SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

No it does statisically support my answer your telling me that in every section of MN hockey they have 600,000 people give me a break buddy, you are getting all worked up about nothing. Chill out. Anyone can talk about anything on these threads.

Since Minnesota has a population of 4.9 million people and eight sections, each section would have about 612,500 people. Personally I find your posts humorous, as I picture you as 13 year old kid pecking away your keyboard.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I say that every team couldn't compete in MN, NO, I said a couple of teams could compete in MN. You could take a couple of teams in ND and they would pot up a fight. You take Red River HS and Fargo South HS they could compete. You mentioned that Red River beat EGF, give me a break, EGF is terrible. You combine Red River and Central this year and you can take them up and play the Holy Angels, we will see how that goes. Also with your Elite League comment. North Dakota puts 1 team together for Elite 2. How many does MN put together, 9.

If you think EGF is terrible this year then you must know more than the TRF coach (preseason #1 in class A) and the other Section 8 coaches who recognize that they are a pretty good team. They are obviously on par with Warroad on a given night. That would also then mean Roseau, Moorhead, nd TRF. If you aren't smart enough to know that they are three of the better teams in Mn. then you are not very bright.

I gotta wonder what would make some jock sniffer, who probably can't make his own squirt B team, feel better at Christmas time by coming on a board and insulting someone else's kids and state. Most people who know and love hockey, and have a passion for it, will do most anything to promote the game and that includes helping other schools and other states. You don't fit the bill. Obviously you aren't a coach and if you are a player your IQ isn't any higher than your skate size. Why would trying to make someone else feel badly make you feel better? Even if you have a better hcokey team that doesn't make you better. The athletes and coaches with class don't do that, and you don't seem to fit that description. As a former Mn HS coach of the year told his team after winning a state tournament, "Remember, this doesn't mean you are better than anyone else". You obviously have always been on the outside looking in and thus your attitude. Now quit ripping on others and go ring the salvation Army Bell. You will feel a lot better about your miserable self.

Before you think I am getting bent out of shape, I want you to know that due to the Christmas season I am being kind as I feel you may need some kindness this Christmas season. Happy Holidays.

The purpose of that comment was what? I have met some very talented hockey players from Minnesota who are also very nice people, and the conclusion that I've come is that it's the not so talented players/families that boast how much better their state is than North Dakota. It would also be wise of you to clarify what you mean by "North Dakota hockey", although I'm a Gopher fan myself, last time I checked UND boasts a fairly good program, no? Sure, Minnesota hockey is great. Your right though, North Dakota hockey is terrible compared to MN. Your case is clearly supported by the 4-4 score of the Fargo South vs. Moorhead (ranked #4 in MN) game.

Minnesota schools are not allowed to recruit players for their hockey programs. That doesn't mean that in some form it doesn't go on. In fact ex-Bloomington Jefferson coach Tom Saterdahlen (sp?) had some issues with a Academy of Holy Angels coach because he believed he was recruiting.

Where did you hear that FS and Moorhead tied 4-4.

This is kind of a funny argument we are having. I mean we go ahead and bash western North Dakota and its relatively young hockey programs and relatively small numbers participation wise, then go into an all out defensive strategy with the same arguments that some don't see as acceptable for the west region schools when a Minnesotan bashes our high school hockey..... ;)

1. Low participation

2. Younger programs

3. Popularity of sport

I for one believe that North Dakota hockey is behind Minnesota hockey, but I'll retract my earlier statement and say that the best teams in North Dakota can play AND BEAT the best teams in Minnesota.

PS: I'm not sure who argued my point earlier about Minnesota schools not recruiting, but if you really don't believe that they do I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Just some facts :

Minnesota polulation - 4,919,479 (Dec, 2000)

North Dakota population - 642,200 (Dec, 2000)

Minnesota - 72 Class AA H.S. hockey teams, 85 Class A teams (157 total)

North Dakota - 18 H.S. hockey teams

Minnesota is approximately 8 times larger than North Dakota in population. But 10 times better is hockey?

I think not. Do both states had good and bad hockey teams? Yes.

MNHockey9 .... you said East Grand Forks is a terrible hockey team? How did they tie Warroad last week then? I see Warroad is ranked # 10 out of 85 Class A Minnesota hockey teams. Hmmm.

I was just about to post the the exact stats above.. MNHockey9, do you think there might be a reason Minnesota puts up more numbers in the Elite League?

You have hereby established yourself as an immature siouxsports user, therefore all yours posts from here-on-out will be disregarded and/or considered totally irrelevant.... thank you

I was just about to post the the exact stats above.. MNHockey9, do you think there might be a reason Minnesota puts up more numbers in the Elite League?

You have hereby established yourself as an immature siouxsports user, therefore all yours posts from here-on-out will be disregarded and/or considered totally irrelevant.... thank you

Demography is not MNHockey9s strong suit. Revised census figures were posted the other day and Minnesota's population increased by 36,253 in 2005 to total 5,132,799 up 4.3% from 2000. North Dakota had threee years of decline since 2000 but was up the last two years. In 2005 North Dakota's population grew by an estimated 369 to total 636,677. The point simply is that Minnesota should have more teams as their population is larger than ours and continues to grow. That demographic alone, however, does not show the whole picture because a larger percentage of the North Dakota population is elderly than is the case in Minnesota. Minnesota has a larger proportion of children than North Dakota which impacts their numbers in youth and high school sports at all levels - including high school. I might add that many of the families that are playing hockey in North Dakota have moved into the state from Minnesota. We know well the quality of hockey in our former state of residence.

