SiouxSports.com Forum

San Diego @ UND 9/21/24

SiouxFan100

23 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Who can UND beat moving forward with a first half passing like Saturday or 5 completions in a game? 

The current QB situation has looked awful so far, but to answer your question, we beat NDSU by 25 points, completing 9 passes for 118 yards. San Diego was 5 completions for 159 yards.

1 minute ago, Tangolou said:

The current QB situation has looked awful so far, but to answer your question, we beat NDSU by 25 points, completing 9 passes for 118 yards. San Diego was 5 completions for 159 yards.

Please reread the actual question asked. You missed a key part of the question. Thank you.

• Like 1

remember when mustard moved from d2 bball to d2 football to the nfl

wonder if TT could've done something like that...

all our te's look like fullbacks and h back which is fine but having a 6'7 or 6'8 guy with good hands at TE would be awesome but i guess fruchte doesn't use the te that much like danny

53 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

Over 12 yards per attempt.

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

remember when mustard moved from d2 bball to d2 football to the nfl

wonder if TT could've done something like that...

all our te's look like fullbacks and h back which is fine but having a 6'7 or 6'8 guy with good hands at TE would be awesome but i guess fruchte doesn't use the te that much like danny

From many sources - TE U as a team has 4 receptions for 23 yards.  Yeah-Yah!!  I think all the TEs the past 20 years have buyer's remorse.  Block your tail off for 5 years and we'll give you 1 Make-a-Wish Foundation reception on Senior Day.  

• Upvote 4

On 9/22/2024 at 10:43 PM, zonadub said:

I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night…

Would someone who knows please explain how a QB with a 58% completion rate and more interceptions than TDs has a QB Rating of 111.41.

Not trolling, just really want to know what goes into the rating criteria.

thanks in advance.

I found this.

What is the formula for the NCAA QBR?

The NCAA formula is: [ { (8.4 * yards) + (330 * touchdowns) - (200 * interceptions) + (100 * completions) } / attempts ]. In 1979, when the NCAA developed the passing efficiency formula, they used average statistics from the previous 14 seasons of two-platoon football (which started in 1965).

4 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I found this.

What is the formula for the NCAA QBR?

The NCAA formula is: [ { (8.4 * yards) + (330 * touchdowns) - (200 * interceptions) + (100 * completions) } / attempts ]. In 1979, when the NCAA developed the passing efficiency formula, they used average statistics from the previous 14 seasons of two-platoon football (which started in 1965).

Thanks for the information Nodak78. The formula works.

Rhetorical questions would be… is the NFL formula the same (NFL QBs like Rodgers seldom had a rating over 100) and what would Schuster’s rating be? Braden Hansen?

These statistics would suggest that Romfo is a better than average QB, and would not be the worst in the MVFC or in the history of UND QBs. (Disclaimer: iirc, my first Econ class included a book called How to Lie with Statistics - forgot the professor’s name)

6 hours ago, zonadub said:

Thanks for the information Nodak78. The formula works.

Rhetorical questions would be… is the NFL formula the same (NFL QBs like Rodgers seldom had a rating over 100) and what would Schuster’s rating be? Braden Hansen?

These statistics would suggest that Romfo is a better than average QB, and would not be the worst in the MVFC or in the history of UND QBs. (Disclaimer: iirc, my first Econ class included a book called How to Lie with Statistics - forgot the professor’s name)

Yes I remember that book.

21 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I know everyone is hot on the new OC, and for good reason, but let’s maybe put the pitchforks down for Danny. I have major gripes with how Danny called certain situations, the entire Sac playoff game for instance, but do keep in mind that in the red zone he was an absolute assassin. Fruechte could take a page out of that book IMO. We’ve had to settle for too many short fgs. Against top teams that will bite us. Other than that I’ve been very impressed. 

Danny Freund left UND for South Dakota State, a direct UND rival, which facilitated an exit of some UND players. That hurts, and I’ll admit I was definitely critical of the situation. However, it is also okay to be hot on the new UND OC Fruechte and objectively compare the two and perhaps give the early edge to Fruechte. It’s only been 4 games, much more to come. It’s also not fair to Fruechte to be too critical given what he has to work with at QB, so need to wait until year 2 to see what the QB position and depth evolves into. Also, some 4th downs in red zone could perhaps be considered “go” territory but yet UND settles for FG - that’s as much up to HC as OC. Ultimately, though, you’re right in that red zone offense is key, and needs to be better. To give credit where credit is due, though, third down is the money down; and Fruechte has been damn good there considering what he has been working with in a small school, small guy QB in Romfo. The third and long conversion throw by Romfo late in the Montana game was a critical conversion not enough people are talking about. Major props overall are warranted to both Fruechte and Romfo, considering Freund left UND out to dry at that those positions (OC, QB, and QB coach) and UND could easily be much worse than they are right now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cpa_guy said:

Nope, Romfo is not better than average based on passing efficiency. His rating of 111.41 currently ranks him 91 of 112 rated passers in the FCS according to NCAA.com.

....but he's "a small school, small guy" ND kid so we can overlook the numbers.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Haven’t seen to many trick plays which is good

Certainly can't rely on them as often as we were. They are kind of fun when they are sprinkled in (AND WHEN THEY WORK).

But I agree, it is nice to not have an offense that is heavy on those.

23 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Certainly can't rely on them as often as we were. They are kind of fun when they are sprinkled in (AND WHEN THEY WORK).

But I agree, it is nice to not have an offense that is heavy on those.

Within the next couple weeks I could see one working in a big moment.