SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (5-3) @ #23 Iowa State (5-1) 11/30 7PM

SWSiouxMN

10 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Omot was off tonight. Defense looks sound for most part. 

The big picture takeaway is your second sentance.   The improvement on that part of the team is legit and it isn't just with the insertion of Trent.  Is it a finished product on that end of the ball? No, there is still more to be done but steps are being taking in the right direction.

Still have to remember that Omot is a freshman and will play like one from time to time.  I'm not too worried about him. 

35 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Interesting game last night and interesting dynamic to watch on this team going forward.

1. PG position- to me the obvious choice is Trent, but man he does a lot of doy doy things offensively... Coach Sather also has a pretty quick hook on him right now.. but man can he change a game on the defensive end. Be more aggressive and score at the rim!!!

2. It looks like we have a 3 man rotation setting up at the 5 spot. T, Brian, and Mitch. If Mitch could hit a 3 with any consistency this would be great.. Last night he should have been able to get wide open looks at the top of the key and spread out 5's, but he can't hit a shot right now. Brian is bringing great energy on the defensive end, but leaves a lot to be desired when he has the ball in his hands. T is showing improvement which is great to see.

3. Rotation questions going forward are going to be interesting... who loses minutes???? If I had a vote, starters would be Trent, Norman, Omot, Levias, T- Bench would be Brian or Mitch at 5 depending on matchups, brooks, danielson, and eaglestaff..

1) Trent really needs to start looking to score because the book is out that he will look to pass first (I never thought I would complain about a pass first PG), and teams will just clog the passing lanes.  Even if he could perfect a 10 foot jump shot in the middle of the paint, that alone with open things up.   He really does bring it on the defensive side of the basketball and it is rubbing off on the team.  

2) T is getting better and it is good to see that improvement.  He does seem to still get pushed around in the post a little bit but compare to last year, he is a different player. Would love to see more of the CS-Fullerton version of T on a nightly basis That's the tough thing about Mathews, if he wasn't healing up from his back injury over the summer he might have been able to work on his offensive side more. It sucks because he does have a few good moves in the post that he can perform. I think an offseason where he spends training and not rehabbing will be wonders for him.  He probably is the best post defender that we have.  He is starting to move a lot better than he did in the beginning of the season.  Wonder if Sueker is just overthinking things a little bit.

3) I like the starting lineup as is right now and they should run with it.  The one issue I have is how they will rebound against a taller lineup (see NDSU) in the frontcourt.   That is going to be tough to go from 11 players to 8-9 regulars and the other getting a few minutes.  Of course other things can help solve this issue (although we don't want that).  Nice to have this problem instead of the other one we had last year.   Everyone needs to be ready because you don't know when your number gets called and a good performance here or there could mean more time (see Levias).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SD UND said:

Interesting game last night and interesting dynamic to watch on this team going forward.

1. PG position- to me the obvious choice is Trent, but man he does a lot of doy doy things offensively... Coach Sather also has a pretty quick hook on him right now.. but man can he change a game on the defensive end. Be more aggressive and score at the rim!!!

2. It looks like we have a 3 man rotation setting up at the 5 spot. T, Brian, and Mitch. If Mitch could hit a 3 with any consistency this would be great.. Last night he should have been able to get wide open looks at the top of the key and spread out 5's, but he can't hit a shot right now. Brian is bringing great energy on the defensive end, but leaves a lot to be desired when he has the ball in his hands. T is showing improvement which is great to see.

3. Rotation questions going forward are going to be interesting... who loses minutes???? If I had a vote, starters would be Trent, Norman, Omot, Levias, T- Bench would be Brian or Mitch at 5 depending on matchups, brooks, danielson, and eaglestaff..

Agree completely.

1. Trent doesn't even necessarily need to shoot the 3, although it would help, since he has Norman, Omot, Levias, and TT that all can be a threat from 3 and to score the ball. But he does need to look to get his own more. Scoring at the rim, a floater once he gets in the paint. Just something to keep the defense honest. The offense flows so much better when he is running the point and his defense is great.

