SiouxSports.com Forum

from a gv fan...

captainmorgan417

What can anyone tell me about Winona State?  I see from the stats page that they have a high scoring offense, but a high yielding defense.  I think that plays into our favor, seeing as how they haven't really played any ranked opponents this year...but I was hoping to hear some other insight...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They throw the ball quite well and they have an excellent receiver. When they run, they use a lot of misdirection to compensate for the fact that their o-line is on the small side. Defensively, it does appear that they are quite a bit weaker this year than they were last season. I suspect Grand Valley will try to run the ball and control the clock, and I think they will have success doing that.

It would be a mistake to try cover the good receiver, Samp, one on one. He's not far below Kircus was in ability. I'm not sure they have enough offensive weapons to pick up the slack if GVSU puts their top cover corner on Samp and rolls a safety to his side on every play. I don't believe Winona will be able to run very effectively on the Grand Valley defense, so how much the Lakers can keep Samp under control will be a huge key.

They played UND tough last year, almost beat us at home. I think teams of UND/GVSU's caliber can't help but look past them, even though they say they don't, due to their weak conference, and this affects how they play in some form. Plus, they have a good offense so your D better be on its toes. Given the choice of playing at St. Cloud or Winona, I think I would pick Winona. We will know after Saturday if Winona is for real.

Winona has played UND tough the two times the Sioux played them in the playoffs (2001 & 2003). In 2001, some people questioned why Winona was in the playoffs given the conference they play in. While UND did beat them, Winona scored the most points against the Sioux that year and gave UND problem with the deep ball. Last year, Winona should have won the game but the Sioux pulled out won of their miracle comebacks to win in the last minute.