SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

I've been meaning to ask this, reading the box score of the Grand Forks Central-Grafton game I saw that Kelvin Shane did not get the start for the Knights. Was Bina just giving him a night off or is he academically ineligible or out for disciplinary issues. By the way Riders06 are you gonna be able to recap your win on Saturday night for us, or do we actually have to make the trip?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't pull a #5 team out of the mess of teams in the middle. Clearly South is at the top right now followed by Red River and Grafton. I would put Minot next although I am not convinced that they would end up fourth in the state at the end of the season. Hillman is stong for Bismarck but their defense gave up 54 shots against South and they could not hold off Devils Lake in a 3-2 loss. The west is a big question mark with the exception of Minot. There are some good goalies around the state but I have not seen the level of performance in important games to rate a nomination for Mr. Hockey. Hillman probably comes closest for his effort against South - but he is a junior. There are plenty of big games to play and one of them could merit such a nomination based on future performances. Rosendahl could have improved his stock if he would have stopped Marc Harrie's penalty shot. He could still come up big.

It's funny to me that you would say his stock is lower because of one penalty shot, in the first game of the year none the less. I'd say his stock would be improved had the refs not made the weak penalty shot call and had they not called the third goal, which clearly never crossed the line, a goal. It's stupid to point at one play as irrelevant as that when looking at a season long award.

I've been meaning to ask this, reading the box score of the Grand Forks Central-Grafton game I saw that Kelvin Shane did not get the start for the Knights. Was Bina just giving him a night off or is he academically ineligible or out for disciplinary issues. By the way Riders06 are you gonna be able to recap your win on Saturday night for us, or do we actually have to make the trip?

I heard from a guy that I play intramurals with that Shane was injured in practice, and that the backup senior goalie (Fiala, the brother of the guy I play with), broke his collar bone in warmups... ;) ..Kind of a bad luck situation for the Knights. I think he said that Shane had a sprained ankle or something like that.

It's funny to me that you would say his stock is lower because of one penalty shot, in the first game of the year none the less. I'd say his stock would be improved had the refs not made the weak penalty shot call and had they not called the third goal, which clearly never crossed the line, a goal. It's stupid to point at one play as irrelevant as that when looking at a season long award.

Did you even see the game? I saw it live and have it on tape. It was a clear penalty shot situation. He then beat Eli Rosendahl like a rented mule. Rosendahl is very good and there is nothing to be ashamed of--Marc Harrie is also very good.

Yes as a matter of fact I did see it, and although I disagree with your comment, the point of my post was to discredit the assumption that one shot hurt his "stock".

Did you even see the game? I saw it live and have it on tape. It was a clear penalty shot situation. He then beat Eli Rosendahl like a rented mule. Rosendahl is very good and there is nothing to be ashamed of--Marc Harrie is also very good.

Funny that you ask if he is academically ineligible...he has a 4.0 GPA

As Wilbur posted earlier, Shane sprained his ankle at the end of practice the day before the Grafton game, Eric Fiala (another 4.0 student) was the listed starter for the game, but took a high shot during warm-ups which broke his collar bone.

Kelvin was walking around during the game, so I would expect him to be back within the next couple games.

This argument has been brought up before in the past and most people agreed that Harrie should have never been given a penalty shot. Also if you have the tape you might want to take a look at the play again. May I also add that one of Shanley's goals didn't even go in the net. The puck hit the crossbar and fell straight down and the reffed signaled it a goal after the net had been lifted off of its pegs. The ref was in a bad position to make the call and you could see the puck from the stands in the crease.

QB Eagles #7, I did not say that his stock was lowered - you said that. I said his "stock would be improved." As previously noted, I think he is a very good goalie - and his stock or status as a player is high. The role of a goalie is to stop the puck and any goalie who stops a penalty shot is going to impress. He missed that opportunity. It does not matter that it was the first game of the season - it is not an issue of conditioning or team play but basic play in a situation most every goalie faces every day in practice. Many teams even finish with the penalty shot or one shooter skating in on the goalie drill. The advantage is to the shooter so any goalie that can stop one creates one of the "defining moments" of the season. What people remember is that he was beat on the play and it does not matter if the call was legit or not because the issue is - he did not stop it. Again, he is a good goalie and deserves a lot of credit for his play this season. He just missed one of the many opportunites he will have this season to reinforce his status as a quality player. It was one play - there are many more to come this season - many more potential "defining moments" that will add up to who the best candidates are for Mr. Hockey. I agree with you that it would be stupid to point at one play when looking at a season long award and that is why I said, "He (Rosendahl) could still come up big." By "big" I mean accumulating enough "defining moment" performances to earn a major hockey award - All Tournament State, EDC, Mr. Hockey, etc.

Here we have a Grand Forks fan/player/whatever complaining about the refs impacting the game/career of a Red River player? What is this world coming to. I thought that only Fargo people complained about the refs.

