SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football

UND_Hockey

I was at part of the scrimmage on Saturday and noticed that Groeschl was back at receiver. Whatever the deal was with switching back, it was a smart move for both him and the team. He would have been no better than third on the depth chart at QB (behind two guys in the same class) and he's too good of an athlete to stand on the sidelines and watch. With him back at receiver, I'm a lot more comfortable with the talent and depth at that position going into the year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you hit it on the head. Get that athlete on the field and let him go to work... Talked to Dale this week and he said Lee's move was a "mutual decision" based on the availability of playing time at WR and lack of the same at QB. Apparently, Shad Carney has made some "big strides" this season and Lee would have probably been 4th on the DC at best. One point Lennon did make was, if the Sioux ever got in a real pinch - he'd be a nice "insurance" policy in case worse came to worst...

BTW - Belmore is, again quoting, looking "very good" in spring ball and Weston "built like a brick shithouse and I dare you to take a s&!t on me!" Dressler has had a very good spring. (Although that might be TOO LONG for a real nickname) Amazing what your FIRST spring practices will do for you after getting thrown in as a true freshman. This guy will be someone to watch....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's going to be doing the kicking tomorrow? I assume Glas has had to sit out this spring since he's a 6th-year-senior-to-be. In the Herald's depth chart, they listed Duane Wenzel, a 2003 defensive back recruit who wasn't even on the roster last year, as the kicker, but I wonder if that was just a mistake on their part?

Who's going to be doing the kicking tomorrow? I assume Glas has had to sit out this spring since he's a 6th-year-senior-to-be. In the Herald's depth chart, they listed Duane Wenzel, a 2003 defensive back recruit who wasn't even on the roster last year, as the kicker, but I wonder if that was just a mistake on their part?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no idea- is Cody Saunders still on the team or has he called it quits? I remember watching the field goal kicking part of the scrimmage on Saturday and wondering who it was out there because the number didn't seem familiar. But sometimes people switch numbers in the off-season or wear different stuff for practice so I didn't think too much of it.

As an aside....I was/am really hoping Saunders sticks around for his senior year. He obviously doesn't have the range that Glas does, but he's accurate and would be a terrific insurance policy if something ever happened to Jeff.

I was a little surprised that Storhaug is listed as the starting center at this point. I figured Braegelmann may more over to that slot. Obviously I hope Storhaug can handle the job, and if he does he would be the smallest UND starting offensive lineman in many, many years, at least in terms of height. I don't recall the last starting lineman who was under 6'0".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jeff Briggs, started @ center in 1987 I believe he was about 5' 9" - 5' 10"

Jeff Briggs, started @ center in 1987 I believe he was about 5' 9" - 5' 10"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It wouldn't surprise me if Briggs was actually in the 5'10" range, although he was listed at 6'0" in the program (believe it or not, I actually have one!). Back then, the biggest UND offensive lineman was 265 so obviously times have really changed. It's clear that the UND coaches have a strong preference for offensive linemen who are at least 6'2", and preferably taller than that. Aside from Braegelmann who is listed as being 6'1", it's been quite some time since UND has signed an offensive lineman shorter than 6'2". Presumably, that's why Storhaug had to walk-on. You see quite a few 6'0" and under offensive linemen in the NSIC, but not too many in the NCC.

It wouldn't surprise me if Briggs was actually in the 5'10" range, although he was listed at 6'0" in the program (believe it or not, I actually have one!). Back then, the biggest UND offensive lineman was 265 so obviously times have really changed. It's clear that the UND coaches have a strong preference for offensive linemen who are at least 6'2", and preferably taller than that. Aside from Braegelmann who is listed as being 6'1", it's been quite some time since UND has signed an offensive lineman shorter than 6'2". Presumably, that's why Storhaug had to walk-on. You see quite a few 6'0" and under offensive linemen in the NSIC, but not too many in the NCC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How tall was Mac? Couldn't have been very tall at all.

This is just a question out of the blue, but has anybody seen Danny Freund play this spring?  I think that this guy is the future of the Sioux offense.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He won't move ahead of either Belmore or Manke. Carney has had a good spring. If Freund continues to develop he will be the QB of the future, but he won't be for a couple of years yet. That is also why Groeschl moved back to wide-out.

