SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

To be honest... I've never heard anything about Williston having any talent, however, I have not seen them play for myself. Evidence tells me that they are not a very good team though.

I suppose the reason "West talk" gets shut down so much is because, what is good out west is USUALLY half decent out east. So any time someone mentions a "couple of good defensemen" or a "good line" from the west, that team goes and plays a team from the east and gets beat and thats the end of it. Results at state last year didn't help anything for the West.

I have nephews that play youth hockey in Minot so I don't want to totally knock the West, but it is a fact that the East dominates the state and the West usually suffers. :/

Ok i just heard that they could be pretty good this year but maybe not. Any predictions on the WF - Shanley game tonight?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South beat Bismarck High tonight 3-1 after trailing 1-0 after the first period. Shots in the 1st favored South 15-2. In the second South outshot Bismarck 22-1 but the game remained tied 1-1. South added two in the third to finish the scoring. Not sure what shots were in the third but it was one sided just like the first two. Bismarck goalie Michel Hillman was in the zone and kept Bismarck in the game. I would expect to see him with over 50 saves when the box score comes out tomorrow. For Bismarck Ross Monson scored the opening goal when he got behind the South defensemen. Justin Connell had a good game. Reis on defense looked good and so did Will Aide at forward. Bismarck played a good game despite being outmanned. South showed their usual team speed and good puck movement. Mcdougall put in the first two goals for south and Paul Weisgarber got the final one on a 5 on 3 (I think). Overall it was a good game although I am sure the South players are frustrated because Hillman was able to keep the score under control. If Bismarck can duplicate that type of effort they should be in every game out West and may rise to the top of the standings if they can generate more offense than they did tonight. The game should be a great tuneup for their game with Century.

South beat Bismarck High tonight 3-1 after trailing 1-0 after the first period. Shots in the 1st favored South 15-2. In the second South outshot Bismarck 22-1 but the game remained tied 1-1. South added two in the third to finish the scoring. Not sure what shots were in the third but it was one sided just like the first two. Bismarck goalie Michel Hillman was in the zone and kept Bismarck in the game. I would expect to see him with over 50 saves when the box score comes out tomorrow. For Bismarck Ross Monson scored the opening goal when he got behind the South defensemen. Justin Connell had a good game. Reis on defense looked good and so did Will Aide at forward. Bismarck played a good game despite being outmanned. South showed their usual team speed and good puck movement. Mcdougall put in the first two goals for south and Paul Weisgarber got the final one on a 5 on 3 (I think). Overall it was a good game although I am sure the South players are frustrated because Hillman was able to keep the score under control. If Bismarck can duplicate that type of effort they should be in every game out West and may rise to the top of the standings if they can generate more offense than they did tonight. The game should be a great tuneup for their game with Century.

Was also at the game. Final shots ended up 57-4 in favor of South. could easily have been 12 or 13 to 1.

What are some key factors for tomrrows game RR @ North?

North has to stay out of the penalty box shut down Mihulka. Red River is too good for North to play the game a man down. Also North is having trouble putting the puck away as it is, being 5 on 4 won't help that. Red River is going to have to keep the puck deep in North's end or they will also have trouble generating offense. Goaltending. Both teams.

Minot 3 Devils Lake 2

Minot fell behind 2-0 early in the second period, but completely dominated from that point on. I didn't hear the final shots for the game, but I'm guessing it was close to 40-15 or so. Devils Lake has a good young team, and under the direction of Al Henry, they can only get better as the season goes.

PS: That Hillman nearly stole a game for BHS against Minot this past Tuesday. I wasn't at the game but I guess he was absolutely outstanding.

Minot 3 Devils Lake 2

Minot fell behind 2-0 early in the second period, but completely dominated from that point on. I didn't hear the final shots for the game, but I'm guessing it was close to 40-15 or so. Devils Lake has a good young team, and under the direction of Al Henry, they can only get better as the season goes.

PS: That Hillman nearly stole a game for BHS against Minot this past Tuesday. I wasn't at the game but I guess he was absolutely outstanding.

Minot had a very good select team this summer.

I saw them play in tRF and in Alexandria. How many of those kids are playing juniors? Some time back someone on this thread said there were at least two of their best kids including a coaches kid who were going to play juniors. That is too bad because they were pretty good when they were together.

