SiouxSports.com Forum

Are the Sioux becoming the Gophers?

Cratter

With the new Ralph, the Sioux are going to get high caliber recruites that they may have never been able to get before. We see more and more blue chipper high school players committing to the Sioux. Is this a good thing, are they to young, does that mean they will produce at the NCAA level? These young players committing to UND and then moving on to the NHL in a couple of year other than staying four year and trying to win an NCAA championship doesn't seem to help the team chemistry to much.

Also with the new building and recent championships the Sioux have a huge target on their backs every year. Just like the Gophers, the Sioux make other teams play some of their best.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new Ralph, the talented palyers the Sioux are able to get....Stafford, Parise, Toews :silly: , etc etc, but what made the Sioux win more NCAA Championships than any other team since 1980?

The main thing I think I've noticed is that the Sioux don't have as many kids from Canada on their roster anymore.

I don't really think going four years without winning the NCAAs is truly a sign of a problem though. Especially do the fact that the Sioux have been NCAA runners up and have a couple of WCHA titles in that span.

The main thing I think I've noticed is that the Sioux don't have as many kids from Canada on their roster anymore.

I don't really think going four years without winning the NCAAs is truly a sign of a problem though.  Especially do the fact that the Sioux have been NCAA runners up and have a couple of WCHA titles in that span.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also, I think that the WCHA has gotten that much more dominant. I mean, bottom 10 WCHA teams are still able to compete with other conferences in terms of strength, not to mention the ability to pull off a major victory of a top tier WCHA team. Just ask UAA, MTU, and MSUM fans this weekend about what they thought going into this weekend as to what would happen with their teams.

I'm not going to complain that UND is now landing recruits it wasn't able to land before the new barn, but I will say -- as a fan -- that it sure was easier to like the overachieving Sioux teams of 1996-97 through 2000-01 that won despite being made up of primarily second-tier recruits.

I don't really think going four years without winning the NCAAs is truly a sign of a problem though.  Especially do the fact that the Sioux have been NCAA runners up and have a couple of WCHA titles in that span.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may be on to something as Canadians hate to lose at hockey regardless of the level. It often inspires them to outplay individuals and teams that sometimes have more talent than they do.