SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS DULUTH GAME THREAD

AZSIOUX

wow, I went out to do some work, and all of a sudden it's 3-3.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't hear the whole game, since I'm at work.

PCM, I have known you to be pretty even-handed in your analysis in the past, but there were also several non-calls that went your way for cross-checks behind the play, and a tripping penalty that should have been called (again I only stepped in and out for the first and third period).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought I made it fairly clear that I was listening to the game while at work. Anyway, I will be the first person to admit that this Dogs team is seriously lacking in discipline. The after-the-whistle stuff is inexcusable, and we are continually putting ourselves in shorthanded situations, which is part of the reason for our 8-8-2 overall record. The only way to tell how much s&!t is going on behind the play is to be at the game. Seeing it on TV doesn't give you the full picture, and radio announcers are inevitably biased. So take my posts with a grain of salt, because I am getting my info from KDAL, and Kerry Rodd...(unfortunately) not from a seat at the DECC. Here's to you putting up a 10-spot against Canisius next weekend. ???

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, like PCM. have seen little or no change in this team since early season. They continue to make defensive lapses. The one that is most disturbing is when Jones and Greene (our two best defensemen?) continue to hurt the team with undisciplined play. The undressing of Bina was another example of how this team does not play the basics.

What's even worse is that I just did the WCHA What If calculator and I have us finishing 6th. The way this team has played so far I have them getting swept at CC. The rest of the games I have them splitting. To truly be a force this team would need to do the following to show they could go anywhere in the playoffs:

Sweep Canisius at home

Sweep Mankato at home

Split at Colorado College on the road

Sweep Denver at home

Sweep Alaska on the road

Sweep Wisconsin at home

Sweep or split with St. Cloud on the road.

Realisitcally I can't see this team doing this. Terrible Power Play, Undisciplined defensive play, and continuing to take stupid penalties. The only facet of the game that seems fairly stable right now is the goaltending. I expect an occasional goal to get missed but in general Parise and Lammy have done their job.

To be honest this team seems slow. Watching Peluso and Scwabe buzz around the net while we chase them is pretty discouraging. Oh well I'll be at the games rooting them on hoping that we see a change and that my assessment is completely wrong.

I, like PCM. have seen little or no change in this team since early season. They continue to make defensive lapses. The one that is most disturbing is when Jones and Greene (our two best defensemen?) continue to hurt the team with undisciplined play. The undressing of Bina was another example of how this team does not play the basics.

What's even worse is that I just did the WCHA What If calculator and I have us finishing 6th. The way this team has played so far I have them getting swept at CC. The rest of the games I have them splitting. To truly be a force this team would need to do the following to show they could go anywhere in the playoffs:

Sweep Canisius at home

Sweep Mankato at home

Split at Colorado College on the road

Sweep Denver at home

Sweep Alaska on the road

Sweep Wisconsin at home

Sweep or split  with St. Cloud on the road.

Realisitcally I can't see this team doing this. Terrible Power Play, Undisciplined defensive play, and continuing to take stupid penalties. The only facet of the game that seems fairly stable right now is the goaltending. I expect an occasional goal to get missed but in general Parise and Lammy have done their job.

To be honest this team seems slow. Watching Peluso and Scwabe buzz around the net while we chase them is pretty discouraging. Oh well I'll be at the games rooting them on hoping that we see a change and that my assessment is completely wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't see this being the case. I think we can split CC and sweep SCSU. However, I don't think we can sweep Denver or Wisconsin.

The good news, so to speak, is that Denver had to cope with road games the entire playoffs last season and did well... I'm not so sure we can pull this off anyways. I'd settle for NCAA Quarterfinalists this season. We won't make the FF.

Tough crowd here this weekend. The Sioux must have had their ugly masks on, because while I didn't see the games, I listened to some of them and it didn't sound as bad to me as it apparently looked.

Missed opportunities stink, but comparing the result to my expectations going into the weekend, I think it was a good weekend. Great performance Friday, and a close loss on the road against a desperate team Saturday. I guess it depends on how good Duluth really is. If they are in fact a good team, then splitting at their rink isn't so bad.

Here are the blemishes on this year's record:

T 2 @ Minnesota State 2 ot

L 0 Minnesota 6

L 3 @ Boston College (nc) 5

T 3 @ Northeastern (nc) 3 ot

L 2 Colorado College 3 ot

L 0 @ Wisconsin 1

L 2 @ Wisconsin 5

L 1 Alaska-Anchorage 2

L 3 @ Minnesota-Duluth 4

Since getting drilled by MN, they haven't lost by more than 1 goal (excluding empty-netters). I know they don't give style points, and there are no moral victories, but it's not like this team is far from being very good. Of the results above, the ones I would want back are:

Northeastern - the game was basically in control and the score could have been much worse, and NE got a bounce on a PP and suddenly they were back in the game.

CC Friday - I attended this game and still can't believe the Sioux lost. Shots mid-way through the third were 32-13, and suddenly CC was back in the game with a goal on the next rush up the ice.

Wisconsin - My understanding without seeing the games was that play was generally even throughout the weekend. You would hope to come home with some points if that were the case.

UAA Saturday - Outshoot 'em 2-to-1, you should win.

------------------------

I don't see them going on the run Stack thinks is necessary, but I don't see that as completely necessary to still do well by the end of the year.

Positives for me are:

- Development of a killer line, as Murray, Stafford and Zajac are starting to click.

- With the exception of the last game, the team has begun to limit opposition shots. After being consistently outshot, UND is now regularly outshooting opponents.

- Consistently good goaltending.

It is like we are professional wrestling. ??? I think there is a big problem with people making statements about a game that they did not see. If someone is only getting information from a friend, radio announcers, etc., they need to state that when making big claims about a game. Of course, that is just my opinion. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't think quoting the game stats was a big claim.

Is your point that the Sioux, even though they came up with fewer PIM and more PP than the 'Dogs, they still got hosed because they should have taken even fewer penalties?

Also, I enjoy running my mouth off and writing checks my ass can't cash, but I also have a sense of humor about these things. Which you seem to, also. :)

I am hoping we will not have to face the Sioux again (in NCAAs or Final Five action) so we can all go back to hating Bucky and singing Kum By Ah. :angry:

If I'm not mistaken, Jordan's penaltly happened at home vs. St. Cloud?? Either a hooking or tripping call as I recall....Someone with the games on tape or tivo chime in here. I'm pretty sure it was SCSU.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your mistaken ??? it was a slashing penalty against Michigan Tech.