SiouxSports.com Forum

D-I titles by state

ethanm

Sports Illustrated's year-end issue has an interesting map of the US that shows D-I championships won (including I-A & I-AA football). North Dakota ranks ahead of 15 states and Washington, DC due to UND's seven hockey titles (Alaska is tied with ND). I think it's interesting that North Dakota, which until recently had only one D-I team, ranks ahead of so many states with multiple DI schools. For comparison, MN has 20 titles, WI 13, and MT 3. South Dakota and Mississippi are the only states without any titles, but at least, SD has an excuse. Since NDSU is D-I now, maybe someday they might help add to the state's total. :silly:

To be fair, the amount of quality competition in hockey is far less than traditional sports.

Alaska, for example, I'm guessing has titles in Rifle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He was just pointing out the facts, was not making any kind of argument or taking any kind of shots at NDSU. I am not quite sure why every thread created has to turn into a UND/NDSU thing. Get over it

He was just pointing out the facts, was not making any kind of argument or taking any kind of shots at NDSU. I am not quite sure why every thread created has to turn into a UND/NDSU thing. Get over it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do not pose a question like that if you wish to avoid a discussion of possible answers to said question ;):silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent point. I hate it how our Bison friends turn everything into a UND/NDSU discussion when it has little or no bearing on what is going on. Alaska may have titles in Rifle, but that goes for every state. Volleyball, soccer, floor hockey, table tennis, etc, etc, etc. (normal people will get the point minus certain people like bisonfan0123 who have an inadequate IQ-here, i'll clear it up for you, every sport the NCAA sponsors has [far less] competition than other sports)....

To be fair, the amount of quality competition in hockey is far less than traditional sports.

Alaska, for example, I'm guessing has titles in Rifle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure 'SU will soon be racking up D-1 titles in every sport bringing NoDak untold glory ... just as soon as Satan's wearing a mink coat. :silly:

Alaska's titles are rifle titles. And I was not trying to start any UND/NDSU argument. I just think that North Dakota ranking ahead of so many states is impressive despite having had only one D-I team until UND added women's hockey and NDSU's move up. Washington and South Carolina both have less titles than ND. Iowa has 40 titles but 30 of these are because of wrestling.

Bisonfan, I also don't understand your comment on hockey not being a "traditional sport". What does that mean? If you're referring to the number of teams in a particular sport, hockey is not alone with a low number of teams. Wrestling has about 85. The quality of competition can't be that bad when college hockey sends hall of fame caliber players to the NHL.

Since I mentioned hall of famers in my last post, the SI issue also lists Hall of Famers by state/province. I found it surprising that there are only seven US players in the Hall. There are more non-North Americans enshrined with 11. Ontario has 114 which is more than triple what any US state has enshrined in any one sport.