SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey Music

cfm567b27

I think the most of the music at the Ralph and the timing of it sucks. A couple times last night the crowd was just starting the USA chant and they start playing that horrible song. I dont know the name of it but it goes like this "Shout, shout, let it all out" That song SUCKs. It sucked in 1982 and it still sucks in 2004.

I think the most of the music at the Ralph  and the timing of it sucks.  A couple times last night the crowd was just starting the USA chant and they start playing that horrible song.  I dont know the name of it but it goes like this "Shout, shout, let it all out"  That song SUCKs.  It sucked in 1982 and it still sucks in 2004.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be Tears for Fears "Shout"

An oddball idea but I think some of the students would love it if they did something with the intro music from GTA: San Andreas. :0

I don't have too much of a problem with the music. Although I would prefer the stripped down atmosphere of ye olde ralph.

What I do have a problem with is all the crap that has no business at a hockey game. Dave Matthews has no business at a hockey game. :0 I don't care if you like him as an artist, it is hardly motivational music. There are others too.

I also don't like games and things during the periods for the fans, that take away from the play on the ice. Like dance contests or clothes changing contests...Keep them in intermissions. The crowd at REA has enough trouble getting into non-explosive games.

I don't rant so often, but we can call it the Airing of Grievances...part of the miracle that is Festivus!! Those of you who know what it is understand. :D

I don't have too much of a problem with the music.  Although I would prefer the stripped down atmosphere of ye olde ralph. 

What I do have a problem with is all the crap that has no business at a hockey game.  Dave Matthews has no business at a hockey game.  :0 I don't care if you like him as an artist, it is hardly motivational music.  There are others too.

I also don't like games and things during the periods for the fans, that take away from the play on the ice.  Like dance contests or clothes changing contests...Keep them in intermissions.  The crowd at REA has enough trouble getting into non-explosive games.

I don't rant so often, but we can call it the Airing of Grievances...part of the miracle that is Festivus!!  Those of you who know what it is understand.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did'nt think I was going to have to try and defend Dave Matthews on here again. When you say it's hardly motivational music, who is it exactly the people playing the music at the REA are trying to motivate ? The players ? The fans ? Themselves ? The REA staff ? To be honest with you, if I'm paying good $$$ to go see a hockey game, and going to the REA to see it, whether it's the Sioux or USA or whomever, I don't need good motivational music in the background for me to enjoy myself. The players probably don't need it either, they should be jacked up enough, playing before 15,000 people, in a beautiful arena, playing the game they love, and playing for one of, if not the best, D1 hockey program in the country. If they're sitting on the bench thinking how much they can't stand hearing Dave Matthews over the loudspeakers, then I am mistaken. I agree there are points in a game when a little loud music get's the crowd jacked up at crucial times, power play late in the game, 6 on 5, anytime after a goal. But hearing a little Dave Matthews in between a face off, allows me to think happy thoughts, and be thankful to be an American, and to be able to enjoy my freedom, and watch hockey, great hockey, and doggonit, I like DMB alot, so there. Yeah, I know it all sounds corny, but if you smiled once while reading this, well mission accomplished. :D

6 on 5, anytime after a goal. But hearing a little Dave Matthews in between a face off, allows me to think happy thoughts, and be thankful to be an American, and to be able to enjoy my freedom, and watch hockey, great hockey, and doggonit, I like DMB alot, so there. Yeah, I know it all sounds corny, but if you smiled once while reading this, well mission accomplished. :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

6 on 5?

Yeah, when a team pulls its' goalie and then it becomes a 6 on 5 or in some cases when on the powerplay it could be a 6 on 4.....making any sense yet ? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm beinging to think Timmy here isn't the Hockey fan he claims to be. That, or they really have a crappy Hockey program down there at that Division 1 School in Fargo. ;);):0

give me a break.. it's not about having the fans sitting there thinking happy thoughts about being an american. you shouldn't need music to think that. the loud music is to get the fans jacked up to create some kind of atmosphere in the rink (which the new REA obviously lacks because they are playing dave matthews, among other crappy lovefest songs). That jacked up atmosphere leads to the players getting a boost of adrenaline knowing that the fans are behind them and into the game, giving them a little a spark. it's not about you sitting with a goofy grin on your face cuz you farted and nobody around you knows it's you :0 . fans forget that they are at the game to be entertained by the game itself. not by what's going on with (although very nice on the eyes) katie o'keefe in section 110 talking at the top of her lungs with the mic in her mouth. it is about the game and all facets of the game of hockey. when people realize that just because they bought the ticket, it doesn't mean they are entitled to all the excess BS in order to be entertained, you will start to see the atmosphere at the ralph once again become part of the game and they won't need the loud ass music to get the "fans" into it.

Sioux fans and Team USA fans could learn something from Team Canada fans. Even though they didn't fill the Ralph for Monday's game with Sweden, they were LOUD! They might have been louder than any packed house I've seen for a Sioux game.

The Canadian fans had coordinated cheers -- none of which were obscene (as far as I could tell). When they cheered, it was deafening. (The booing of every penalty on a Canadian player got a bit old, however.) They wore their team's colors to create a sea of red. They painted their faces. They carried signs. They wore costumes. They sang their national anthem with gusto. And they continued to cheer their team well after the game ended. It was one of the most impressive displays of fan support that I've ever seen.

