SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux trivia

jimdahl

I manually scanned the archive of game results here and uncovered the last time UND had back-to-back shutouts was Feb 21-22, 1997, hosting Alaska Anchorage (2-0, 4-0).

http://siouxsports.com/hockey/1996/1996.htm

(Gives me flashbacks to when the web site had lots of text and not much color :angry:

Looks like we didn't make the streak for 3, saving me from having to dig out the really old Sioux history books.

I manually scanned the archive of game results here and uncovered the last time UND had back-to-back shutouts was Feb 21-22, 1997, hosting Alaska Anchorage (2-0, 4-0).

http://siouxsports.com/hockey/1996/1996.htm

(Gives me flashbacks to when the web site had lots of text and not much color :angry:

Looks like we didn't make the streak for 3, saving me from having to dig out the really old Sioux history books.

That sweep on Feb 21-22, 1997 vs. Alaska Anchorage was the most airtight hockey I've ever seen the Sioux play. (The 2001 national semifinal vs. Michigan State was the best vs a top team.) Clinched the Cup, after 10 long years away from its rightful home.

Of course, there's lots more chances for this year's team.

Spike Schultz has 4 consecutive shutouts in 53?or54 ... but I don't think any other Sioux goalie has ever gotten 3.

Which makes Brandt's 177 minutes possibly the second longest streak in school history.

Anybody have more info on the topic?

If I remember right that was the weekend the Sioux and UAA played a WCHA series that had very few penatly minutes, one game had like one penalty the whole game?

Hey "Farce Poobah":

Is that THE Farce, from the 80's, with yellow hats that light up when a goal is scored?

Yup, glory years for me were 1977 to 1981; saw the end of the Bjorkman years, and the first of the Gasparini years. Spooky to think that before November 1978, that the "new building" was seen as a fairly neutral, not quiet but not intimidating place to play.

And yes,if you stood on the front row bleachers that you could rest your elbows comfortably on top of the glass. Talk to the refs, tell Mark Johnson he was only on the team cause his dad was coach, tell Aaron Broten that he was only on the team because they wanted to recruit Neal, etc etc. With the glass that low, "safety first" was a serious thing.

I had Deano for "skating class", it was my most memorable 1-credit class.

If I remember right that was the weekend the Sioux and UAA played a WCHA series that had very few penatly minutes, one game had like one penalty the whole game?

Yup. It was like UAA was late for a party or something. Dump the puck in, don't chase it, wait for the Sioux to bring it back, and once we were up a few goals, we stopped going in with the heavy forecheck, so it was like an NHL game. I remember the games went really fast, like 2:05 or so.

THAT team had a bunch of shutouts after Christmas, when Schweitzer came in... although I think Toby Kv s/get a lot of credit, for supporting the rookie goaltender.