Carney did have a good spring and hell yeah, that's why LeeG moved back to receier. He would have been no better than the #4 QB. - prospects were a lot better at WR. ..so who's goinng to tailgate? I'll be wandering looking for free brats and BEERS before the game :D Donars gladly accepted...

How was the Spring Football game and how many people showed up to watch?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the weather was anything like it was here at GVSU, probably not a whole lot!! You guys play your spring games out in Memorial Stadium right??

Brrr.... I thought I could pack up my thermal underwear up for the season. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go plug into my heater. ;):D

Edited by bigmrg74

On that big run by Strouth-- Anderson, Ullsberger, Gagner, Brandsted and Hoffschneider were all on the sidelines (and those were just the starters I noticed). The two inside linebackers on that play (Meek and Schmitz) really got swallowed up by Kuper and the boys up front. I think Digger and Ullsberger might have fared a little better. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's good to know. Thanks for setting me straight.

A few questions that I had were answered yesterday. First, Jamaal Franklin is apparently still on the team. He was listed as one of the players who was not participating in the game, along with Glas, Trenbeath, Sundby, Hoffelt and Grossman. Second, Duane Wenzel is indeed the backup kicker. He's no Jeff Glas, but he looked like an adequate emergency kicker. Third, my point about Storhaug's lack of height is no longer an issue, since now he's listed in the program as being 6'0" instead of 5'11". :D

Does anybody know whether Mike Rohde is still around? I didn't see that he got any carries yesterday, although the "other" running back recruit out of Wisconsin, Jordan Armentraut, looked good.

A few questions that I had were answered yesterday. First, Jamaal Franklin is apparently still on the team. He was listed as one of the players who was not participating in the game, along with Glas, Trenbeath, Sundby, Hoffelt and Grossman. Second, Duane Wenzel is indeed the backup kicker. He's no Jeff Glas, but he looked like an adequate emergency kicker. Third, my point about Storhaug's lack of height is no longer an issue, since now he's listed in the program as being 6'0" instead of 5'11".  :D 

Does anybody know whether Mike Rohde is still around? I didn't see that he got any carries yesterday, although the "other" running back recruit out of Wisconsin, Jordan Armentraut, looked good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Franklin had surgery on his shoulder.

Mike Rohde quit he is a quiter, he quit....j franklin is sitting out due to the fact that he is still doing rehab on his surgically repaired shoulder. Mike Rohde QUIT. John bowenkamp has signed a deal with the vikings.. nothing big , undrafted freeagent so good luck to him. I was impressed with anthony long, he will help out the team in many ways. Mike Rohde quit. digger only had like 5 or 6 plays along with alot of other key starters on d-fence so you can really say it was the 1's vs 1's. I hate QB sneaks and QB keeps during a spring scrimage. First its dumb because you can't hit the QB ( Unless you are digger, like he did to belmore, that was funny) and second no one wants to see those plays anyways. To reply to who ever asked about mac schneider and how tall he was when he played....it doesn't matter because he squated over 500+ lbs. He was strong enough. The offensive line has already got its 6 or 7 players that will be the main core players so I think they will be fine next year. The new posters for next years football season is out now. The only problem is that, no where on the poster does it say "2005" the year the sioux will play in. Mike Rohde Quit! I like the group of receivers that we have for next year. congrats to all the d2 players selected in the draft.

Mike Rohde quit he is a quiter, he quit....j franklin is sitting out due to the fact that he is still doing rehab on his surgically repaired shoulder. Mike Rohde QUIT. John bowenkamp has signed a deal with the vikings.. nothing big , undrafted freeagent so good luck to him. I was impressed with anthony long, he will help out the team in many ways. Mike Rohde quit. digger only had like 5 or 6 plays along with alot of other key starters on d-fence so you can really say it was the 1's vs 1's. I hate QB sneaks and QB keeps during a spring scrimage. First its dumb because you can't hit the QB ( Unless you are digger, like he did to belmore, that was funny) and second no one wants to see those plays anyways. To reply to who ever asked about mac schneider and how tall he was when he played....it doesn't matter because he squated over 500+ lbs. He was strong enough. The offensive line has already got its 6 or 7 players that will be the main core players so I think they will be fine next year. The new posters for next years football season is out now. The only problem is that, no where on the poster does it say "2005" the year the sioux will play in. Mike Rohde Quit! I like the group of receivers that we have for next year. congrats to all the d2 players selected in the draft.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So let me get this straight. Are you saying Rohde quit or what? Is that on the new poster for for 2005?

