SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. MSU Mantanko

farce poobah

Well, we don't have Pateman to kick around anymore. Or Jackman.

Which probably explains the huge number of passionate posts about the upcoming series.

I saw the mavs vs. gophers ... and was not "that" impressed. Their D (young) got turned a lot by the gopher forwards, and if Jason Jensen hadn't been solid in goal, they lose both games. Up front, a couple scorers but young there also.

As to the Sioux, is there any recent word on Tyler?

Otherwise, the roster seems pretty intact. (knock on wood)

Predictions?

Mankato sort of worries me. They've always played us tough, and last season at REA was no picnic. :angry: Generally, they play a tough, physical game against faster, more talented teams. I'd expect the same this weekend.

I think if we get up on them early and keep the puck on their end, we should be okay. We have to play our "A" game both nights, and start to captialize on our shots, as well as keep playing a strong blueline. This is one of those series that we *should* sweep, but who knows?

As far as I know, we are in pretty decent shape in spite of some tough series recently.

I haven't heard if Tyler is back to 100%. However, given how some of the younger, bigger forwards are playing recently, e.g., Genoway, Massen, Prpich, etc. he may have a tough time finding a starting slot if he is ready for this series.

Last season, the Sioux took 3 of 4 points from the Mavs at Mankato, then preceded to stink up the Ralph the very next weekend. Some who have been watching the Sioux far longer than I have said it was the worst they'd ever seen North Dakota play at home.

The Mavs aren't as good as they were last season. The Sioux are much better. UND should sweep. However, it would be a mistake to take Mankato lightly. I'm hoping that the desire to atone for last season's debacle, combined with the need to break out of their scoring slump, will be all the motivation UND needs to win two.

I think I remember hearing on the pregame on saturday night that Tyler was still suffering from some post concussion syndrome but that was about it. I guess he was still getting headaches when he tried to skate.

I think the team has played extremely well on the defensive side of the puck but just need to get over the goal scoring slump. Once they do that look out. cause this is the one of the most solid teams I have seen playing 5v5.

Tim and Swyg interviewed MSU-MAN coach Tim Jutting this morning. Prior to the interview Tim, the announcer, said that, regarding the games last year at the Ralph against MSU-MAN, that was the "darkest weekend" in Sioux hockey in many years.

Coach Jutting talked about the fact that his team is a little young. Like much of the league, the young players are good, just not consistent. By Christmas there should be more consistency, both on his team and in the league. The league has been a rollercoaster, regarding who's beating who.

The first games of the year for MSU-MAN against Providence had a lot of 1st weekend mistakes (Providence had already played 4 games). Bemidji plays a good "team" game, and they (Bemidji) have received good/great goaltending.

Key to his team is to work hard and get after it. Their goalie, Jenson, has done well. For basically 2 years he had a limited role, so now that he's been given the chance to play he has taken advantage of the opportunity and performed well.

Coach Jutting has seen ZP many times; in answer to the question to how do you shut down a ZP type player: on the road it's hard as you don't have the last line change, match-up is important.

Last year, arguably, the best player for MSU-MAN was Grant Stevenson (soph., forward, 6', 180 lbs #19). He is consistent; this season he has scored in all but one game.

Local kid: Nate Metcalf (jr., defense, 6'4", 200 lbs #28) from EGF - he's played in half of the games this season; could see more time, just needs to be more consistent - he has a big reach and is a big kid - also he is an "excellent" kid, he is capable of much and hopefully will see more playing time, he will be in GF for the series.

Yes, UMIN was a big win in the regards that fans see it as a win against the "big brother", but more important it was a win at home and it is 2 points early in the season. This (the WCHA) is a tough, tough league - it looks like 3-9 in the standings race could be very, very close this year.

The Mavs aren't as good as they were last season.

Greetings Sioux fans. I thought I'd come over here and see what you guys were saying about the upcoming Mavs series. I have a lot of respect for what the Sioux have accomplished over the years. I am a Blackhawks fan, and a lot of great Hawks were former Sioux.

Actually, I think the Mavs are better than they were last year. Jackman was a selfish player (his teammates disliked him intensely,) and Pateman was out very early. This year's squad is very young, but they never quit. They never believe that they are out of a game. If you guys get an early lead and then relax, watch out. If you have them down, you have to keep the pressure on.

I'll be listening on the radio for both games. Some day I'll make the trip to the Ralph. I'm told that it is the best venue for watching hockey, college or pro.

VF (Virg Foss) has a nice article in today's Herald: "Man on a Mission: UND's Notermann determined to have a big year"

CB's "version of musical chairs among his line combinations" are listed for Friday as: Jason N with David L and Quinn F; James M with Zach P and Brandon B.

JN quote: "We didn't like the feeling of being mediocre." "We set a tone this summer that we're not going to let that happen.... Last year was kind of a blow to your ego."

CB on JN: "You can always count on him for a good effort........"he can play with anyone."