley 4-5-0 10 pts.

at Jamestown 2/2

Fargo North 2/4

Grand Forks Central 2-6-0 4 pts.

Red River 1/26

Wahpeton (4 pts.) 1/30

at Fargo North 2/2

at Jamestown 2/4

Grafton 2/9

at Fargo South 2/11

Jamestown 2-8-0 4 pts.

Wahpeton 1/26

at Red River 1/28

at South 1/31

Shanley 2/2

Central 2/4

at West Fargo 2/11

Wahpeton 0 for the decade 0 pts.

Play in Game 2/14

Top Shelf ---thanks for taking the time to set this up for us. Much appreciated.

It looks as though I was wrong. Red River may be the favorite to win the State title again this year. After two impressive scores (although the 9-0 win over North was to be expected) I think they carry all momentum heading into the EDC tournement. From the sound of it Red River simply out worked both South and North. A bad week for Fargo hockey to say the least. I doubt Central is looking forward to stepping in front of a RED-hot Red River.

The top scorers in the EDC are coming from... (point per game or better)

South-7

Red River-2

Grafton-5

North-1

Wahpeton-2

West Fargo-3

On a slightly different note, congratulations to Moorhead's Jordy Christian. He recently verbally commited to play hockey for St. Cloud State.

I was just doing some figuring and I've realized that Central, North, and Shanley could all realistically finish with 12 pts. in the EDC. I see Shanley beating Jamestown but losing to North giving them there 12. I don't see North winning anymore with the exception of Shanley giving them there 12 pts. Central should beat Jamesotown, North, and get their 4 pt. win against Wahpeton giving them there 12. The tie breaker for this situation would be a mess, because Shanley has swept Central, North could sweep Shanley, and Central could sweep North. If anyone has any idea how that type of tie would be broken please post it on here.

I should know this, but....What time is the Central-Red River game tonight? 7 or 7:30... :bigsmile:

Gotta get there early to get a good spot along the end boards. ;)

The game starts at 7:30. RR I think will blow out Central since the knights are probably going to be without goalie Calvin Shane. Also forward Alex Simonsin suffered a concussion against EGF and I don't know if he will play in the game.

RR over Central 4-2, FS over Grafton 5-1, I also agree that Kringstad will keep it close but FS will be way to much for Grafton to handle. Tommorow in the Central vs RR game look for Andrew Vigen to have a big day.

I dont know about Andrew Vigen having a big game but do you think Eric Meland will continue his hot streak against central?

I was just doing some figuring and I've realized that Central, North, and Shanley could all realistically finish with 12 pts. in the EDC. I see Shanley beating Jamestown but losing to North giving them there 12. I don't see North winning anymore with the exception of Shanley giving them there 12 pts. Central should beat Jamesotown, North, and get their 4 pt. win against Wahpeton giving them there 12. The tie breaker for this situation would be a mess, because Shanley has swept Central, North could sweep Shanley, and Central could sweep North. If anyone has any idea how that type of tie would be broken please post it on here.

Given the closeness of some of the games between the teams in this group there could also realisticially be one or more ties. Shanley should beat Jamestown but Jamestown has been underperforming and could have a good game and surprise. Now actually, North lost to West Fargo 4-2 after trailing 3-0 at the end of the first. Playing at home should give West Fargo an edge but it could be an interesting contest. The end of the season finish for these 3 teams is critical because of the EDC seeding implications and the fact that there are 3 levels of quality for teams in the EDC with apparently meaningful gaps between each level (1 = South, Red River, and Grafton; 2 = Central, West Fargo, North and maybe Shanley; and 3 = Jamestown and Wahpeton.) You might argue that there currently are four groups with West Fargo and Central in group 2 and North and Shanley in group 3. It should be interesting to see who steps up in the final weeks and ultimately in EDC.

It looks as though I was wrong. Red River may be the favorite to win the State title again this year. After two impressive scores (although the 9-0 win over North was to be expected) I think they carry all momentum heading into the EDC tournement. From the sound of it Red River simply out worked both South and North. A bad week for Fargo hockey to say the least. I doubt Central is looking forward to stepping in front of a RED-hot Red River.

The top scorers in the EDC are coming from... (point per game or better)

South-7

Red River-2

Grafton-5

North-1

Wahpeton-2

West Fargo-3

On a slightly different note, congratulations to Moorhead's Jordy Christian. He recently verbally commited to play hockey for St. Cloud State.

I dont think we should compare red river vs south and red river vs north as one game was 9-0 and other 4-3 in overtime. I wouldnt say red river outworked south being out shot by 7 or 8. They won the game and deserved it but I dont think south was embarrassed by that one loss.

Given the closeness of some of the games between the teams in this group there could also realisticially be one or more ties. Shanley should beat Jamestown but Jamestown has been underperforming and could have a good game and surprise. Now actually, North lost to West Fargo 4-2 after trailing 3-0 at the end of the first. Playing at home should give West Fargo an edge but it could be an interesting contest. The end of the season finish for these 3 teams is critical because of the EDC seeding implications and the fact that there are 3 levels of quality for teams in the EDC with apparently meaningful gaps between each level (1 = South, Red River, and Grafton; 2 = Central, West Fargo, North and maybe Shanley; and 3 = Jamestown and Wahpeton.) You might argue that there currently are four groups with West Fargo and Central in group 2 and North and Shanley in group 3. It should be interesting to see who steps up in the final weeks and ultimately in EDC.

The fact of the matter is that Red River, South and Grafton are clearly the top teams in the east and the State. Minot has a good team, but got beat by Central and EGF. There is very little to separate the rest of the East, other than Wahpeton. Shanley beat Central, but lost to West Fargo 2-1 and North 3-0 despite outshooting both. North lost to Central 3-0 and West Fargo 4-2, but beat Shanley 3-0. Shanley and North play again and it should be a good game. Jamestown has not played as well as expected, but they have a few very good players, so they could surprise some teams. They did beat Grafton 4-3. West Fargo has managed to win all the close ones (Central 3-2 twice, Shanley 2-1, North 4-2), but they do not dominate. Even Wahpeton has played North, Jamestown, Shanley and West Fargo close at least once. I do not think that there are any clear favorites after South, RR and Grafton. It all depends on who shows up.