SiouxSports.com Forum

San Diego @ UND 9/21/24

SiouxFan100

A question we will never know the answer to but, if Jerry would have played the 2nd half of the Montana game would be have won?  I was hoping they would switch QBs a half time, but they didn't and UND won.  

I keep thinking back to Tom Millers article before the starting QB was selected and he said Romfo and Trey had 40% chance to win the staring QB spot and Jerry was at 20%.  If Tom sees it and he has watch a lot more practice than any of us, maybe Jerry is not ready yet.  If Trey would have stuck around maybe he would have gotten a chance.  Another thing we will never know.

6 minutes ago, Big Green said:

A question we will never know the answer to but, if Jerry would have played the 2nd half of the Montana game would be have won?  I was hoping they would switch QBs a half time, but they didn't and UND won.  

I keep thinking back to Tom Millers article before the starting QB was selected and he said Romfo and Trey had 40% chance to win the staring QB spot and Jerry was at 20%.  If Tom sees it and he has watch a lot more practice than any of us, maybe Jerry is not ready yet.  If Trey would have stuck around maybe he would have gotten a chance.  Another thing we will never know.

So now we're using Tom Miller as justification for why Romfo keeps starting and we give our backup QB 0 snaps??

Wow!! :D

• Like 1

Not a Romfo basher at all.  The game is pretty fast the first few games you play in and he'll get better as it slows down for him. 

That said - the postgame radio show pointed out that against better teams we'll need to be able to convert on some 3rd and 8 and not over or under throw the receivers like he's done a few times.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, GoodGood said:

I think teams are deathly afraid of his 11 rushes for 10 yards the last two weeks 

I don't think you were counting because every play there was a minimum of 8 in the box. I counted 9 and 10 multiple times. This also exposed them in the second half because they absolutely sold out against the run and it's on video.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I’ll take 3-1 and areas to improve on. 

Apparently, you didn't get the memo, we need to be negative. No positive thoughts. :) In all seriousness, I had a hell of a good time watching this game, it didn't hurt that I had a few beers. Who cares if we only won by 17 points. The run sets up the pass. The Hawks took over in the second half and wore down the opposition. It might not be pretty, but they were affective. Reading Schloss's article, a few things stuck out for me. 

In the second half, Fruechte let his offensive line take over again. He called 29 runs and seven passes. A handful of the passes were deep balls, where the offensive line gave quarterback Simon Romfo plenty of time to connect.

I kind of like this game plan, it won't change until Bubba is gone. He like to run first and pass second. 

UND iced the game with a 16-play, 75-yard drive in the fourth quarter. All 16 plays were runs.

7 hours ago, Irish said:

Wow - a lot of pushback from my post - No, I didn't watch the QB competition in camp.  No, I'm not saying Romfo didn't win the starter's job in pre-season.  What I am saying is that we have had 4 non-conference games and his highly recruited back-up has played exactly 1 snap - a kneel down - this after the other highly recruited QB saw the writing on the wall and is transferring.  And after watching Romfo pass for 11 yards with 2 picks in the first half he didn't get a sniff.    That, in my opinion, is extremely short sighted and sends a poor message to our back-ups.  Vintage stubborn Bubba though.  We will soon get into some games where short-arming simple outs and swing passes will cost us and no one else has any game experience.  Not great roster management.  And much of Romfo's running success is due to our great O line play.  

Asking for Bo on his catches and yardage and TD's in the second.  You know the other half of the game and win.  Take a breath.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

I don't think you were counting because every play there was a minimum of 8 in the box. I counted 9 and 10 multiple times. This also exposed them in the second half because they absolutely sold out against the run and it's on video.

Excellent point OC exposed them and Simon delivered.  Other teams maybe concerned on Simon's running ability.  I definite trust the OC.

• Downvote 2

5 hours ago, Goon said:

Apparently, you didn't get the memo, we need to be negative. No positive thoughts. :) In all seriousness, I had a hell of a good time watching this game, it didn't hurt that I had a few beers. Who cares if we only won by 17 points. The run sets up the pass. The Hawks took over in the second half and wore down the opposition. It might not be pretty, but they were affective. Reading Schloss's article, a few things stuck out for me. 

