SiouxSports.com Forum

Go Team Canada

Let'sGoHawks!

We must not have been watching the same game, because from my completely neutral (at least for that game) perspective, that is exactly what happened. The U.S. players - particularly Suter, Dowell and O'Sullivan - became so preoccupied with settling personal scores that they forgot about the one score that mattered. Their were countless "behind the play" incidents that seemingly went unnoticed by fans and referees alike, especially during the final 10 minutes or so.

Are the Russians unbearably cocky? Absolutely. But, in my opinion, it was that kind of emotional unravelling, selfishness and shocking lack of discipline that plagued the U.S. throughout the tournament, and it came to a head in the semi-final.

If U.S. fans and players were so bent out of shape by the actions of the Russians, maybe the team shouldn't have let it get to that point. Perhaps they would've been better served channeling that energy into settling the score where it is best settled: the scoreboard.

And bitch all you want about the big, bad Canadian fans (damn bullies!!!) making light of the U.S. loss to Belarus, but I was appalled at the lack of class shown by the so-called great hockey fans of Grand Forks who took it upon themselves to boo two Russian players while they laid on the ice BLEEDING. Then, on one of those occasions, booing the penalty call when the pool of blood on the ice clearly indicated it was the right call.

Was there an embarrasing amount of diving being conducted by the Russians? Yup. Believe me, that drives me as insane as anybody, but this was clearly not the case in these two instances.

I can understand some getting annoyed at this point by exuberant Canadian fans. I guess it would be kind of like that group of friends you invite to your house to party for the weekend and by the end of the weekend you're tired of their s&!t and you're just ready for them to go home already.

But don't forget, they were still invited in the first place. I find it hard to believe that had Canada lost to Belarus, we as Canadians would not be reminded about it in a constant, ableit good-natured way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I only saw one Russian laying on the ice bleeding. I saw about 10 Russians faking injuries trying to draw penalites. They all had red mouthguards - maybe that is what you saw as blood. It is hard to tell when a player is really hurt - especially when they have been taking dives all game.

I have never seen a hockey team act like the Russians did. No US player went after a Russian, although Dowell did get a little cheap with his stick. The US stayed very disciplined IMO.

As far as Canadian fans go - there are some real pricks, but as a whole they are great fans. For the most part the anti-US stuff is them trying to start a rivalry - every Canadian I talked to wanted a gold medal rematch. I will be chearing on Canada, in fact I think some anti Russian signs are in order.

My prediction for tomorrow - Canada 6 Russia 2.

I'm going to go watch Belarus beat the pathetic German team now :silly:

The Family Guy rules - that video clip would have been a must for the gold game if the US would have won.

Edited by jloos

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not justifying any diving or any of that other garbage pulled by the Russians. Both players were bleeding while they lay on the ice. I was on the opposite end of both of them and could see blood in both cases and durng that time, the booing was still going on.

Incidental high-sticking incidents still warrant high-sticking penalties. Often times, when blood is drawn, a double-minor may sometimes be handed down.

Please remember, I never once tried to justify the actions of the Russians; I was trying to provide a neutral perspective to the discussion.

And I still don't equate a good-natured Belarus jab with a lack of class. I also don't know what a past experience from a Jets game would have to do with this discussion, although I'm absolutely appalled something like that would happen.

Go CANADA! Beat those Randy Moss wanabes!

Here are some of my observations and comments about this Russian team:

Punks! Crybabies, and jerks. They will get theirs, either collectively from the Canadians, or in the future from NHL or minor league guys who will not forget their ridiculous behavior in that semi-final game.

Red mouthguards! Probably with blood capsules engineered into them (I'm not kidding about this, if they used steriods and other unethical methods in the past, what would keep them from doing that.)

The fact that fans booed them when they were "really" hurt can be attributed to the usual theatrics that these guys have been using in their homeland to draw penalties on their opponents. Perfect example of the old "The boy that cried 'Wolf!' story.

That Russian player who put his hand to his ear after scoring goals (he did it after scoring the penalty shot in opening game, and then again last night when he scored their 3rd goal) should be welcomed into North American professional hockey (if he's good enough to be brought over here) in the traditional "good old fashioned way," know what I mean.

When the game was still 3-2 for Russia, the US had some good pressure going, a shot and a rebound, then a Russian defenseman purposely dislodged the net to halt play and avoid a serious US follow up. Shortly afte this, the Russians scored to go ahead 4-2, which is certainly more reflective of the way this game was played, rather than that 7-2 score.