West Fargo-2 Fargo Shanley-1

I was lucky enough to be able to catch most of this game tonight. Neither team looked all that polished, but they were both hungry for the 4 points (correct me if I'm wrong). Both teams played each other tough and felt each other out for the 1st. WF notched a goal on the powerplay with a booming shot from #24 Jeff Vance, let me tell you this kid loves letting that rocket go. Mark Harrie answered later on a quick snap shot which might have caught the WF tender off guard, he juggled it. The 2nd period one line really stood out for the Packers Olson, Miller, and Crist all juniors had a heck of a period. They buzzed the Deacons on most of their shifts. Tyler Swanson also continued to impress by demoralizing a poor Deacon skater trying to come across the middle. The third period was very intense. The WF goalie about had a costly turn over, he tried playing the puck behind the net, next thing you know Shanley has the puck out front with no goalie and clanged one. The goalie also made a clutch save on a Shanley penalty shot. The last minute told me a lot about WF, didn't get the names but WF's 11, 18, and i wanna say 19 finished the game off beautifully and killed penalties well all night . That line is who you will see playing the Campbells from Grafton and Weisgarber's line from South.

All around good hockey game very fortunate to be able to watch!

Minot had a very good select team this summer.

I saw them play in tRF and in Alexandria. How many of those kids are playing juniors? Some time back someone on this thread said there were at least two of their best kids including a coaches kid who were going to play juniors. That is too bad because they were pretty good when they were together.

Minot lost one of the better players in the state in Jordan Willert to Tri City of the USHL. He led the state in scoring last season, and probably would have led the state in scoring again (before anybody can spout off about this, he plays in the West Region, I know I know). He is a pretty big kid who is a great passer and can score goals. If he had stayed I think Minot would undoubtedly have won the West Region this season, but they are still a pretty good hockey team, with a new enthusiastic coaching staff.

West Fargo-2 Fargo Shanley-1

I was lucky enough to be able to catch most of this game tonight. Neither team looked all that polished, but they were both hungry for the 4 points (correct me if I'm wrong). Both teams played each other tough and felt each other out for the 1st. WF notched a goal on the powerplay with a booming shot from #24 Jeff Vance, let me tell you this kid loves letting that rocket go. Mark Harrie answered later on a quick snap shot which might have caught the WF tender off guard, he juggled it. The 2nd period one line really stood out for the Packers Olson, Miller, and Crist all juniors had a heck of a period. They buzzed the Deacons on most of their shifts. Tyler Swanson also continued to impress by demoralizing a poor Deacon skater trying to come across the middle. The third period was very intense. The WF goalie about had a costly turn over, he tried playing the puck behind the net, next thing you know Shanley has the puck out front with no goalie and clanged one. The goalie also made a clutch save on a Shanley penalty shot. The last minute told me a lot about WF, didn't get the names but WF's 11, 18, and i wanna say 19 finished the game off beautifully and killed penalties well all night . That line is who you will see playing the Campbells from Grafton and Weisgarber's line from South.

All around good hockey game very fortunate to be able to watch!

How many points did you have?

Minot lost one of the better players in the state in Jordan Willert to Tri City of the USHL. He led the state in scoring last season, and probably would have led the state in scoring again (before anybody can spout off about this, he plays in the West Region, I know I know). He is a pretty big kid who is a great passer and can score goals. If he had stayed I think Minot would undoubtedly have won the West Region this season, but they are still a pretty good hockey team, with a new enthusiastic coaching staff.

Was he the only kid they lost? I still think they had a very good summer team and beat some pretty good teams. They beat TRF who beat Warroad last night and Detroit Lakes who is decent. I thought they would dominate the West and play the East teams tough. Thanks for the update.

Red River wins by six, in a game of total domination. North will have a very hard time against the physical players of the riders.

I would have to agree. I think RR will be to physical for Fargo North to handle. Red River's depth will run North down really quick.

Well... if I had to guess I would say you landed one point or less being as Shanley only scored one. :D

In all honesty I haven't played high school hockey for some 25 years now for the Deacons, I may just seem a little impartial to my alma mater.

I don't see North having any chance vs. Red River tomorrow night, they've only buried one goal in the past 4 or 5 games I believe. The only personal that has a prayer of containing Mihulka, Brown, and Spies is the Klein-Klenow line, and with those two worried about defending nobody will be able to pick up the scoring punch for the Spartans. Intriguing matchup out west between the two Bismarck schools, Century has picked up their play as of late should be fun to see how that one plays out.