I kind of like this game plan, it won't change until Bubba is gone. He like to run first and pass second. 

Very Goon point.  This team is different.  Both offense and defense. This is a team that believes.

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Very Goon point.  This team is different.  Both offense and defense. This is a team that believes.

At the beginning of the season I predicted a 4-8 season. I plan on eating my words. I believe after watching the first 4 games, they're ceiling is higher than that. They're not elite, but they're not bad either. I've had fun watching this team. There are a lot of young players on this team. A win is a win. I think they will have to take it up a notch if they want to have a chance against the three Dakota schools. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, UND08 said:

I mean...all of this is well and good...but remember San Diego is a non-scholarship FCS program on par with Drake.  A 17 point win against them at home is not particularly impressive.  I know teams can't play well every week and I get that...at least we were able to adjust well enough to win it going away.  That said...we can't let one receiver pick us apart like they did.  Those assignments are only going to get harder as we get into the meat of conference play.

Also, through 4 games our starting QB is completing passes at a 55% clip with more picks than TDs (38.5% this weekend).  Unless we are going to get in the flexbone and have our QB run for 100 yards a night that's not going to get it done for us.  What's troubling is his deep ball is apparently the most accurate pass he can throw.  That screams mechanical issues...which is ironic because the Spring Ball beat reports from Tom Miller indicated Simon was executing at the highest level of the 3 QBs (and he ultimately won the job).  

We have a solid running game and a good stable of backs.  If this is how we are going to play then we need to run Simon more and utilize vertical playaction like we did in the 2nd half.  I'm just not sure it's going to be enough against the SDSUs and NDSUs of the world when we are on the road (although apparently NDSUs run defense isn't very good so who knows)...

Here's to hoping to see progress in the passing game next week against Murray!

Ultimately a running game is more important than a passing game, so UND has that going for them (and hence why I am loving Fruechte over Freund right now), but no doubt there needs to be some resemblance of balance moving forward.

And I agree - hopefully there’s ongoing improvement! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GoodGood said:

A couple years ago ndsu benched a QB who was 6’4 240 pounds, ran a 4.6 40, was 7-0 as the starter, but couldn’t throw a football. 

Patterson didn't get benched, he got injured. When he got healthy, they still had packages for him. 

10 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I don’t want to read through all of this but has there been any explanation on why it took so long to get Ziebarth in the game? Felt like he was maybe given a quarter suspension or something? Or dealing with injury and we were hoping to hold him out?

My understanding is he has a tendency to get dinged up so they were saving him a bit. Needed him more than they thought. 

Was also a bit surprised to see it take that long to see him get a carry but his style was going to struggle me against the stacked boxes then Smith or Seidel given their speed and ability to bounce things. 

All 3 of our top RB's ended up with exactly 13 carries, I like them spreading it out to save them for later in the year. Would also like to find a way to get Hunt the ball but not sure how you do that right now. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Patterson didn't get benched, he got injured. When he got healthy, they still had packages for him. 

Yes magically banged up his shoulder after throwing an interception, in a game ndsu was losing to Missouri state, and he was 5/16 throwing. You can call it whatever you want I guess 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jdub27 said:

All 3 of our top RB's ended up with exactly 13 carries, I like them spreading it out to save them for later in the year. Would also like to find a way to get Hunt the ball but not sure how you do that right now. 

I agree. Hunt should get more opportunities, either via injury or game situations. Always explosive and takes advantage of his carries when he does get in the game. Hopefully Hunt (and others, like Kaminski) get an opportunity this Saturday (if the team actually shows up ready to go from the get go).

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I know everyone is hot on the new OC, and for good reason, but let’s maybe put the pitchforks down for Danny. I have major gripes with how Danny called certain situations, the entire Sac playoff game for instance, but do keep in mind that in the red zone he was an absolute assassin. Fruechte could take a page out of that book IMO. We’ve had to settle for too many short fgs. Against top teams that will bite us. Other than that I’ve been very impressed. 

Yeah, I haven't seen a consistently good offense to suggest anything yet.   The second half against Montana showed the OC can make adjustments, but maybe he thought too much in the first half trying to throw the ball.   A few losses or inexplicable play calls can change opinion in a hurry. 

• Upvote 1