Thanks for the update on the Central goalie situation, hopefully they get that squared away. Whether or not it should have been a penalty shot or not it does not matter because he was awarded one and he proceeded to score on it. To continue this argument almost a month and a half down the line is insane. Maybe if Marc Harrie was awarded the penalty shot in overtime of the State Championship Game then scored it may be worth discussing for a week, but in a 5 goal loss its out of line. I also read in the Fargo Forum today that USHL coaches liked the way Weisgarber and Galt play. Does anyone know if either of them have been drafted by USHL squads or if they have intentions of playing junior hockey next year? Finally if your bored tonight and the Minnesota High School Hockey action on FSN isn't good enough for you, the BW Blades are going to Moorhead to battle the Fargo Shanley Deacons in a rematch of last years play in game.

Thanks for the update on the Central goalie situation, hopefully they get that squared away. Whether or not it should have been a penalty shot or not it does not matter because he was awarded one and he proceeded to score on it. To continue this argument almost a month and a half down the line is insane. Maybe if Marc Harrie was awarded the penalty shot in overtime of the State Championship Game then scored it may be worth discussing for a week, but in a 5 goal loss its out of line. I also read in the Fargo Forum today that USHL coaches liked the way Weisgarber and Galt play. Does anyone know if either of them have been drafted by USHL squads or if they have intentions of playing junior hockey next year? Finally if your bored tonight and the Minnesota High School Hockey action on FSN isn't good enough for you, the BW Blades are going to Moorhead to battle the Fargo Shanley Deacons in a rematch of last years play in game.

Don't know their intentions, but according to the USHL website's Recruiting section (http://www.ushl.com), neither of their names are listed under the 2005 Entry or Futures drafts.

This isn't to say that they WON'T be drafted. They might be drafted in this year's draft.

Weisgarber and Galt were not drafted last year into the USHL or during the futures draft which I think was in August or September. This year's USHL draft, I believe, is in May. I believe Paul is interested in playing juniors next year and I would guess will certainly get that opportunity. I am unsure of Erick Galt's intentions but I think it would be crazy to pass up the opportunity and I would bet he will get some offers (USHL, NAHL).

Here is the list of players in the USHL futures draft:

http://www.ushl.com/draft/2005/resultsFutures2005.cfm

Erick Galt could have gone to the USHL this year and continues to have the opportunity to play after this season. He likes golf and is an excellent golfer, but I think that he will play next year in the USHL. Paul Weisgarber has also had interest since before the season, but it really peaked after the Moorhead game and he received a few more contacts. Paul will definitely play in the USHL given the opportunity. There are a few other Fargo players who are on the radar screen according to area coaches, but it is not appropriate to comment until something definitive happens.

Neither name is on the NAHL draft list either.

Unlike USHL teams, NAHL teams rarely draft players that are still in high school. That would be the reason why they were not drafted last year. Odds are they will be drafted this year unless they sign a tender before the draft to secure their rights to the team of their choice. The NAHL is a league of older more mature players. The USHL is full of younger, sometimes smaller less developed (age, not skill) players. The USHL wants you to believe that it is the premier Jr. A league in the nation but time will tell how true that is.**

**Kai Kantola who was cut from the Chicago Steel of the USHL was the only NAHL player selected to play in the Viking Cup. Was Kai not good enough to play for the Steel, or was it politics. Knowing that Kai is actually projected to go in the first or second round of the NHL draft I'm going to have to go with politics. Kai plays for the Jets and is a real treat to watch.

Here we have a Grand Forks fan/player/whatever complaining about the refs impacting the game/career of a Red River player? What is this world coming to. I thought that only Fargo people complained about the refs.

Maybe you should look at what was written, I was pointing out that it should not effect a season.

My nephew called me laughing with this news......Shanely over whapeton 5-3, Shanely apparently was losing 2-0 at some point in the game. One of Shanelys goals was an empty netter also. My question is for anyone who attended this game... Was it really this close? Also does this concern any of the shanely hopful?

My nephew called me laughing with this news......Shanely over whapeton 5-3, Shanely apparently was losing 2-0 at some point in the game. One of Shanelys goals was an empty netter also. My question is for anyone who attended this game... Was it really this close? Also does this concern any of the shanely hopful?

I was not at the game, but knowing how Shanley typically plays, they were likely playing some of their players who do not normally see ice time. Since bringing hockey back, Shanley has played no more than 2 lines against the good teams, and have given the other kids a chance against weaker competition. Personally I think it is great the way Shanley runs their program, it gives all the kids a chance to compete.

I was not at the game, but knowing how Shanley typically plays, they were likely playing some of their players who do not normally see ice time. Since bringing hockey back, Shanley has played no more than 2 lines against the good teams, and have given the other kids a chance against weaker competition. Personally I think it is great the way Shanley runs their program, it gives all the kids a chance to compete.

