SiouxSports.com Forum

Rule changes for 2005-06

ethanm

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do not think there will be changes in the net size but they moved the net back 2 feet or so to cause less hanging around behind the nets..

I was looking at the rule changes for the NHL, i didn't see anything about the change of the size of the net. Does anyone know if they changed the dimensions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The NHL did move the nets two feet close to the boards and shrink the neutral zone by four feet. The link below lists all the changes they made.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/rules_changes072205.html

It's nice to see the league finally crack down on the size of the goalie equipment. SI had a picture in their NHL preview issue about two years ago comparing goalie equipment now to the 80's. Everything besides the arm blocker is much bigger now. The glove back then looked like a first basemen's mitt compared to what they use now.

I like a lot of the new changes. The only one I don't like is the goaltender restriction on handling the puck.

Not every goaltender is good with the puck so it's not like we have goal scoring goalies out there robbing the game of action. I would prefer that rule not to exist.

But who knows, maybe that rule will have negligible effects on the game.

I like a lot of the new changes. The only one I don't like is the goaltender restriction on handling the puck.

Not every goaltender is good with the puck so it's not like we have goal scoring goalies out there robbing the game of action.  I would prefer that rule not to exist.

But who knows, maybe that rule will have negligible effects on the game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like a lot of the rule changes too, redwing77 and I agree with you on the goalie rule. Pretty confusing, to say the least, for the goaltenders. It'd be like telling a defenseman he can't pinch up or else he risks a 2:00 penalty.

An an NHL related note, has anyone seen the "new" NHL logo/shield?

I read somewhere that the rule about the goalie puck handling zone didn't have that big of an impact last year when it was used in the AHL.

One other thing that could be big is the new rule on icing. The team called for icing can no longer make a line change on the ensuing face-off. You'd think this would lead to more scoring opportunities as tired players don't ice the puck because of this, or they do ice the puck allowing the opposing team to put out fresh players.

I read somewhere that the rule about the goalie puck handling zone didn't have that big of an impact last year when it was used in the AHL.

One other thing that could be big is the new rule on icing.  The team called for icing can no longer make a line change on the ensuing face-off.  You'd think this would lead to more scoring opportunities as tired players don't ice the puck because of this, or they do ice the puck allowing the opposing team to put out fresh players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wouldn't this rule possibly cause the players to send the puck into the stands more since it would allow them to get a stoppage AND a line change? Then some fan would get hurt and the next thing you know we will have netting all the way around the rink.

Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't this rule possibly cause the players to send the puck into the stands more since it would allow them to get a stoppage AND a line change? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They'd most likely get a delay of game penalty out of it, too.

I'm all for added offense, but games going into the double digits in score is more of a possibility with these rules and, quite frankly, if I want to watch points over 10 I'll watch football, basketball, and baseball.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think there'll be a huge amount of double digit games. The NHL still allows the trapping defense and it's still up to the refs to call a tight game.

That is a new rule now.  Besides the goalie getting a delay of game, any other player that purposely shoots the puck into the stands recieves a two minute minor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe this rule has been in the NCAA book for quite some time:

Delaying the Game

SECTION 10. a. A player or goalkeeper shall not delay the game by deliberately shooting or batting the puck outside the playing area during play or after a stoppage of play.

PENALTY

As far as goalies handling the puck, my personal view is you should have an extended trapezoid, going from bottom of the face-off circle in the center and down to the backwall, extending about a foot or two wider than the goal in the center. In that area, the goaltender is protected and can play the puck. He can also play the puck if he's out of that zone, but the goaltender is like any other player and can be checked if he has the puck or just got rid of it.

It would cause goalies to play the puck on dump ins and can move the puck up quickly on power plays, but would make the goalie a bit more hesitant to play the puck if pressured and they couldn't just sit there and not have to worry about anything. Goalies would still play the puck on some chances and guys like Brodeur & DiPietro could take advantage of their puck handling talents, but not as many would go to play the puck.

As far as goalies handling the puck, my personal view is you should have an extended trapezoid, going from bottom of the face-off circle in the center and down to the backwall, extending about a foot or two wider than the goal in the center.
Edited by redwing77

Too hard to remember.  I think the easiest restriction should be that the goaltender can play any puck behind the red line that also serves as the goal line on his end.  Anywhere else would constitute a 2 minute delay of game.  Exception to the rule is powerplays.  Goaltenders can field the puck anywhere within the faceoff circles and back in his zone during a power play.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fair enough....I'll sum it up in one sentence since I rambled on:

Goalies can play the puck, but are just like any other player when they have possession of the puck.