SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU Bison to play HOCKEY!

Riverman

adding club hockey is very cheap compared to d1 hockey and ndsu always had club hockey up to about 4-5 yrs ago. so its not a big deal and if it leads to d1 hockey in like 20 yrs so be it if not who cares its just adding a sport nonscholarship and not really funded a whole lot.i just dont understand how adding club hockey being this has been in the plans for a while automatically means that ndsu is lookin at d1 hockey right away just because of the big sky not working out. i just dont understand?????? :angry:

adding club hockey is very cheap compared to d1 hockey and ndsu always had club hockey up to about 4-5 yrs ago. so its not a big deal and if it leads to d1 hockey in like 20 yrs so be it if not who cares its just adding a sport nonscholarship and not really funded a whole lot.i just dont understand how adding club hockey being this has been in the plans for a while automatically means that ndsu is lookin at d1 hockey right away just because of the big sky not working out. i just dont understand?;)?? ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ndsu's BRIEF window of opportunity with DI hockey died back in the mid-90's when they were floating the proposal - The WCHA told them in no uncertain terms they wouldn't be an "automatic" addition to the league just BECAUSE of their geography and then Fargo voters overwhelmingly turned down a sales tax increase to build a new hockey arena next to the fargobarn (about 65-35 if I recall right). POOFF!! Rejection by an established league back then popped their aura of "but WE'RE ndsu!! ;)" - how ironic ten years later the Big Sky would take a page from the WCHA's book! 'su will forever be a fb school and for the forseeable future, a mediocre fb school without a real home.

ndsu's BRIEF window of opportunity with DI hockey died back in the mid-90's when they were floating the proposal - The WCHA told them in no uncertain terms they wouldn't be an "automatic" addition to the league just BECAUSE of their geography and then Fargo voters overwhelmingly turned down a sales tax increase to build a new hockey arena next to the fargobarn (about 65-35 if I recall right). POOFF!! Rejection by an established league back then popped their aura of "but WE'RE ndsu!! ;)" - how ironic ten years later the Big Sky would take a page from the WCHA's book! 'su will forever be a fb school and for the forseeable future, a mediocre fb school without a real home.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The most recent push for an arena and D-1 hockey was during UND's 2000 championship run. (coincidence? I think not). This is most likely what triggered the going D-1 across the board talk.

The most recent push for an arena and D-1 hockey was during UND's 2000 championship run. (coincidence? I think not). This is most likely what triggered the going D-1 across the board talk.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah - I'm vague on when that vote took place. Thought it was about '96 or '97 but whatever. I do think you're right about the DI talk (yeah - they'll say they've been planning it for 20 years but the REAL PUSH came when they started seeing the writing on the wall) UND was overtaking their "prominence" with success and facilities. They HAD to do something - turned out DI hockey didn't fly in the "metro" so they cranked up the heat to do the College equivalent of Thelma and Louise....they drove over the all-sports DI (except football which is di-aa) CLIFF!!! Question is when will they hit bottom???