SiouxSports.com Forum

Forget Adam, the real problem is upstairs

nodakvindy

Don Adam's performance in the last two weeks has been nothing short of pathetic, and while there has been plenty of criticism (and deservedly so) of Adam, I think the biggest culprits have gotten off somewhat. Both Greg Shepherd and Bruce McLeod should be relieved of their jobs.

The primary reason they should be dumped is the open defiance the WCHA has shown in disregarding the NCAA's point of emphasis on interference and holding. All of the other conferences have gone along with this and the game is the better for it. More importantly their decision has created an environment of increased risk of injury for student athletes. This is simply unacceptable.

Unfortunately, this won't happen on its own. The schools must take back some control. I hope Phil Harmeson has had some private conferences with Michigan Tech AD Rick Yeo and the AD of Wisconsin. Wisconsin saw the poor work of Adam last week, and Yeo was among those who decided on the post-game suspension of Paukovich. If the schools won't stand up for the best interests of their student athletes then no one will.

The best way to send a message is to send McLeod and Shepherd packing and bring in a new sheriff to clean things up. Someone who cares about the college game and knows how to make it better. And if the NHL lockout continues to drag on, I know of a perfect candidate - someone who has a nearly 35 year relationship with the league as a player, assistant coach and head coach, has the respect of his peers and isn't afraid to speak up when need be. You guessed it - Dean Blais.

Don Adam's performance in the last two weeks has been nothing short of pathetic, and while there has been plenty of criticism (and deservedly so) of Adam, I think the biggest culprits have gotten off somewhat.

I wouldn't look for anything, only a nicely engraved card from Don, Greg, and Bruce saying "tough luck kid. Best of luck with your future endeavors."

Don Adam will ref again. Greg's system is too buddy buddy. And Bruce doesn't want to make a 20+ year veteran who has been through so much look bad.

I guess that's my whole point. The member schools must come forward and say enough is enough. Shepherd and McLeod serve at the pleasure of the membership, and if the schools no longer have confidence in them, they should be shown the door.

I'd like to see something strongly worded coming from the University. They should take the same type of action St. Joseph's took after the ugly incident with Temple and John Chaney's goon player. While the situations differ slightly in that I don't believe that Gwozdecky urged Paukovich to hurt Bina, I think Paukovich's penalty is not yet sufficient, and Adam has faced no penalty. Right now, public opinion has reached a position where positive change could occur, but if nothing is done that chance will quickly disappear.

I'd like to see something strongly worded coming from the University.  They should take the same type of action St. Joseph's took after the ugly incident with Temple and John Chaney's goon player.  While the situations differ slightly in that I don't believe that Gwozdecky urged Paukovich to hurt Bina, I think Paukovich's penalty is not yet sufficient, and Adam has faced no penalty.  Right now, public opinion has reached a position where positive change could occur, but if nothing is done that chance will quickly disappear.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would to, I'm not sure how UND can just sit by and do nothing about this. They need to take control of this situation now and settle this stuff off the ice or it could be very ugly the next time DU plays the Sioux and no one wants or needs that at all.

Responding to PCM, the goof announcers said yesterday that the WCHA always changes refs when a 2 of 3 series goes to the 3rd game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is correct, from past knowledge. I wouldn't believe it if I just heard it from Dumb and Dumber.

Responding to PCM, the goof announcers said yesterday that the WCHA always changes refs when a 2 of 3 series goes to the 3rd game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only if one or both coaches ask for a different crew. The WCHA isn't going to spend the money getting another crew to the series unless requested to do so.

And then the WCHA stepped in and replaced Adam with Derek Shepherd for the third game of the series because of John Hill's complaints.

So how is it that after a weekend like that, Adam is rewarded by being given the plum assignment of reffing the nationally televised WCHA Final Five? It means that Greg Shepherd's grading and evaluation of officials is absolutely worthless.

It might be a blessing in disguise that the Final Five was nationally televised. The NCAA might finally come down hard on the WCHA and demand changes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe PCM we can always hope!!

IMHO,Greg is still trying to get his little boy into the NCAA's why else do you give another bad Ref a free pass to do a nationally televised game?UM vs CC game. ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe I read on USCHO that while replacing the officials for the third game of a series often happens, it isn't always done. I'll see if I can find a source.

Recent events reminded me of this photo I took at last year's championship game:

http://siouxsports.com/galleries/40/619.jpg

No penalty was called.

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And then there was last night's very obvious and very dangerous elbow to Luke Flughum's head by a CC player. That should have been a major. Instead, no call.

I'm guessing that the NCAA had these types of incidents in mind in its open letter to the hockey community which stated:

One area for future consideration is the culture of situational standards. By this, we mean the changing of standards according to the time and score of the game.

The schools should get togather and do something about these poor officators. Start a petition or something

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they don't, the NCAA will do it for them. And that will be messy.

Although I was upset about how long it took;

I was appalled that the AR had to make the "boarding" call on Jones in the Minny game. As a Sioux fan I definetly wasn't hoping for a solid 5 minutes of penalty kill time but the second that player went down into the boards I expected the call to be made. To my surprise it wasn't called by the offical. The day after Bina was sent to a hospital on a stretcher I couldn't believe that anything resembling a check from behind wasn't given at least a 2 min penalty. It wouldn't have except for the AR.

Then again in the night came came the huge elbow that sent a player to the bench. Showing the ref the bloodly towel only caused him to shake his head and skate back to the next faceoff.

What will it take to make things change??? It if doesn't even get called the next day can we expect it to make an impact next year???

Then again in the night came came the huge elbow that sent a player to the bench.  Showing the ref the bloodly towel only caused him to shake his head and skate back to the next faceoff. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I, too, was amazed by the lack of any call whatsoever on that play.