SiouxSports.com Forum

NCC expansion

jimdahl

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) There is no other quick fix for finding others schools to join the NCC. Having only six conference FB games is not a good thing. It doesn't make for a very interesting conference race and finding 4 or 5 nonconference games is often difficlut.

2) I don't know this to be fact but I would guess that UND will not need to pay either of the WA schools any guarantees if they are part of the conference.

3) There is no question that travel out west will be expensive but each current NCC team would only go out there once a year - alternating between the two schools. This will be a major expense for Augie, etc. but from UND's point of view. Hell - we needed to schedule both of them this year just to fill out our schedule so the cost won't be any higher. In fact, it may be lower (disregarding inflation, etc).

#1---so a quick fix is what we want...Mary would have joined the NCC if they would not have gotten the impression the NCC was too big time for them!!! Like I stated earlier...works for football but what about all the other conference teams we have?? so they just wait it out...and long term...what if a team that has football decides against the NCC because we have added these teams for football only...so now the NCC will be looking for teams to fill the conference schedule without a football team to balance it out?:D makes no sense!!!

2---our gurantee is lower than what it will cost to fly to Washington!!!

3--how do you figure with 7 teams in the conference now, that you will only fly out to Washington once??? two teams in Washington, 7 in the midwest...do the math...who will be flying where more??? there will be at least two teams flying to Washington twice....and at 35,000 a trip flying commercial....thats a chunk of change...

So will WWU and CWU have to increase schollies to 30 to meet the NCC minimum, or will they not be held to those standards because they are "affilliate" members?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would imagine that there will be some sort of agreement between the NCC and the Washington schools that they will at least continue working towards an increase in scholarships over time. As far as the 30 minimum being enforced, SCSU is below 30 right now!

1) There is no other quick fix for finding others schools to join the NCC. Having only six conference FB games is not a good thing. It doesn't make for a very interesting conference race and finding 4 or 5 nonconference games is often difficlut.

2) I don't know this to be fact but I would guess that UND will not need to pay either of the WA schools any guarantees if they are part of the conference.

3) There is no question that travel out west will be expensive but each current NCC team would only go out there once a year - alternating between the two schools. This will be a major expense for Augie, etc. but from UND's point of view. Hell - we needed to schedule both of them this year just to fill out our schedule so the cost won't be any higher. In fact, it may be lower (disregarding inflation, etc).

#1---so a quick fix is what we want...Mary would have joined the NCC if they would not have gotten the impression the NCC was too big time for them!!!  Like I stated earlier...works for football but what about all the other conference teams we have??  so they just wait it out...and long term...what if a team that has football decides against the NCC because we have added these teams for football only...so now the NCC will be looking for teams to fill the conference schedule without a football team to balance it out?:D  makes no  sense!!!

3--how do you figure with 7 teams in the conference now, that you will only fly out to Washington once???  two teams in Washington, 7 in the midwest...do the math...who will be flying where more???  there will be at least two teams flying to Washington twice....and at 35,000 a trip flying commercial....thats a chunk of change...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your #1 - This is an affiliation with these two WA schools. It will end very quickly if we find other schools who will join the conference in all sports. The NCC is smart enough to know not to get themselves into a situation that will backfire if they find Midwest school(s) interested in joining.

Again, I agree that seven schools isn't enough in ALL sports but there isn't anyone out there. But this will help address the problem in FB on a temporary basis. I don't know if your statement about Mary is fact or not but, in my opinion, they are doing the right thing. There is no question that the NCC is stronger than the NSIC. It makes sense that they make that initial step to DII in a less competitive, less costly conference while they grow their fund raising efforts, etc. I think they will do quite well in the NSIC fairly quickly. Then, if they want to move to the NCC and feel they can afford it, it would make more sense for all parties.

#2 - This year we are flying to WA AND paying a guarantee. I don't understand your point!

#3 - I will try not to sound sarcastic in my response but the answer is simple. One year UND (or Augie, whoever) will play CWU out there and WWU at home. The next year, they would play CWU at home and travel to WWU. That equates to one trip west per year!! You would only get into the situation of traveling to both schools in one year if you played each team twice a year - basketball, for example.

which brings up another good point....why add teams that arent even close to being fully funded?? will this help the league get stronger....Mary would be able to add scholarships faster than these schools will be able to...makes no sense at all....15 scholarships are you kidding me....why dont we just play Moorhead St. or Concordia..

how do you figure every team in the midwest will only travel once...in order to fulfill the schedule...more than one team will fly out there twice in a year simple math....7 teams in the midwest...2 in Washington...either that or the Washington teams will be traveling way more than the midwest teams...which should make them happy!!!

#1---so a quick fix is what we want...Mary would have joined the NCC if they would not have gotten the impression the NCC was too big time for them!!!  Like I stated earlier...works for football but what about all the other conference teams we have??  so they just wait it out...and long term...what if a team that has football decides against the NCC because we have added these teams for football only...so now the NCC will be looking for teams to fill the conference schedule without a football team to balance it out?:D  makes no  sense!!!