Having seen Shanely play several times this season I would have to disagree with your assessment that Shanley was playing some of their players who do not normally see ice time. Shanley has no kids that do not normally see ice time from what I have seen this season. They all play because they do not have that many players. They have had a challenge even getting three distinct lines together because of low numbers (They lost underclassmen Trevor Anderson 2 years ago and Kris Graalum this year). Shanley has also been short due to player absence (vs Red River) and an injury (Thomas). Are there any others who have actually seen Shanley play and can comment on this? If what you say is true and Shanley indeed gives kids a chance mainly when they are against weaker competition then the weaker kids don't play hardly at all because of the games that Shanley has won, nearly all have been by a goal or two (5 of 7 - plus they had a tie). Their biggest win was a 4-0 game against Red Lake Falls. How many Shanley games have you seen this year?

Is there anyone who actually attended the game who can comment as that is the category of person that the question was directed to.

After further thought I have to question your perception of how Shanley runs their program. Initially, Tim Gravalin and the Burgraffs coached the team. Now Mark Pivetz is the coach. Although I have seen only 3-4 Shanley games a season from the beginning of their recent program I have to question the assessment that "Since bringing hockey back, Shanley has played no more than 2 lines against the good teams,....." No more than two lines? Although that has happened (2 line rotation), that does not square with what I have seen as a universal rule on how they manage players over the past - 4 to 5 years. But for the sake of discussion let's assume that what you say is true. Shanley is typically at the bottom/lower half of the conference and with the exception of a year or two and some upset wins, has struggled. Certainly they are this year, despite their current record, and also did last year. So if they only play their top two lines against good competition and play the others against weaker teams then they are not doing much to develop their players. With all due respect I think your perceptions of their program are off base. They run a nice program and I don't think they would do what you say. Oftentimes when it is not possible to win a game the 3rd and 4th liners get a chance too. Unless you have not clearly explained yourself I would have to say that what you have said about Shanley is not a positive as it really does not give all of the kids a chance to compete in many games at all because they have struggled (had close games) with the competition. Is there someone out there with some knowledge who can give another independent view on this discussion.

I was at the game last night. After the way the first 7 minutes went I thought we'd have to start playing in hell because it look as if it was gonna freeze over. In all seriousness Shanley did run all 3 lines consistently last night, in previous games the 3rd line would be lucky to see more than 2 shifts a period. Shanley controlled play for most of the night, it seemed like they came out a little too high on their horse which is expected playing a team of Wahpeton's caliber. I just don't get why when we play Wahpeton close everyone decides to pile on. I didn't hear anybody bashing Jamestown when they eeked out a 6-5 win or WF when they beat Wahpeton the same way. I guess we don't mind the programs who have been around for 25 years but expect Shanley who is still in its infancy to run away with the game. Shanley has a group of kids who work very hard and chose to stick this thing out and there was not a better sight I can remember then the smiles on their faces coming out of the locker room after beating Grand Forks Central. As long as the coaching staff stays there our program will continue to grow as long as SOME people don't try to cut their legs out from under them as soon as they don't WIN by enough. Sorry for this rant.

I was at the game last night. After the way the first 7 minutes went I thought we'd have to start playing in hell because it look as if it was gonna freeze over. In all seriousness Shanley did run all 3 lines consistently last night, in previous games the 3rd line would be lucky to see more than 2 shifts a period. Shanley controlled play for most of the night, it seemed like they came out a little too high on their horse which is expected playing a team of Wahpeton's caliber. I just don't get why when we play Wahpeton close everyone decides to pile on. I didn't hear anybody bashing Jamestown when they eeked out a 6-5 win or WF when they beat Wahpeton the same way. I guess we don't mind the programs who have been around for 25 years but expect Shanley who is still in its infancy to run away with the game. Shanley has a group of kids who work very hard and chose to stick this thing out and there was not a better sight I can remember then the smiles on their faces coming out of the locker room after beating Grand Forks Central. As long as the coaching staff stays there our program will continue to grow as long as SOME people don't try to cut their legs out from under them as soon as they don't WIN by enough. Sorry for this rant.

Nice post. Exactly, a nice program and it provides opportunities for more kids to compete. Nice coaching staff as well and I hope they stick with it as there seems to be help coming down the Shanley pipeline. You confirmed my point that Shanley does play all lines, although differentially, in their games. From what I have seen they have 2 and one-half lines at times - and of course, they have converted Marc Harrie to defense to help out back there.

Nice post. Exactly, a nice program and it provides opportunities for more kids to compete. Nice coaching staff as well and I hope they stick with it as there seems to be help coming down the Shanley pipeline. You confirmed my point that Shanley does play all lines, although differentially, in their games. From what I have seen they have 2 and one-half lines at times - and of course, they have converted Marc Harrie to defense to help out back there.

Which is exactly what I said ;) A number of kids I coached play or played for Shanley and I have seen several of their games over the past few years. When playing GF and other good teams they shorten the bench to two lines (at the most). When playing weaker teams they let the other kids get a chance to play more.

Shanley has a very nice program and will be much better now that they have a good feeder program established.