2. TT has been much improved this year and that is good to see. I like his ability to pop and shoot the 3 ball. Opens up so many things for other guys to drive and cut to the hoop. Especially with Levias at the 4 I love how open the spacing is. A lot different compared to last year. Brian still doesn't move right, but it is a lot better than the start of the year. I hope he continues to gain confidence on the offensive side of the ball. When he is patient and doesn't rush he actually has some good moves in the post. Just needs to keep developing that as the year moves on. I like those 2 in at the five over Sueker in my opinion. 

3. I like the starters we currently have. It is a smaller lineup so may have trouble with teams with size but I think it gives UND the best chance to win games. Bench should be Brian, Brooks, Eaglestaff, and Danielson in my opinion. It's tough because Brian, Brooks, and Danielson don't bring a whole lot of offense off the bench so the only guy to do that would be Eaglestaff. If only Brooks was more aggressive on offense because his defense is right up there with Trent. 

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i think we could have actually won this game if....

1. sather shortened his bench for this game

2. sather had any clue how to run an in bounds play in the offensive zone

You're right, it's coach Sather's fault that they didn't beat the team that just got done beating the #1 team in the country. Bad coach.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SD UND said:

You're right, it's coach Sather's fault that they didn't beat the team that just got done beating the #1 team in the country. Bad coach.

did you watch the game?  i don't think i've seen that many bad bad inbounding throws since  i went to the ymca last week.....

we could've won this game

6 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

did you watch the game?  i don't think i've seen that many bad bad inbounding throws since  i went to the ymca last week.....

We weren't going to win that game. However, our inbounds plays are atrocious. The goal of the team inbounding is to try set up a play to get an easy bucket at the hoop or an open shot. We get neither of those. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Yes, I watched the game. Inbounds plays were not the reason why they lost the game... and it wouldn't have been the reason they won the game if it had gone differently.

If you think that this UND team, without any all conference players, picked 10th in the Summit league, is going to go on the road and beat the #23 team in the country, than I think you're probably never going to be happy watching UND basketball.

2 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

I think this was a winnable game. I wasn’t that impressed with Iowa state tbh. I also don’t think we played that well so it’s kinda a wash. I think it was good to see a defense like that. Could be very beneficial as the season moves along 

yeah we were hanging with them...but every damn time we had an inbounds plays under our hoops it ended in either a 5 second call, a turnover, or a bad possesiion bc the ball has in the corner....throw the damn ball to mid court if you have to.

fund game to watch tho...was hoping for a victory

what's up with mitch tho...he is too good to be playing like this

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

yeah we were hanging with them...but every damn time we had an inbounds plays under our hoops it ended in either a 5 second call, a turnover, or a bad possesiion bc the ball has in the corner....throw the damn ball to mid court if you have to.

fund game to watch tho...was hoping for a victory

what's up with mitch tho...he is too good to be playing like this

A couple of those inbound plays I noticed we had Nero throwing it in while they had their 6’10” long, center on ball. I would rather have BJ or Lavias have the ball there to have more size and Nero just isn’t great at passing the ball. 
I have no idea what is up with Mitch. Thought he might be the best player watching the exhibition. Seems to have lost all confidence. He air balled that shot from the corner by a good 5 feet. They we trapping the pick n roll and leaving the short roll open. He would be the perfect player for that. He scored once off of it but after that wasn’t much of a factor 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

If UND had hit a few more shots in the first half, especially from 3, that might have made things interesting.

Two dry spells in the 2nd half doomed them.

Giving up so many offensive rebounds in the first half killed us as well. Two of them I can remember turned into kick out wide open 3's for Grill that he drained. If we don't give up as many O-boards I think we could have been up 6+ at the half. Who knows how the game turns out if that were the case. 

Just now, HoopsFan03 said:

Giving up so many offensive rebounds in the first half killed us as well. Two of them I can remember turned into kick out wide open 3's for Grill that he drained. If we don't give up as many O-boards I think we could have been up 6+ at the half. Who knows how the game turns out if that were the case. 

They had 18 second chance points in the game. That is a big #. (And yes I understand that they had the significant size and athletic advantage, just pointing out that the game could have been a lot more interesting if we were able to keep that # lower.)