SiouxSports.com Forum

Troubled Sports fan...

TinyTimmay

There was a thread recently where someone (the Sicatoka?) listed the scheduling formula.  Couldn't say which thread it was off hand.  I do think it was the Sicatoka though.  Maybe you could search his posts.  I think it was within the last month.

Merry Christmas. (This is all you are getting.)

Rivals Scheduling

Rivals scheduling in a nutshell (and it was developed by none other than Don Lucia):

This approach began in 2002-2003. Each team has a "rival". You play them four times per season (2H/2A).

Of each other rival pair you play one half of the pair for four games (2H/2A) and the other half you only play two games against (either H or A). There's one other thing: You play two of the "two games only" teams at home and two on the road.

All that gets you to a 28 game schedule: four with rival, six with each of four other rivals pairing.

This year's UND schedule:

SCSU: H & A (rival)

UM: H

UW: H & A

UMD: A

MSU-Mankato: H & A

DU: H

CC: H & A

MTU: A

UAA: H & A

(These two are scheduling rivals because of travel concerns, namely the toughest places to get to.)

Last year (2003-2004) it was:

SCSU H/A; UM H/A; UW A; UMD H/A; MSU-M A; DU H/A; CC H; MTU H/A; UAA H

2002-2003:

SCSU H/A; UM A; UW H/A; UMD H; MSU-M H/A; DU A; CC H/A; MTU H; UAA H/A (Remember when UM didn't come to Grand Forks?)

There's a bigger "rotation" to the whole scheduling process as well. In the 2002-2003 season UND/UM was two games at UM, last year it was four, this year it's two at UND, next year, well, you can figure it out. 

Heck, I'll take a swing at predicting UND's 2005-2006 schedule right now:

H & A: SCSU, UM, UMD, DU, MTU

Home only: UW, MSU-Mankato

Away only: CC, UAA

Well, thanks for welcoming me into the fold of Sioux (hockey) fans. I went up to the Duluth series last weekend, and had a great time cheering on the green. Had my $2 Walmart broom taken away from me by an usher on Saturday night, but didn't end up needing it anyway. Another thing ya'll might kind of get a kick out of is the fact that last year, I walked into a Scheels, and into the UND section of apparel and purchased a UND Fighting Sioux sweatshirt. You would not believe how big of a deal that was for me, being a Bison fan to the core. I one time actually bought a Sioux cap, just so I could turn around and deface it at a Bison/Sioux game at old Memorial stadium. But anyway, nice to see the positive responses on my last post, and I'll be sure to not push my luck with any more Bison talk, since this is a UND Hockey sight !!!! Go Sioux !!!! ;)

To the guy who asked about the Sioux playing michigan. U of M and Mich state have the same non confrence games every year. They play Minn and Wisconsin in the border battle and the Great Lakes Invitational and the only way to play them 2 schools during regular season would to be in the GLI. I would LOVE to watch a series vs. U of Mich.

UND has no scheduled games in Michigan this year, but could end up playing the West regions in Grand Rapids on March 25-26. That wouldn't be a bad thing and if that heppens they will need all the fans they can get to cheer them on.

To the New fan in Jersey when the NHL starts up goto a Devils Game and watch Zack Parise and Davis Hale 2 of our alums with more coming soon(Zajac), hopefully later. Talk to Devils fans and act like you have the inside scoop. Parise is going to be great and Zajac wont be for behind.

• 1 month later...

I know this is another dumb question, but I am still new to hockey. I have been religiously watching hockey games this year on FSSN and attending them at REA but I want to know why I have never seen a penalty shot. I heard them talking about possible penalty shots during the World Juniors but never saw one. Is this something that is just very rare or is it not used in college hockey?

A penalty shot is very rare. I am not an officiating rules expert, but this penalty is only called if a player is on a break away and is in the motion of shoting, from a position with high potential of scoring, and is interfered with from behind by a defending player. Usually the penalty is just called for tripping, hooking, or interference, because the player most often did not have a high chance of scoring.

Someone may have a more official definition for you.

I know this is another dumb question, but I am still new to hockey.  I have been religiously watching hockey games this year on FSSN and attending them at REA but I want to know why I have never seen a penalty shot.  I heard them talking about possible penalty shots during the World Juniors but never saw one.  Is this something that is just very rare or is it not used in college hockey?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you had a chance to get out to the Russia vs USA game on Christmas night. I do believe Russia's second goal came off a penalty shot. That's when the kid motioned to the then quiet crowd with his hand up to his ear. Wasn't able to see what his reaction was to the USA National Anthem being played at the end, signifying a 5-4 USA win. :lol:

A penalty shot is very rare.  I am not an officiating rules expert, but this penalty is only called if a player is on a break away and is in the motion of shoting, from a position with high potential of scoring, and is interfered with from behind by a defending player.  Usually the penalty is just called for tripping, hooking, or interference, because the player most often did not have a high chance of scoring.

Someone may have a more official definition for you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

a penalty shot can also be awarded if the defensive team knocks the net off intentionally during play --officials discretion on probability of offense being able to score. can also be called if a defensive player other than the goalie covers the puck in the crease to stop play.

I have had the good fortune to follow Fighting Sioux Hockey since November, 1964. My most earliest memory is seeing Wolverine blood on the ice at the old Barn, on a Saturday night. That was the good ole days when I believe Michigan was still in our conference. I also remember watching playoff games in the spring, and because it was so warm outside, there would be a fog on the ice and the players would look like ghosts skating in and out of the fog.

There was something about it being 10 degrees outside, and 20 below inside the barn that made watching a game so special...I also miss the hot Dr. Pepper they used serve in an 8 oz. styrofoam cup with a lemon on the side.

I am grateful to be able to follow the tradition of Fighting Sioux Hockey :lol:

last season in november i was in denver for the series and i believe parise was in net. the puck was loose right in front of the net and one of the sioux players fell on the puck and intentionlly froze the puck in the crease maybe with his hand. they called a penalty shot and parise stoned him. it was great, the whole place was on their feet. the only one i have seen at a sioux game or ever!!