This is kind of a funny argument we are having. I mean we go ahead and bash western North Dakota and its relatively young hockey programs and relatively small numbers participation wise, then go into an all out defensive strategy with the same arguments that some don't see as acceptable for the west region schools when a Minnesotan bashes our high school hockey..... ;)

1. Low participation

2. Younger programs

3. Popularity of sport

I for one believe that North Dakota hockey is behind Minnesota hockey, but I'll retract my earlier statement and say that the best teams in North Dakota can play AND BEAT the best teams in Minnesota.

PS: I'm not sure who argued my point earlier about Minnesota schools not recruiting, but if you really don't believe that they do I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

I said it was not legal for Minnesota teams to recruit. Now good hockey schools such as Bloomington hardly need to "recruit", this is because talented players will move into the system simply because of the hockey program. This does not mean recruiting is non-existent. As I previously stated ex-Bloomington coach Thomas Saterdahlen had problems with a Holy Angels coach because he believed he was recruting and stealing some of Saterdahlens players. In any case the issue of recruiting is hardly relevent to the argument because most all recruits would be from one MN team to another MN team. So the talent would still be in MN but just accumulating at one hockey program. Make any sense?

Just for the record, as long as we are comparing demographics for Minnesota and North Dakota, here are the hockey demographics for the 04-05 season. North Dakota had 4,258 players registered with USA Hockey, South Dakota had 1,879 and Minnesota had 46,600. If you divide the North Dakota number (4,258) into the Minnesota number (46,600) you will get 10.9 - or in simple terms Minnesota has almost 11 times as many kids playing hockey through USA Hockey as North Dakota does. Plus, as one of my previous posts indicated, the population in Minnesota is growing while North Dakota is flat to marginally increasing after several years of decline. These sorts of variables, along with tradition, culture, and other hockey infrastructure variables, are needed to understand the differences between the two states.

MNHockey9 is a complete idiot. If you want to go start another thread about ND vs. MN Hockey then go do it. Do not try to come on a ND High School Hockey thread and make stupid comments that just piss people off. You can thank yourself for making you look like a complete J@CK@$$.

MNHockey9 is a complete idiot. If you want to go start another thread about ND vs. MN Hockey then go do it. Do not try to come on a ND High School Hockey thread and make stupid comments that just piss people off. You can thank yourself for making you look like a complete J@CK@$$.

I can say whatever I want on this website.

Enough of this BS. Who does everyone see improving the most over the second part of the season? Personally I think Jamestown may come around and start clicking, riding the momentum of their big upset. I also think Fargo North eventually has to start getting some goals to go in. Anybody else see any big improvers or teams falling apart down the stretch?

Enough of this BS. Who does everyone see improving the most over the second part of the season? Personally I think Jamestown may come around and start clicking, riding the momentum of their big upset. I also think Fargo North eventually has to start getting some goals to go in. Anybody else see any big improvers or teams falling apart down the stretch?

I really hope North can come around, my nephew plays on the team and he was up here for christmas and he likes what hes seen in past few practices. He told me that they are getting back to the basics: Skating, shooting , stickhandling. He also mentioned that the upper-classmen are really stepping up and becoming the leaders that they need to be. I think north can be a team that can take a game from anyone on any given night, they just need to find some consistency. Also I ran into a few of the spoiler players at the local store and they arn't letting that lose get them down.

It seems like Bismarck High has started to get things together. They started out with that huge loss to South so I figured they would just suck this whole year, but they started getting better results. They even went to Fargo a few weeks ago and lost 3-1, and from what i hear, it was 1-1 after the 2nd period. They also played minot in a close game, as I went to that game, and it was much more even then the shots would indicate. They just beat Bismarck Century 4-0, but I don't know what to think of that score since I don't really know how Century is this year. But I think Bismarck High could be a team that starts doing better. And to add onto that, I also think a team out east that could get some better results would be Fargo North like somebody else said. It seems like, looking at their roster, that they have the talent to win some games, or at least, score some goals. It should be a good season after the Holiday Breaks.

That is a great question to pose and a very difficult one to answer. Your comment about Jamestown is a good one and it will be interesting to see how they can do in January. I think Shanley has some good coaching and may continue to to create problems for teams in the middle of the pack. Central has good potential and I really like what I see from Red River. I think Red River has probably done the most to fill in the gaps from last year's graduating seniors. North is due for a turn-around but it is one thing to hope for it and another to actually get the job done. Good luck to all the kids I hope all of the teams reach their potential and have play their "A" game during the holiday tournaments.

That is a great question to pose and a very difficult one to answer. Your comment about Jamestown is a good one and it will be interesting to see how they can do in January. I think Shanley has some good coaching and may continue to to create problems for teams in the middle of the pack. Central has good potential and I really like what I see from Red River. I think Red River has probably done the most to fill in the gaps from last year's graduating seniors. North is due for a turn-around but it is one thing to hope for it and another to actually get the job done. Good luck to all the kids I hope all of the teams reach their potential and have play their "A" game during the holiday tournaments.

I'll hopefully get some updates from my nephew of how their doing down in the Blake tourney, if I do I'll post them.

I watched West Fargo play Detroit Lakes in the Fergus Falls Holiday Tourney this afternoon. Detroit Lakes won 5-1. Detroit Lakes played without three of their better players. Two were out with the flu and one had a shoulder separation. Most of the game was played in the West Fargo end. West Fargo scored a power play goal with about two min left in the game when they were up 5 on 3 otherwise I thought they were average. DL is pretty good this year but still hasn't played any of the better teams in MN. I believe that is is only the second loss for West Fargo.