SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux at Seawolves

Wreckincrew

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the fun part about it, jk. Remember back in 1997 when the Sioux were picked to finish 5th in the WCHA coaches poll? I believe local media polls had them no higher than that, too. I'll still consider winning the Final Five that year at the old St Paul Civic Center one of my greatest Sioux hockey memories ever. And then to watch BU beat Michigan and see the Sioux come roaring back from a 2-0 deficit to win the NCAA title....what a great story. Had UND won the title last season, would I have been happy? You know I would have been. But it's different when it's expected and not totally by surprise.

I have given some thought to what I have witnessed this year. I think right now that alot of us are extremely bummed out by what we saw. I try to make it a point to not get personal re: the players...I made the mistake on Saturday night of getting a little too personal... They are kids and they make mistakes. If they were getting paid, we'd all hold them to a much higher standard (if that's possible).

I know what it's like to sit in a locker room on the losing end of a game when you've given 100 percent. It happens in my work life too - Have you ever been involved in a project that starts going to hell and no matter how much you try, no matter how much heart you put in it, it just keeps getting worse??? Most of us probably can think of one or two situations and I'd bet that, in most cases, those situations occurred when were just getting started, when we were inexperienced. I think we've got a little of that (or alot of that) going on here. Alot of inexperienced guys trying to deal with a situation (losing) that they are not accustomed to handling. Think about the level of the recruits we have...many only know about winning. None were associated with losing when they came here.

I remember in the movie Miracle when Herbie looks over at the Soviet coach near the end of the game and says "he doesn't know what to do"...  I think, if nothing else, this season will bring a new level of maturity to the team...

With regard to my comments re: Hak...I guess I never agreed with the process used to hire him so I'll always be sour on him - I'm pre-disposed to that I guess. And you have to admit, his easy going demeanor on the bench and in public is making it very easy for the rubes to second guess him.

Supertrex, you make many good points. I agree with you.

On Hak, the only thing I'll say is that Hak didn't design the search process. I don't think we should hold him accountable for a process he didn't design. Hak should be as accountable as any other coach who could have been hired. If John Marks or Steve Johnson was selected and the team was in the same position today, would we be calling for their head? If so, then our reaction to Hak is justified. If not, then we are holding Hak to a different standard based solely on how he was hired. And how he was hired is not his fault. Roger Thomas should be accountable for that, and he's on his way out the back door.

Only other thing I would have to say is this: Likely the new AD is going to want to be in place for a while before making any decisions on coaches, etc. Even if we think Hak's not the right coach, I can't see anything happening before a year or 2 anyway as the new AD evaluates the whole situation.

I'm still a supporter of Hak as I see the younger players doing well, responding well, and contributing. I see Blais' guys not holding up. Hak's got a very good class coming next year and a decent start for '06. Add to that no change in coaching for a while anyway and I'm just not going to get into the worrying about whether we have the right coach right now. Hak will prove over the next year or 2 if he's the guy.

Dam Strait,

I'm just glad that UND didn't send out e-mails to 11,000 people asking them for their opinions on the coaching selection process or whether or not they feel Hakstol should be fired at the end of this season. Were you on board when UND hired Dean Blais after Gino Gasparini was let go? Were you high-fiving your Sioux buddies because you were so excited that this no-name high school coach was picked to lead your Sioux? What did you think after two years of mediocre hockey after Dean took over? My money says you were calling for his head too. And then 1997 and 2000 came along...If it's 2-3 years from now and the Sioux are mudding thru another .500 season, I'll agree with you. Until then, just because the Sioux didn't meet your own personal expectations this season doesn't mean much. I realize that plenty of fans on this board feel that anything less than an 8th national title is considered a crappy season, but gimme a frickin' break. I'm glad I have seen a national title in my lifetime, let alone several of them. I could be a BC fan from the 1940's who died in the 1970's crying because they didn't win it all again.

I guess I see your point on this...If I were qualified and the phone rang that day, I would have accepted without quibbling over the selection process...

As to my other points above, inexperience could have been (and should have been) offset by senior leadership and Hak could certainly use some leadership help from guys who have been around a bit...

Even 'tho it looks like a long shot, I'm hoping the Sioux can pull it out somehow and get into the NCAA...they don't have to go to Columbus, but at least make the tournament. As I've said, I've spent the last few days thinking about this year and how it would be for me in that locker room and I must say that I'm over the disappointment of last weekend and I'm looking for the positives that even losing seasons can bring to a team.

Ultimately, Hak will have to bring a winner from this season's lessons - that is his job.

As to my other points above, inexperience could have been (and should have been) offset by senior leadership and Hak could certainly use some leadership help from guys who have been around a bit...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am still confused about his comment that Brandt is a leader in the locker room, yet he never gives him a chance to play. ???

I realize that plenty of fans on this board feel that anything less than an 8th national title is considered a crappy season,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a significant "space" between an 8th national title and the season this year has been. Certainly a lot more space than that between an 8th national title and last year's season.

