SiouxSports.com Forum

Is UND Hockey Still the Underdog?

chandler23

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, for a minute there I thought you said "anything to get Greg outed! Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I'm not THAT bad of a person. I want him no longer in the WCHA period. I don't want him dead. ;)

Just getting back to the board and I had a thought on this one. MN obviously has a ton of advantages in running its program, but one big one that no other school has is being the beloved flagship in the middle of the country's biggest hockey player factory. The vast majority of hockey-playing kids in the state of MN grow up dreaming of wearing the M. That's just the way it is. It's why Duluth kids like Spehar (despite how he ultimately faded) and Fairchild (rumored to be a future Gopher) choose to be Gophers rather than Bulldogs. It's hard to imagine any of the other schools in the state ever overtaking MN for that position.

While this is obviously a big plus for MN, UND arguably has nearly an equal geopraphic advantage: a location just a few hours from Winnipeg and the closest school to the vast Manitoba and Sasketchewan prairies. The list of important players from these areas is long, and it appears that this significant "pipeline" has been reopened, or at least widened, in recent years. Geographically, the only competitors would seem to be UMD and Bemidji, but other factors such as facilities and reputation hamper their ability to challenge UND for this prime position.

To summarize, when I think of MN's prime position in the heart of the Minnesota hockey factory, I have to remember UND's prime position near the Canadian prairie hockey factory.

To summarize, when I think of MN's prime position in the heart of the Minnesota hockey factory, I have to remember UND's prime position near the Canadian prairie hockey factory.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, but I think you also need to consider the level of competition within Canada for players from the Manitoba-Saskatchewan "hockey factory." I doubt that many of them grow up with the dream of playing for UND.

PCM, I agree. There's no comparison in the depth of affection for the schools by the hockey-playing kids. You can probably take 80% of the Canadian kids we're talking about and scratch them off the list because of major junior aspirations or just because they wouldn't consider the US college route. But having the first crack at the remaining 20% is an advantage no one else has. Does it compare to having the first shot at 90% of Minnesota kids, as the Gophers do? Maybe not, but it's hard to measure. Without checking, I assume the state of MN has a bigger population that the prairie provinces combined, but then again nearly every athletically-inclined boy in Canada takes up hockey, while many athletic MN kids do not. Again, hard to measure. Maybe the best way would be to count national titles (just kidding).

Oh, I agree.  I think they'll be good every year now for as long (or longer) as Gwoz  sticks around.  The only point of contention I had was the statement that they had most everyone coming back.  Everyone knows that to form a Championship team you need all types of players and leadership.  They lose their Captain, asst. captian and 5 other good players and you do have to fill those roles and others have to step into them.  I'm guessing Denver didn't have a tough time recruiting good players, but good players don't necessarily make a good team.  They will have to rebuild the chemistry over again with the new players, but I'm not going to bet against them.  Gwoz seems to be able to mold his teams to play the style that suits the individuals on the ice.  That is good coaching.  But I dont' give them the 3-peat or the league title at this point.  What appears good on paper seldom pans out on the ice.  Just look at the curse of the coaches poll.  For that matter, look how wrong most people on this site were when they predicted the league standing before the start of last season.  But now I guess Denver has earned some respect.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said oldralph. Rarely do teams who are great on paper pan out. Look no further than my 2003-04 Gophers. Defending champs who returned almost everybody. The chemistry was lacking.

If the Gwoz can steer this next group of Pioneers to an NCAA title it will be a huge accomplishment. They have the talent, but it will take an excellent coaching job to counter the feelings of complacency.

Oh here we go again...      :)  The 2003-2004 Gophers finished 27-14-3, tied for 4th place in the WCHA regular season.  They defeated Minn-Duluth 7-4 in the semi-finals of the WCHA playoffs and in one of the most thrilling games I've ever been to, beat the Sioux 5-4 to capture the Broadmoor Trophy.  They then defeated Notre Dame 5-2 in the opening round of the NCAA tournament before falling to Minn-Duluth 3-1 in the regional championship.  While not a national championship season, it was hardly a team that didn't pan out.  I thought the Gophers had a very good team that year and most people were surprised that they didn't make the Frozen Four.  I guess anything less than a national championship is considered a poor season.  Not that there aren't plenty of Sioux fans on this board who feel the same way...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MM = Gopher apologist? Now I've seen everything!! ;):D

• 8 months later...
#5) Golden Gophers. Check out that mascot. Is it a ground squirrel, beaver, chipmunk, gopher, or some combination of all of those four?

I just love diggin' up old topics ... ;) ...

These are gophers:

http://www.aaanativearts.com/images/articles/gopher.jpg

http://www.optopia.com/boulderview/pages/Gopher.htm

http://www.polarguy.net/gopher.jpg

these a chipmunks:

http://www.hotcakencyclopedia.com/Animals/...e.Chipmunk.jpeg

http://www.alumni.umn.edu/vertical/Sites/%...ldy_Uncaged.jpg

http://www.umn.edu/Images/goldy.gif

Need more proof?

http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2003/07/21/6205

Let it be known that I am a Gophers fan before you start to read this post. If you'd like to continue, please do so.

So...I have friends and relatives that are Sioux hockey rubes and they all absolutely love to play the "Us against the World" card...especially as it pertains to the University of Minnesota. They criticize the U of M for having every advantage: location, Minnesota recruiting connections, size, academics, and so on, etc., etc.. The New York Yankees of College Hockey perse...(without all the championships.) They boast that the University of North Dakota, even with all of their "limited resources," they somehow still prevail.

My question is this...at what point does the University of North Dakota stop playing the "life is unfair" card and admit they have the same type of advantages that they despise the U of M for having.

The Shattuck pipeline, the finest college hockey rink in the country, the nine titles (9?), going to the championship game almost every year...and oh, by the way...kicking the crap out of the U of M 3 out of 4 last year, and twice when it mattered.

Let me know. ;)

--J

pipeline? i think every scout in the US a has access to that pipeline.

Let it be known that I am a Gophers fan before you start to read this post. If you'd like to continue, please do so.

So...I have friends and relatives that are Sioux hockey rubes and they all absolutely love to play the "Us against the World" card...especially as it pertains to the University of Minnesota. They criticize the U of M for having every advantage: location, Minnesota recruiting connections, size, academics, and so on, etc., etc.. The New York Yankees of College Hockey perse...(without all the championships.) They boast that the University of North Dakota, even with all of their "limited resources," they somehow still prevail.

My question is this...at what point does the University of North Dakota stop playing the "life is unfair" card and admit they have the same type of advantages that they despise the U of M for having.

The Shattuck pipeline, the finest college hockey rink in the country, the nine titles (9?), going to the championship game almost every year...and oh, by the way...kicking the crap out of the U of M 3 out of 4 last year, and twice when it mattered.

Let me know. :D

--J

you forgot a more loyal fan base

Also - if I remember correctly - the Gophs were named as the team with the best freshman class of the year by INCH. This was a result of Kessler and Wheeler and the Minny - how dare you consider anyone else - mentality. Well, we have all observed that this was not the case and all the "me" accolades cannot and willnot replace team efforts and rewards.