SiouxSports.com Forum

DI vs. DII

bincitysioux

Point taken.  The Bob Babich years were not kind to the Bison.  Things have changed.  In time, the Bison will be hosting playoff games to the tune of 20,000 plus.  Let the Sioux Crew continue to channel their taunts towards GVSU.  While that gets old we'll be doing our own thing.  When are you going to declare your DI exploratory year? Seriously.

Didn't Babich take NDSU to the semi-final game a few years ago? He was the coach of your last successful team.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lennon has already been one of the outspoken coaches @UND for making the move. He feels that the sioux could be competitive in I-AA FB and rightfully so. Without the proper backing and full administrational support he's only spinning his wheels. That's gotta be frustrating to a guy like Dale. I predict that if UND doesn't step it up soon that Lennon will take his talents elsewhere. I can think of quite a few DI programs that would love to have a coach of his caliber aboard. Appreciation does not necessarily equal appreciation PLUS compensation/exposure. Take Joe Glenn for instance.....

GO BISON!!

2005 Great West Champions

Lennon has already been one of the outspoken coaches @UND for making the move.  He feels that the sioux could be competitive in I-AA FB and rightfully so.  Without the proper backing and full administrational support he's only spinning his wheels.  That's gotta be frustrating to a guy like Dale.  I predict that if UND doesn't step it up soon that Lennon will take his talents elsewhere.  I can think of quite a few DI programs that would love to have a coach of his caliber aboard. 

I agree. Lennon will be gone within five years if UND doesn't move up. That would cripple the football program. :)

I don't know if it would "cripple" the program.  Who would have thought that somebody could be a successor to RT, who, along with Shannon Burnell, put that program on the map.  Now that UND is an established, nationally recognized program, I would think that you could pick & choose a decent head coach should Lennon leave.

All the same, I'd just as soon move to DI and keep Dale.

That would be the smart move.  Too bad more UND fans don't  share your view :)

Too bad the administration doesn't share my view. ;) I'm excited for the next six months to play out with Buning and Bollinger at the helm. The Dec. 1 DI exploratory deadline is right around the corner. I know it won't happen this year, but I can dream can't I? :D

Too bad the administration doesn't share my view. :) 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lennon is a great coach and an enormous asset to UND athletics. However, moving from DII to DI-AA in the hope that it will help UND retain a good coach is silly.

Lennon is a great coach and an enormous asset to UND athletics. However, moving from DII to DI-AA in the hope that it will help UND retain a good coach is  silly.

Lennon is an extremely competetive person. He has already conquered DII. He is a UND guy, and North Dakota guy, and very loyal to the University. But if UND stays DII, paying him DII money (I don't know what he makes), and a DI or I-AA program comes along and is able to offer him a higher paying job at a higher level of competetion, I would sure hope he would take it. He's earned it. But if UND moves up, and still only pays him at the low end of the average I-AA salaries, I think the chances of him staying are much better. It would be a new challenge to him, and I'd think he'd love to give it a try at the next level with UND if he could. Right now he can't. That's all I meant.

ndsubison.  Not everyone in Bisonland is in favor of this move to division I.  I know quite a few people who aren't.  There are also lots of ,people who think NDSU will be a guppie or a minnow  for a long time in their true DI sports.  Football being a  sport they will compete nationally, but they don't play the big boys in football.  I guess we really won't know who made the right decision on this for quite awhile.  Everybody in Fargo thinks  that the move to DI has already proven to be a success.  NDSU has hardly jumped any hurdles yet.  They don't have a conference and believe me when they get a conference that is only one piece of the puzzle.  They are still going to have to pay the bills down the road when things might be a little lean in the won loss category.  Also they are always going to have the same old problem of trying to attract enough good athletes who want to come to wintery North Dakota to spend their college career.  NDSU  might of made the right decision, but we sure don't know yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree with your thoughts about NDSU. IF there wasn't DIAA, I would agree. But NDSU did quite well last year in their marquis sport playing the best in their division.

Did we beat Oklahoma in Norman, not even close. But we are playing the big boys in DIAA.

that depends on one's definition of success.  i thought the bison had a pretty succesful year last year?

I was referring to that Babich team that was of national championship caliber. Last year's team had a winning record. I guess that's a success.

It's really not that hard to fathom.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Neither is this:

(NCAA President Myles) Brand noted that Division II emphasizes excellence in both academics and athletics, which permits a quality athletics experience while allowing student-athletes to integrate into the student body.  He also pointed out that Division II offers opportunities to as many student-athletes as possible, most of whom share in the cost of their education.

We live in a world of instant-gratification. Did NDSU go DI just to say "we're DI and therefore we're cool"? Hell no. Are we going to become the next Michigan overnight? Nope. We are talking about a 10-15 yr process here. Plenty of room for the naysayers but those that believe know better. Face it--people up here (in general and by upbringing) don't like change. NDSU is stepping up to the forefront and being proactive. Even if we were to get into the Big Sky (wishful thinking), could we beat Montana, Eastern Washington--even Montana State, consistently? Probably not. Those are some tough programs, come to think of it. All around-not just football. Could we be consistently competitive? Absolutely. NDSU is in a seriously aspirational phase right now and what's wrong with that? Yes I am biased but, to be objective, they should be applauded--not ridiculed. The whole state of ND should be supportive of this and if UND would follow suit I believe it would be beneficial to everybody.

GO BISON!!

2005 Great West Champions