SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting

Upper Deck

I've been a Sioux/college hockey fan for quite a few years. I haven't followed recruiting much except for the last few years, starting with the ZP saga.

Does anyone have any insight on what attracts mid-to-top level players to their chosen program? Is it the market - which give UM and UW an edge? Is it the facilities - which gives UND, UM and UW an edge? TV contracts? Does it differ between a high school and a USHL player? Thanks.

I've been a Sioux/college hockey fan for quite a few years.  I haven't followed recruiting much except for the last few years, starting with the ZP saga.

Does anyone have any insight on what attracts mid-to-top level players to their chosen program?  Is it the market - which give UM and UW an edge?  Is it the facilities - which gives UND, UM and UW an edge?  TV contracts?  Does it differ between a high school and a USHL player?  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First off:

1. If it is TV contracts that entice recruits, then UMN and UW would be the only WCHA teams that would have top end recruits as most would head to Hockey East. I can honestly say that Hockey East's media relations is far superior to the WCHA, but that's about all that is superior to the WCHA.

2. I really don't think that UM and UW really have an edge over teams like CC, DU, or UND anymore. Each school has its own advantages. Some have the city (Denver, UW, UMN), some the facilities (UW and UND), some have great atmosphere, and some have great history (UND, UMN, UW to some extent). There are other issues such as relationship with coaches, game style, and other factors. Yes, sometimes even majors offerred enter into the equation.

My opinions

If any thing I think the location of the Grand Forks hinders some potential recruits. I mean really winter here is friggen brutal (I have never gotten used to it), but I also believe having our winning tradition of 7 Natioinal titles, 13 WCHA titles, a new sports network FSSN and the best hockey arena in college hockey can take some of the sting of winter away from that.

On another sense I think the small town rural like feel can help UND land some of the top Candian players from up on the prairie...

I thought it mainly depended upon what people wrote on the message boards.  With POI gone, the Gophers will no longer get any good recruits.  UND is also able to land better recruits now with a sudo reporter.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

not to mention this sudo reporter being a complete pre-madonna. :lol:

IMO, the big issue with top flight recruits is what program gives them the best chance to play in the NHL. UND has a good history of guys going to play in the NHL. Look at the coaches in the NHL with UND connections. Blais, Murray, Tippet. I may be missing a few. Also, the Sioux play on an NHL size sheet which I think is a draw. Also, the facilities are second to none. Finally, I think the coaches play a big role and Hackstol and the assistants have done a fantastic job in this area. I think these are the main reasons why UND continues to do so well with recruiting.

Every recruit is different. Some like the tradition (all the championships and NHL players produced here). Some think the coahes are the #1 reason. Some like the facilities. The location helps for guys from Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Western Ontario. Some like a college town and to be the #1 game in town on page 1 of the newspapers. with some its connections. We scored BIG with Parise, which led to the Shattuck connection. Lincoln helps us out. We have a good connection in BC which has been great to us over the last 30 years. Strong support of alumni especially former players who send their sons here (Duncan, Chorney, Wilson and others. And I suppose some like the school.