When Ovechkin sits on the Capitols' bench after his first period of his first game in DC (while the rest of his team goes in to the locker room), I hope he gets mugged, with no teammates around to come to his aid.

High marks to Sandy for his players' self restraint, not going "bananas" in response to the Russians' usportsmanlike behavior.

Has that referee ever heard of a penalty for unsportsmanlike behavior? I don't care if it was a USA player or Russian, they deserve to get at least 2 minutes, or maybe a 10 minute misconduct.

The Russian person dressed in coat and tie on the bench, who made "kissing jestures" toward the US player on the bench, and then pointed to the scoreboard should be banned from the bench. I can't believe he was part of the coaching staff, he probably was a "waterboy" or something like that. Still, it was classless.

I've always pulled for Canada in past tournaments, except when they played USA. I won't let a few knuckleheads from north of the border change how I feel about Canadians and their hockey. GO CANADA!

Everything Canuck has posted in this thread, or in any thread for that matter, is 100% accurate and true. American hockey fans and players have been totally schooled by the Canadian fans and players in this tournament. People around here call themselves "real hockey fans." It is apparent that they would rather laud themselves than prove it by actually going to the games and at least acting the part of a "real fan" whatever that may be.

As for me, I have not missed a game in Grand Forks. However, I am not a fan and have never professed to be one. Hockey for me is a cult thing. I need it to survive, but for all the wrong reasons. Frankly, I love all the chippy, dirty stuff. I am not into this, "OH, I love hockey for the beauty and the skating and the flow" yada, yada, yada. If you love pretty skating go watch Scott Hamilton.

The most fun I have had at these games was during the 3rd period of the Belarus/Slovak exhibition game in Grafton and at the end of last night's game when there was blood and teeth all over the ice. At least the Americans showed a bit of spirit but, of course, it was far too late.

Kessle and Stafford deserve A + grades for showing up and wanting to play hockey. The rest of Team USA, especially Suter and Montoya, had better find a back up job quickly because theya ren't going to cut it in pro hockey.

I have been cheering for Canada the entire time. The only possible reason I would want to see the russkies win would be to watch Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux cry their little eyes out.

Suter or Schremp will "balance the books" with Russian #8 some day. Mark it down.

Of course you cheer for the "land of back bacon and tuks" if the USA isn't in it. It's a North American thing.

The "hand to the ear" thing will be the new fad. OK Sioux fans, figure out a come-back. :silly:

#8 will get it someday in the NHL, but it certainly will not be by Suter as his NHL playing career doesn't look too promising at this point based upon his play in this tournament. As for Schremp, he certainly will make it in the NHL but I don't see him as a payback kind of guy. There are others much more skilled and meaner than #7 & 17 who know how to take care of Ovechkin.

Suter or Schremp will "balance the books" with Russian #8 some day. Mark it down.

Of course you cheer for the "land of back bacon and tuks" if the USA isn't in it. It's a North American thing.

The "hand to the ear" thing will be the new fad. OK Sioux fans, figure out a come-back. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the hand to the ear thing should get you an andy schneider-university of manitoba kid-like beatdown. closed circuit to team russia- you will get that opportunity to get beat down shortly----let's say tuesday--8ish. You do not show up the other team. you beat them in the corners, you beat them in front of the net, and you beat them on the scoreboard.

Siouxtatoo,

Beating Team USA on the ice in all aspects is precisely what the russkies did.  That game was over long before  all the empty netters and the amateurish antics began.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's exactly my point. the amateurish antics didn't need to be done. that's bush league. i hope Mr. Phaneuf unloads on 8-ball from russia, and Mr. Belle decides that enough is enough with Ovechkin and those two ass clowns find out exactly how the other half lives.

I agree. They don't need to do it. They play like men, but act like kids. Russkies just might be able to skate with the Canucks tomorrow night and, as you suggest, things could get very ugly if the russkies taunt the canucks and their fans. I can see them doing it. I doubt they're gonna change in a 48 hour period.

They deserve whatever they get if they continue their taunting activities. They remind me of Theo Fleury.

If I was an opposing player, I would also have some of those hot dogs on my short list. However, you have to pick the proper time and place. Say what you will about the antics of the Russians, but said antics were able to completely get the Americans off their game. They became so preoccupied with going out of their way to settle individual scores that they allowed a 3-2 and, at that point, winnable game to deteriorate into a laugher in a matter of half a period.

I've seen this all too often before with Canadian teams during international hockey. Because North American players thrive so much playing with passion and energy, sometimes those emotions get out of control. I've seen countless Canadian teams cost themselves games in the past because they became rattled by international officiating, which I'm sure we'd all agree is lousy at best.