Apparently someone forgot to tell the Canadian hockey fans about the "bad atmosphere" at the Ralph. Maybe they're not as easily distracted by shiny objects as some American fans. Maybe they just know a lot more about hockey.

Whatever the case, the lesson is clear: The atmosphere at the Ralph is what the fans make it. There's no point in blaming it on somone or something else. The Canadians proved that wherever they go, they bring their "atmosphere" with them. Watch, listen and learn, Sioux fans.

Exactly and when half the Sioux fan spend more time bitching about people instead of watching the game or cheering, there isn't going to be much atmosphere. The Canadians did do the wave yesterday too though, that's a major negative. :0

The Canadian game yesterday was exciting, while for the most part the USA game wasn't. The Canadians played really well, the Americans played pretty badly. That's another reason for the difference in noise.

Sioux fans and Team USA fans could learn something from Team Canada fans. Even though they didn't fill the Ralph for Monday's game with Sweden, they were LOUD! They might have been louder than any packed house I've seen for a Sioux game.

The Canadian fans had coordinated cheers -- none of which were obscene (as far as I could tell). When they cheered, it was deafening. (The booing of every penalty on a Canadian player got a bit old, however.) They wore their team's colors to create a sea of red. They painted their faces. They carried signs. They wore costumes. They sang their national anthem with gusto. And they continued to cheer their team well after the game ended. It was one of the most impressive displays of fan support that I've ever seen.

Apparently someone forgot to tell the Canadian hockey fans about the "bad atmosphere" at the Ralph. Maybe they're not as easily distracted by shiny objects as some American fans. Maybe they just know a lot more about hockey.

Whatever the case, the lesson is clear: The atmosphere at the Ralph is what the fans make it. There's no point in blaming it on somone or something else. The Canadians proved that wherever they go, they bring their "atmosphere" with them. Watch, listen and learn, Sioux fans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree 100% with you. remember how at the old ralph, 4000 people were loud, you didn't get in trouble for standing, and you could be an active fan. now if you are like that, jane and judy noseintheair go get security and tattle on you for standing up and blocking their conversation. i beg of sioux fans to go to the game, throw professional image out the window, bring a kid, and watch the game like a canadian. i was at that game yesterday afternoon, and that was one of the best games i've seen in a long while. those were also some of the best fans i've seen in a long while. go USA!!! go SIOUX!!!

Gotta share this......I got a couple of glares from a woman seated in the suite behind me during the Gopher series (she had on a Gopher sweatshirt I might add). I'm in Section 107 Row R (right in front of the suites). She didn't glare at me any more after I respectfully told her if she didn't like my "fan participation" she could go back to the dump they call Mariucci and grab some cold nachos while standing on the sticky concourse flooring. That pretty much ended the glaring the rest of the weekend. :0

give me a break.. it's not about having the fans sitting there thinking happy thoughts about being an american. you shouldn't need music to think that. the loud music is to get the fans jacked up to create some kind of atmosphere in the rink (which the new REA obviously lacks because they are playing dave matthews, among other crappy lovefest songs). That jacked up atmosphere leads to the players getting a boost of adrenaline knowing that the fans are behind them and into the game, giving them a little a spark. it's not about you sitting with a goofy grin on your face cuz you farted and nobody around you knows it's you :silly: . fans forget that they are at the game to be entertained by the game itself. not by what's going on with (although very nice on the eyes) katie o'keefe in section 110 talking at the top of her lungs with the mic in her mouth. it is about the game and all facets of the game of hockey. when people realize that just because they bought the ticket, it doesn't mean they are entitled to all the excess BS in order to be entertained, you will start to see the atmosphere at the ralph once again become part of the game and they won't need the loud ass music to get the "fans" into it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, you basically reiterated what I said, in a round about way. Your trying to say that, having the loud rock music get's the crowd jacked up and getting them behind the fans. I was saying that if you know hockey, and appreciate the game, you don't need the music do that. The ever so knowledgeable and diehard hockey fans we hear about up in GF can't get jacked up and behind it's team without music ? That's pretty lame if you ask me. So if the season ticket holders will get off their rusty dustys and shout a little bit, we won't need to hear anything loud or annoying over the loudspeakers. And when earlier referring to a 6 on 4 powerplay, that was still in reference to the goalie being pulled, geez tough crowd around here. So when ya'll type these things up, do you proofread them 10 times to make sure you didn't say anyting stupid that someone is going to for sure catch, then have to reply to just to show you up ? So I'm still diggin' the crappy lovefest songs. Bring it !!! ;)

You know, you basically reiterated what I said, in a round about way. Your trying to say that, having the loud rock music get's the crowd jacked up and getting them behind the fans. I was saying that if you know hockey, and appreciate the game, you don't need the music do that. The ever so knowledgeable and diehard hockey fans we hear about up in GF can't get jacked up and behind it's team without music ? That's pretty lame if you ask me. So if the season ticket holders will get off their rusty dustys and shout a little bit, we won't need to hear anything loud or annoying over the loudspeakers. And when earlier referring to a 6 on 4 powerplay, that was still in reference to the goalie being pulled, geez tough crowd around here. So when ya'll type these things up, do you proofread them 10 times to make sure you didn't say anyting stupid that someone is going to for sure catch, then have to reply to just to show you up ? So I'm still diggin' the crappy lovefest songs. Bring it !!! ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kind of ironic that it's me replying to this thing first....I meant to say getting them behind the players....not the fans....such an idiot. :D