Someone asked how many werre at the scrimmage. About 1200 fans maybe. Some stayed only for part of the scrimmage and some came late.

Defense looked pretty good. Greenwood had a good scrimmage and a nice pick and made some run stops. Longe had a nice pick on Belmore. Alexander is fast and also covered pretty well.

Belmore missed an open receiver for a TD and seemed a bit frustrated with his poor play in the second half of the scrimmage. Freund isn't ready yet and Carney was OK. Manke moved the team pretty well. Pick on the goal line that he tried to force a bit but other wise scrambled well and had a nice TD pass he laid right on the receivers hands. One of the guys who has been to all of the spring practices and scrimmages says he is playing better than Belmore but it is close. As long as Mussman is there he will need to grow 2 more inches before he gets a break from him. He should come out of spring ball ahead of Belmore. He did last spring and they moved him down to three when Bowencamp got hurt.

A number of receivers made nice catches (3 diving) but on two of the picks they need to knock those down so the DB can't get to the ball. Receivers also blocked well at times. O-line usually gets knocked around in the spring scrimmage but they did pretty well.

Teams looks quicker. RB's had a good day. Overall good depth. Save your frequent flyer miles for Florence if they stay healthy.

On that big run by Strouth-- Anderson, Ullsberger, Gagner, Brandsted and Hoffschneider were all on the sidelines (and those were just the starters I noticed). The two inside linebackers on that play (Meek and Schmitz) really got swallowed up by Kuper and the boys up front. I think Digger and Ullsberger might have fared a little better. :glare:

The coaching staff wanted to keep the star guys healthy, especially on defense it seemed. So although they say it was the #1 offense against the #1 defense, in reality many of the top defensive players weren't on the field that often.

More impressions from me later....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Herald claimed that the coaches are calling this one of our best defenses in history. Now that's saying something! The last time I checked, a solid defense and a good running game are the two most important ingredients for a championship team. Gonna be a heck of a season!

More impressions from me later....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK...it's later :glare:

From watching the spring game (and some other spring practices in general) I think the big change on defense is going to be the speed at cornerback. Franklin (assuming he's healthy), Longe, and Alexander can all really fly and I think they will give the Sioux defense more options as far as press coverages and things like that. I don't remember a UND team ever having this kind of speed at the CB spots. Obviously, the rest of the defense is deep, talented, and experienced and is of no concern.

On offense, I'm encouraged by what I saw from the wide receivers. More depth than last year, and just as importantly, more size. Caufield looked good out there for a freshman and Presthus and Tatum also look like good sized guys capable of making a contribution. I also think Dressler looks very good and I'm extremely comfortable with him being the number one guy. He's going to cause some headaches for opponents this year.

At running back, I was impressed by Strouth's speed and how explosive he is at hitting the whole. Beatty also looked good and I think he can replace Roland as the "hammer". And although Charles isn't extremely talented, he's experienced and won't hurt you if called upon.

Quarterback- from what I saw in the previous Saturday's scrimmage and a couple of practices, Belmore looked very good and is clearly the number one guy. He did not play particularly well in the scrimmage though. Manke looked good in the scrimmage and I think he is also more than capable of doing the job. Whoever plays, I think this position is solid and experienced and it won't be a major issue if injuries creep up like last year.

I think the key to the whole offense is going to be the line. The look like they are capable of opening some holes in the running game like last year, which is good. The question I have is the tackles (Buisker, Hoffelt, Bronson, Bauer). Are those guys (and the line in general) going to be able to pass protect well enough one on one so that the offense feels comfortable spreading things out and throwing the ball down the field?

If so, we can go to a lot of 3 and 4 receiver sets like in 2003 and run and pass out of it effectively and really give people some problems. If not, we'll have to go back to the tighter formations like last year and play it more conservative (and probably have a hard time scoring points again at times).

So, all and all, I think it comes down to the offense. If they can be more efficient and put just a few more points on the board (like 2003), there is no doubt in my mind that this is a national championship caliber team. If the offense struggles to score like last year, this is still a great team, but it will be much tougher to accomplish the ultimate goal (a national title).