The fine line in international hockey is channeling that energy toward winning the game, rather than turning the game into a three-ring circus. Thankfully this year's team doesn't appear to lack the maturity of some of our other teams over the years.

And I do agree, the Russian coach or official or whoever that was getting involved in the B.S. was bush league. It's one thing for a bunch of teenaged kids not being able to control their emtions; it's another story when a grown man is talking s#!^ with said teenaged player.

wish all of us Sioux fans (in the "NEW" ralph) could take a lesson or two from the 'hosers!!  They're great fans!! (maybe with a "little" less beer intake but that's a topic for another thread!)  They remind me of the Sioux crowd at the old ralph....TOTALLY LOYAL and not GIVING A DAMN WHAT ANYONE THINKS ABOUT IT!!! JUST SCREAM BABY!!!!!  (and maybe pull a dead gopher out of your coat and chuck it on the ice for good measure!)

I hear ya. Watching the Canada fans reminded me of the way hockey used to be at UND.

And bitch all you want about the big, bad Canadian fans (damn bullies!!!) making light of the U.S. loss to Belarus

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I don't know why people are upset by this. I think it's hilarious, and the first time I heard it I thought it was actually pretty clever. Every game I wish that the U.S. fans were more like the Canadian fans. They are passionate about hockey and they get into the game. Last night there were Canada fans that were trying to get the U.S. crowd into the game by chanting U.S.A! They would fit in well with college hockey with their constant taunting. (Although I have a feeling that the chanting of Montoya didn't come anywhere close to what he experiences when Michigan plays Michigan State.) I don't think they've been classless at all. In fact, I've had nothing but positive interactions with Canadian fans. And apparently I was booed on the jumbotron! I didn't even know it until Redwing informed me later between periods. :silly: That just made me laugh.

I have no problem saying "GO CANADA GO!"

#8 will get it someday in the NHL,  but it certainly will not be by Suter as his NHL playing career doesn't look too promising at this point based upon his play in this tournament.  As for Schremp, he certainly will make it in the NHL  but I don't see him as a payback kind of guy.  There are others much more skilled and meaner than #7 & 17 who know how to take care of Ovechkin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DEFENSEMEN SCORING LEADERS

As of 03.01.2005 / Including Game 26

(Ranked by highest PTS / highest G / lowest GP)

1 SUTER Ryan USA 6 1 6 7

Ya leading the tournament in scoring is really killing his future NHL career. :silly:

Suter has been the best player for team USA. He has logged the most minutes and played tough the entire tourny. If it wasn't for Phaneuf I would give him the nod as the best d-man in the tourny.

Last night there were Canada fans that were trying to get the U.S. crowd into the game by chanting U.S.A!  They would fit in well with college hockey with their constant taunting.  (Although I have a feeling that the chanting of Montoya didn't come anywhere close to what he experiences when Michigan plays Michigan State.)  I don't think they've been classless at all.  In fact, I've had nothing but positive interactions with Canadian fans.  And apparently I was booed on the jumbotron!  I didn't even know it until Redwing informed me later between periods.  :silly:  That just made me laugh.

I have no problem saying "GO CANADA GO!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Given what I know of Michigan-Michigan State, any sport, you're propaly right about that Forecheck. ;)

Suter the second best D in the tourney.What games have you been watching.Granted he has 7 points but how many points has he given up?USA didn't have a true defensive defenseman in the tourney and thats one reason we are playing for 3rd.He has a long way to go before he reaches the next level.Theres no doubt he has the talent,it's just going to take some time.

I was just talking with a couple of friends today that despite all of the negative ink surrounding Al Montoya throughout the tournament, my vote for Most Disappointing Player would go to Ryan Suter. Yes, he had some nice offensive "numbers," but he really seemed to struggle defensively and never seemed to display the kind of discipline needed in a captain. Really, Drew Stafford was the only consistent U.S. player throughout the tournament; the rest just showed flashes. I think Kessel's actual tournament-long performance is getting a bit exaggerated because of the one outstanding game he played. But we also must remember he, like Crosby, is still just 17 years old.

Heading into Tuesday night, I would have to say Dion Phaneuf has been far and away the best defenseman in the tournament. As of right now I see him and Belle or Weber on the all-tournament team, along with Bergeron, Ovechkin and either Richards or Malkin up front. However, it would not surprise me if Suter somehow ended up on the team alongside Phaneuf. His offensive numbers might cloud the judgement of some of the voters.