Dam Strait,

You mentioned Dean's SECOND year of coaching when they came to the Final Five and almost upset a heavily favored Gopher team (1995 - I was there). You didn't mention Dean's FIRST year, when the Sioux were a .500 team. Now is that because they were expected to suck and exceeded expectations that season and therefore Dean is a hero or is it because the gods of the science of expectations and polls thought an NCAA title should be on the horizon this season and a failure to get close to one should result in lopping off Hakstol's head?

Let's look at some past favorites in the NCAA tournament, shall we?

1997...Michigan...a sure-fire pick to repeat. Did not. Down with Red Berenson!

1998...Sioux heavily favored to repeat. Didn't even make it out of the regional, losing to Michigan.

1999...Again, UND expected to win it....embarrassed in Madison regional by BC. Dean Blais...has he lost it? He should have won 3 straight NCAA titles! Fire him!

2000...Not expected to do much, Sioux win it all. Think BC is feeling frustrated by now? They have now lost three straight NCAA title games...time to fire Jerry York? Sioux fans now ask pope to petition Dean Blais for sainthood.

2001...Sioux over-achieve and make NCAA title game. Honestly, I think this was Dean's best coaching year at UND.

2002 and 2003...every Sioux fan's nightmare. Enough said. Oh I wish Lucia had stayed at CC.

2004...Goldy Gopher getting cocky about three-peat. Thanks, Bulldogs, for snuffing out that dream.

Bottom line is the favorite rarely wins. Pre-season polls and pre-season fan expectations mean nothing. That's my whole point. Now another mediocre season by the Sioux next season, and I'll start agreeing with you, but until then, ease up on the hair triggers calling for a canning of Hakstol, will you?

Dam Strait,

I'm just glad that UND didn't send out e-mails to 11,000 people asking them for their opinions on the coaching selection process or whether or not they feel Hakstol should be fired at the end of this season.  Were you on board when UND hired Dean Blais after Gino Gasparini was let go?  Were you high-fiving your Sioux buddies because you were so excited that this no-name high school coach was picked to lead your Sioux?  What did you think after two years of mediocre hockey after Dean took over?  My money says you were calling for his head too.  And then 1997 and 2000 came along...If it's 2-3 years from now and the Sioux are mudding thru another .500 season, I'll agree with you.  Until then, just because the Sioux didn't meet your own personal expectations this season doesn't mean much.  I realize that plenty of fans on this board feel that anything less than an 8th national title is considered a crappy season, but gimme a frickin' break.  I'm glad I have seen a national title in my lifetime, let alone several of them.  I could be a BC fan from the 1940's who died in the 1970's crying because they didn't win it all again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm a little sick of your rants and lectures vilifying every Sioux fan who questions the hiring of Hakstol or who dares to say that they are disappointed in this season. I could give a rats ass if you have been a Sioux fan for 20 years. I have been one for nearly twice that long and a season ticket holder for 18 years. Let's put to bed some of the fallacies and myths shall we? First, you cannot compare the early 90's at the end of Gino's tenure with this team. I was at those games, and you could throw a rock in any direction and probably not hit anyone. That was clearly the dark days of Sioux hockey because Gino had lost his assistants who did the bulk of the recruiting (Marks and Blais) and Gino was no longer doing any coaching. That should not ever happen again because we now have a new $100,000+ arena that was meant to ensure that we were always able to compete with Michigan, BC, Minnesota, etc. More importantly, we can no longer afford to have those types of years EVER if we hope to pay for the operating costs of the new arena. Second, I know of almost no one that complained when Blais was hired. Why? Because we interviewed outside candidates and he was clearly the best candidate. He was the assistant and primary recruiter for Gino during the glory years of the 80's. He also won a state title with Roseau, not a small accomplishment considering the success of non-Twin Cities teams in the Minnesota Class AA tournament. Third, no one could have possibly complained when Blais' first year the team was .500 because they had been at the bottom for 3 years. The improvement was obvious and immediate, despite the fact that he had mediocre talent that he did not recruit. By contrast, Hakstol was handed a very talented team that was picked 2nd in the WCHA by the coaches even AFTER Bochenski unexpectedly left. Thus, it is reasonable to have had high expectations for this team. Finally, though not his fault, the hiring process for Hakstol was suspect at best. As a result, he will have a very short rope.

As a Sioux fan, I have a right to have high expectations. If you choose to make excuses, so be it, but don't rip on every Sioux fan who happens to disagree with your myopic view of the situation.

Wow, a fan for 40 years and a season ticket holder for 18+ years? You're right, you should have received a phone call from Dean Blais himself asking your opinion on who you thought should be the new coach. ???

Again, we're back to the topic of "this team was picked to finish 2nd in the conference!" and now we're moaning about it. Pre-season polls mean nothing...will people ever get that thru their heads? Hell, I have a better idea...why don't we take the pre-season national poll, then cancel all the games and give the title trophy to the pre-season "winner"?