Mary was never interested in the NCC. The basic reason Mary moved to the NSIC and DII is to gain exposure into Minnesota and a broader area for recruiting students. A move to the NSIC was a lateral one in the sense that no increase in scholarship money is necessary and the overall budget increases will be minimal. Maybe Mary will be interested in the NCC in the future, but they're not now.

Even if they remain out of the NCC, teams like CWU and WWU aren't going to continue to come here year after year without some return games. UND is going to CWU this year and my understanding is that the contract with WWU includes a return trip by UND next year anyway.

The other thing is that once the NSIC gets back to 10 teams next year, the NCC is going to be forced to play the Washington schools to fill out their schedules. With the expanded playoffs there are only 11 weeks to the regular season so it will be next to impossible for NCC teams to find 10 or 11 games when all of the other conferences are in league play by mid-September.

3--how do you figure with 7 teams in the conference now, that you will only fly out to Washington once???  two teams in Washington, 7 in the midwest...do the math...who will be flying where more???  there will be at least two teams flying to Washington twice....and at 35,000 a trip flying commercial....thats a chunk of change...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't believe the NCC would be doing this if it weren't comfortable that an 8th all sports member will be added soon. If there are an even number of schools "up here", than each school only needs to make one trip to Washington per year.

i disagree that this is not a good  move....temporary solution to a long term problem....what is the gurantee UND pays the two Washington schools to come to UND...15 grand...20 grand....what will it cost UND to fly out to Washington...travel party of 70 people at 500 a ticket....you tell me if it makes more sense to leave them as a come to UND home game for gate or have the chance of going to Washington twice in one year....UND cannot balance the budget now...how will this help the conference....Auggy will really love adding 70 grand to their travel budget for football...not a good move...and oh by the way....not to mention it isnt helping any of the other programs in the NCC!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please see above - You made this comment regarding UND ".....or have the chance of going to Washington twice in one year". You were referring to one team going west twice in one year. That was what I was addressing. Obviously, that would apply to each NCC team!!!!

dont you have any information to leak out from coach glas...he hasnt given u any lately...lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What does that have to do with this conversation??

A serious question as I agree with some of your points: You don't like what the NCC is doing regarding the WA schools or their efforts to expand the conference. What is your suggestion as to what should be done?

everything....credibility!!!

With just six league games, NCC teams are forced to schedule up to five non-conference foes. Should the Washington schools join, seven league dates would be under control.

"I really see it as a short term solution," Herbster said.

That's because the existing NCC teams would each travel to either Central or Western Washington each season and flying a football travel party would be costly.

"That's a pretty hefty trip to take each year," Herbster said.

Herbster is the AD at Omaha...obviously someone with rational agrees with me!!!!

everything....credibility!!!

With just six league games, NCC teams are forced to schedule up to five non-conference foes. Should the Washington schools join, seven league dates would be under control.

"I really see it as a short term solution," Herbster said.

That's because the existing NCC teams would each travel to either Central or Western Washington each season and flying a football travel party would be costly.

"That's a pretty hefty trip to take each year," Herbster said.

Herbster is the AD at Omaha...obviously someone with rational agrees with me!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As you question my credibility and apparently my rationale, I will discontinue this discussion with you.

By the way, I fully agree that 1) it is a short term solution and 2) the trip out West is costly!

I know it is costly for the ncc schools but imagine what it is going to cost the two washington schools.  Does anyone know where they get the money to do that kind of travel?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a good point there. You guys are bitching about having to travel to Washington for only one game every year. They are going to have to travel to ND, SD, Minn, and Omaha three or four times a year. They're still getting the raw end of the deal here people. And just who else are you guys going to get to play on a regular basis? The NSIC isn't going be availble all the time to play you guys, and the GLIAC only has one team a week that would be available to play in the fall.

Also, on a side note here. About the affiation, would that mean that for playoffs, they would be officially within the NCC and that they would be able to get into the playoffs with the NCC birth? Under the current rules, CWU and WWU as independent teams, would have to be ranked 6th or better in the region to get in. If they're offically in the NCC, all they would have to be is tenth, and if nobody else in the NCC is any better, they would have that spot right??

I am thrilled that the 2 washington schools are coming aboard. It is a nice short term solution to the numbers issue. Hopefully it will buy the ncc some time before a couple of midwest schools step up.

One school that is really upgrading a lot and may be a candidate in the future is sioux falls university. Theyare an naia power, they are really upgrading their facilities and they are committed to winning. They would be great rivals for augie.

I lived in Seattle for a time and went to a lot of Seattle pacific basketball games and know something about their league which is pretty good for everything but fb. If I were the univ president of the 4 schools that have fb I think I would look to go down to naia in fb alone or just disband fb altogether. The rewards for those schools just don't seem worth the costs. I do know Kentucky Wesleyan plays naia fb and competes in their other sports at d2 so it can be done. I am glad the washington schools are coming aboard but just don't see what the rewards are for them versus the heavy financial cost.

I will be very interested to see what humbolt and western oregon do after the 2 washington schools leave. If people think we have troubles just imagine what those two schools are going thru.

• 1 month later...

Seems like a good agreement. I like how it is for three years, and after the second year, it will be reviewed. This gives them an opportunity to decide if it is an arrangment they want to continue on. Just enough time to see how it works out for everyone while leaving the options open.

• 2 weeks later...