SiouxSports.com Forum

Greene's Stupid Penalty Record

shep

Matt Greene must by now have the season record for stupid penalties.

The ONLY question I have about Hakstol as coach thus far is when is he going to sit Greene's butt for a game to try to instill some discipline into him.

The Sioux had momentum last night and then with two minutes to play he grabs a guy who DIDN'T EVEN HAVE THE PUCK!!!

Bench him, now!!!

shep,

Welcome to the club.  I wondered this last season, yet everyone RAVED about Matt Greene and ohmygosh, how horrible it would be if he signed with Edmonton.  Where are those folks now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The irony is that his size and mugging style will probably get him a decent NHL contract if they ever have an NHL season.

Yes, I'm with you...Edmonton can have him now, and I don't care who has to step in on the blueline.

I attended the Saturday game in Mankato, shep. About 20 seconds into the game, Greene body slams a guy into the boards and earns himself a 2:00 minor. Later in the game with the team already short-handed, he hauls down a Maverick player to put the team down two men. With about 2:30 left in a one-goal game and Mankato on the power play, Greene cross-checks a Mankato player putting the team down two men. On his way to the box, I yelled out "Hey Greene, don't forget to pack your brain on the next road trip."

You're right about that contract, though. I wonder if Greene is hoping that Edmonton takes notice that he's going to be the team 4th line enforcer. I honestly don't have a clue what's in that guy's head.

Yes the forwards are really doing the job getting out shot and out scored every game...

I think that Greene is not a good passer or skater for this league.

He struggles in open ice. I think Sioux would be better off with someone who is not so selfish...

He doesn't seem to care about the team or the consequences of his momentum stopping penalties...

I think the highly touted young forwards better toughen up and get something done. The first and almost only goal of the weekend was pretty greasy.

I don't think the forwards have been able to get anything going on a consistant basis.

Rory McMahon has played well in the games that I have seen.

P.L. and Jordie Parise are solid in the nets. I think the forwards need to get hungry and bring some sustained forechecking and shots...

Greene has a history of stupid penalties, and that will not endear him to coaches and GMs in the NHL, whenever they decide to play. Frankly, I think it sends a poor example to the others to have one of your "leaders" taking a break in the sin-bin, while you work PK. :lol:

However, I agree that the forwards and everybody else has really got to get into the game, get pissed off at losing and get hungry to win. One thing that seems missing in post-game interviews from coaches and players is any emotion about losing, as opposed to "we played hard, but they got the breaks" type drivel. That is very disturbing. :)

If it isn't one thing, than it must be another. Back in the championship game against BC, the Sioux were out muscled and people then said we needed bigger players. Now we have Greene. He plays the same style as past big men, Commodore and O'Connel so maybe he is taking longer than others to adjust to the tippity tap type of calls. But, I for one would be putting him on the ice before a majority of college D-men. Good luck with tearing this one down, I love to hear about people bitching about everything and never ever building the team back up.

If it isn't one thing, than it must be another.  Back in the championship game against BC, the Sioux were out muscled and people then said we needed bigger players.  Now we have Greene.  He plays the same style as past big men, Commodore and O'Connel so maybe he is taking longer than others to adjust to the tippity tap type of calls.  But, I for one would be putting him on the ice before a majority of college D-men.  Good luck with tearing this one down, I love to hear about people bitching about everything and never ever building the team back up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you about the notion of building the team back up rather than just being hypercritical as I may have been in the first post here.

I guess I'm at the point where this is addition by subtraction. I just do not see why he is on the ice in a critical situation when he's known to have this propensity to make stupid penalties.

I will not fall for any "It's the refs fault for calling it" excuse, either as it was just a lazy stupid act. The guy didn't have the puck but he got mugged.