Ever seen Playboy's pre-season All-Americans in college football, then take a look at who actually IS an All-American at the end of the season? Big difference. Then again, nevermind, I probably couldn't tell you the name of a recent All-American, but I could tell you the name of the playmate he was posing with. ;)

By the way, I'd hardly think I'm ranting or villifying anyone who disagrees with me. I think you'll find I'm one of the more open-minded fans on siouxsports.com.

Has this Sioux team under-achieved? I think so. Do you want to set the precedent that you win OR ELSE at UND? I would hope not. Am I disappointed in this season's team? Yes. I'm obviously not the only one. The process is what it is and Hakstol is the head coach. Now give him another year or two, will you? Since you're so upset about Hakstol, are you also thinking UMD should consider canning Scott Sandelin? After all, they were the pre-season #1 in the conference, right?

One more comment, skateshattrick, that shiny new arena isn't a guarantee of ANYTHING. If you think it is, you are sadly mistaken. Have you ever seen Yost Arena? I've attended games there several times. It's a dump. However, it's also a cherished relic. It just depends on what type of fan you are and what your idea of a hockey arena is. There is a lot more to a hockey program than thinking that having the spiffiest arena means you'll get the best players.

More importantly, we can no longer afford to have those types of years EVER if we hope to pay for the operating costs of the new arena.

Is that so? I challenge you to show me a sports franchise in ANY sport that has never had a bad year. 49'ers? Try again. Steelers? Nope. Lakers? Buzz. Yankees? Check the 1980's. Keep looking...and good luck.

2001...Sioux over-achieve and make NCAA title game.  Honestly, I think this was Dean's best coaching year at UND. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. And remember who was in his first year as an assistant coach? It was the same person who was rapidly promoted to associate head coach that season. And remember why that happened? The associate head coach had to assume some of Blais' responsibilities while he was away from the team because of his daughter's life-threatening illness.

We now know that Wendy Blais was gravely ill during Blais' last two seasons at UND. How much extra burden did that place on the associate head coach?

We recently learned that Dave Hakstol has been coaching the team while his father fought cancer, a disease that ultimately took his life. Anyone who's watched a close relative die from a terminal illness knows that it's a physically and emotionally draining experience.

Hakstol was there when Blais needed him and did an exemplary job. Shortly after he was selected head coach, I asked Dave if the time he spent filling in for Blais improved his qualifications for the position. He wouldn't even answer the question. He just did what he had to do. It was simply part of the job. He wanted no recognition for it.

Hakstol has paid his dues to UND. He deserves a fair chance under better circumstances than he had this season.

Wow, a fan for 40 years and a season ticket holder for 18+ years?  You're right, you should have received a phone call from Dean Blais himself asking your opinion on who you thought should be the new coach.  ??? 

Again, we're back to the topic of "this team was picked to finish 2nd in the conference!" and now we're moaning about it.  Pre-season polls mean nothing...will people ever get that thru their heads?  Hell, I have a better idea...why don't we take the pre-season national poll, then cancel all the games and give the title trophy to the pre-season "winner"? 

Ever seen Playboy's pre-season All-Americans in college football, then take a look at who actually IS an All-American at the end of the season?  Big difference.  Then again, nevermind, I probably couldn't tell you the name of a recent All-American, but I could tell you the name of the playmate he was posing with.  :lol:

By the way, I'd hardly think I'm ranting or villifying anyone who disagrees with me.  I think you'll find I'm one of the more open-minded fans on siouxsports.com. 

Has this Sioux team under-achieved?  I think so.  Do you want to set the precedent that you win OR ELSE at UND?  I would hope not.  Am I disappointed in this season's team?  Yes.  I'm obviously not the only one.  The process is what it is and Hakstol is the head coach.  Now give him another year or two, will you?  Since you're so upset about Hakstol, are you also thinking UMD should consider canning Scott Sandelin?  After all, they were the pre-season #1 in the conference, right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I brought up the fact that I have been a fan for that long only because you made the comment that you had been a Sioux fan for 20 years and then proceeded to call others who disagree with you "newbies". ;) I am tired of that phrase as it is condescending and implies that someone who has not been around as long does not know what they are talking about. Well, I've been around and I disagree with you as well, so please don't label anyone who disagrees with you as a "newbie." Everyone on this board has a right to express their opinions regarding Hakstol, etc. without being ripped by you. Read your posts. They sound like someone who believes only his own opinion matters. I guess we can agree to disagree. I for one and am extremely disappointed in this year and find it unacceptable. I'm willing to give Hakstol another year, but if next year is more of the same, then we need to open up the search again, only this time wider.

Finally, though not his fault, the hiring process for Hakstol was suspect at best. As a result, he will have a very short rope.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe we should consider the possibility that shortening the rope even more than it already is might make the situation worse, not better.

You're right, skateshattrick, we need to run David Hakstol out of town as soon as possible. And look as foolish as Notre Dame football in the process. That way, we can bring in the next guy, put a loaded gun to his head, and say "win NOW or get fired" and he'll say "sure, when can I start?".

You know what I'm sick of? Fans that take personal cheap shots at the coach and who arm-chair coach from section 214. Why don't you apply for a job somewhere? I'm sure all that experience would help.