SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday's NY Times

tony

The 2/19/05 NY Times, in its ongoing effort to have at least three iPod-related stories in every issue, had a front-page story on "podcasting" in which they profile Grand Forks residents, Brad Dokken and Brad Durick and their podcast "Why Fish."

The online NY Times is a subscription deal and I read the print version or I'd put a link.

I thought it was pretty neat even though I have an urge to vomit everytime I read/hear/smell yet another story on the freaking iPod (it's a $400 walkman, for gosh sakes!)

Since no one responded, I'll be the first...

Cool, cool. I agree the Ipod is overpriced, but credit Apple for the marketing buzz. It is/was a very unique and awesome piece of hardware, but I think in a few years you will see it's market share disappear as Apple is known for not listening to it's customers. For example the new ipod should be able to play VIDEOs as well as pictures. The ipod flash doesn't come with a screen??? Very disappointing. I believe the mp3 market will deteriorate as mp3 as integrated into phones, pda, Playstation Portable, etc.

I don't know maybe this isn't legit, and the moderators can censor this if they wish, but I frequent vastlane.org, and they clearly demonstrate that anyone who wishes to view nytimes.com articles can use their account of vastlane;vastlane to get in.

Usually you can find a partner link to Times stories or a specially coded link that bypasses the registration, for example:

Tired of TiVo? Beyond blogs? Podcasts are here

Also mentioned in the article is Dave Miller's "Miller Report", from which he has another link: grandforkscity.com.

I've seen it claimed many places that most podcasts are not actually used by people with portable music players, rather its people on their PCs. The claim is that the increase in popularity now is because of the ease of recording and serving open formats (e.g. mp3) instead of traditional licensed formats.

As to the value of an iPod... I personally find the sweet spot to be around the iPod mini. Tiny device (iPods are a little big for a pocket), 4Gb music, ~$200. I own no such toys, but my wife does, and it really is dramatically easier to carry a mini than the corresponding 20-30 CDs into the car, into work, to the gym, etc... I personally have no need for a 60Gb+ $400 music-only units, because I usually choose what to listen to so don't need (or even really want) every song I've ever owned with me at all times.

It kinda got lost in my iPod rant but I think podcasts are cool - and it's very cool that the two Grand Forks guys are doing a fishing show (gotta love having people around who do stuff like that).

I do think iPods are cool, it's just that they are more of a cultural phenomenon than a technological one - but what do I see in tech sites? "Oh look, somebody invented a new iPod cozy" or "iPods come in a new color - thousands of hipster doofi orgasm simultaneously."

I do think iPods are cool, it's just that they are more of a cultural phenomenon than a technological one - but what do I see in tech sites? "Oh look, somebody invented a new iPod cozy" or "iPods come in a new color - thousands of hipster doofi orgasm simultaneously."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't lump me in with the doofi, but I love my iPod. I travel alot. When I say alot, I mean last year I put on about 10,000 miles (in a car...I have no idea how many miles I packed in flying), and having my iPod was nice. I have a transmitter that lets me play it through the radio in my car. Much easier than carrying around CDs or trying to find a radio station in the middle of nowhere.

I do agree that it probably isn't all that cutting edge in a technology sense, but I am still happy to have all of my songs with me on the road. :silly: