SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey vs. Fatherhood

GBpakrzz

So I'm all ready for the big game on Thursday. Got the night off of work and I am all set for the clash between the Sioux and the hated Goofers.... Until an "Oh by the way" comment from the wife that is...

Wife - Don't forget we have Taylor's (daughter) school play next week.

Me - Sure, when is it.

Wife - It's Thursday night at 6:30 pm.

Me - Okay, I look forward to... IT'S WHEN?;)?:0

Wife - It's next Thursday at 6:30 pm. It should only last a few hours.

Me - You gotta be (*^$% kidding me!!!!!!!

So the wife and I talk about the ABSOLUTE importance of the hockey game. You know, it's a big deal. She tells me that I can miss the school play and that she won't be upset. YEA RIGHT!!!!! Made that mistake before and still hear about it years later.

Gotta take the high road here and miss the game. I can tape it... but it's not nearly as fun watching it.

I did that last week for the first regional game. Taped the game, then watched it later. Had no clue what the outcome was, so it was just like it was live, except I could forward through the commercials. And I could rewind immediately things I wanted to see again.

I feel for you. Back in 2001 my boy had a spring league hockey game the same time as the national championship. It isn't the same watching it on tape when everyone else in the house already knows the Sioux score two goals with an open net in the last mintues to take it into overtime only to lose the game. You are truly caught between the rock and hard place. You don't go to the play, however, and you are a 'dead man walking'.

So I'm all ready for the big game on Thursday.  Got the night off of work and I am all set for the clash between the Sioux and the hated Goofers....  Until an "Oh by the way" comment from the wife that is...

Wife - Don't forget we have Taylor's (daughter) school play next week. 

Me -  Sure, when is it. 

Wife - It's Thursday night at 6:30 pm.

Me - Okay, I look forward to...  IT'S WHEN?;)?:0

Wife - It's next Thursday at 6:30 pm.  It should only last a few hours. 

Me - You gotta be (*^$% kidding me!!!!!!!

So the wife and I talk about the ABSOLUTE importance of the hockey game.  You know, it's a big deal.  She tells me that I can miss the school play and that she won't be upset.  YEA RIGHT!!!!!  Made that mistake before and still hear about it years later.

Gotta take the high road here and miss the game.  I can tape it... but it's not nearly as fun watching it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bet that the game will be on the radio, you could always bring in a little radio (headphones) and listen to the game with hardly anyone noticing. You'll just have to try to time your cheers with when everyone else is clapping. ;)

Ha...this reminds me of an episode of The Simpsons where Homer brings in a radio and earphones to church. During the sermon (and moment of the game-winning field goal), he leaps up and yells "YES YES...IT'S GOOD...IT'S GOOD!". At the end of mass, the preacher taps Homer on the shoulder and says, "Boy, something in my sermon really moved you today Homer." "Uh...yea," is the reply back. ;)

Are you out of your mind!;)? How many times does the Frozen Four come up with the Sioux in it? And how many times will it be the Sioux/Gopher matchup??? Could there even BE anything better than that??? I too am a parent and I am missing my son's 5th grade program on Thursday night. It's his last hurrah in his last year of grade school and he is totally fine with it. If you grow up in a hockey family you know what the Frozen Four means and the Sioux/Goofer matchup. I'm on the bus, Gus!!! We leave Wednesday morning at 6:00 AM!!! :0

Your child is only a child once. Years down the road, kids won't remember the gift you bought them or the money you gave them as "payoff", but they will remember you being there and supporting their interests and activities. And you will be grateful that you went, or will kick yourself if you miss it (maybe not right away, but you will). I speak from experience, remembering all my activities my own parents went to years ago. And I see that in my own students that I teach today.

The Sioux will be in the Frozen Four again. They were just there four years ago. It's not like we go through decades-long droughts.

Things like this determine character. And any person who would put hockey, or any sport or event, above family is someone that I want no part of.

I commend you, GBpakrzz, on your choice (as tough as it is). You won't regret it.

Your child is only a child once.  Years down the road, kids won't remember the gift you bought them or the money you gave them as "payoff", but they will remember you being there and supporting their interests and activities.  And you will be grateful that you went, or will kick yourself if you miss it (maybe not right away, but you will).  I speak from experience, remembering all my activities my own parents went to years ago.  And I see that in my own students that I teach today.

The Sioux will be in the Frozen Four again.  They were just there four years ago.  It's not like we go through decades-long droughts.

Things like this determine character.  And any person who would put hockey, or any sport or event, above family is someone that I want no part of.

I commend you, GBpakrzz, on your choice (as tough as it is).  You won't regret it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good heavens - chill man. My kid is a very well rounded, well adjusted kid and we have been to thousands (yes, thousands) of his things and his hockey games and his road trips, his scout outings, his church programs, yadda yadda. One missed school program won't send him screaming to therapy. If it was something really important I would not be missing it. We have an awesome relationship and do everything together - but he also knows I have a life and he encouraged me to go. He thinks the school play is stupid and would miss it himself if he could! And, yes it IS sometimes decades between trips to the Frozen Four. (1987 - 1997). And thanks for the character knock without even knowing me. Anyone who does that does not get a seat on the bus next to me!!!!!

We skipped my 9 year olds fall music concert so that he could be on his team's hockey picture.

I left it totally up to him and obviously the hockey pic was more important.

If it was up to me, I'd let her pic between the Sioux and the play, but I know what my kid's answer would be. I don't think you'd have the same answer.

Go to the Frozen Four. If your wife/kids are so dependent on you attending a normal school function just to be with them more (since this is even an issue I expect you already spend plenty of time with them) over something as big as the Sioux/Gopher Frozen Four...well...you gotta work on making them all a bit more independent. I would be embarrassed if my dad had an opportunity to go to ANY Frozen Four and decided instead to attend a school play of mine. And, hey, I turned out absolutely great!!! ;)

/go Sioux!!!!

Go to the Frozen Four.  If your wife/kids are so dependent on you attending a normal school function just to be with them more (since this is even an issue I expect you already spend plenty of time with them) over something as big as the Sioux/Gopher Frozen Four...well...you gotta work on making them all a bit more independent.  I would be embarrassed if my dad had an opportunity to go to ANY Frozen Four and decided instead to attend a school play of mine.  And, hey, I turned out absolutely great!!!  ;)

/go Sioux!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Sweeny - not that I needed an endorsement of what I am doing, but Hair ticked me off! Our family does most things together and yet we are all very independent of each other in our own "things". And by the way - I'm the kids mom, not dad! Does that make it worse???

Well, remember, GBPkrzz dilemma is whether to watch the game on TV or go to the play, not travel to Columbus or go to the play. Since he's staying in town, I think he just might have to go to the play and watch the game later.

However, if the decision were between the play and being on the bus, well then grab a pillow and settle in for the 20 hour drive! ;)