SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's BB

UND Fan

As for Herbst, don't you think a prospective basketball player would be more likely to sign with the Sioux if the coach LOOKED like a basketball player/coach? Herbst should be recruiting noseguards.

I believe that the University of Utah at one time employed a fantastic coach that should've recruited kids to the buffet line rather than the basketball team.............but he was pretty successful!

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember back in the early 70's that our beloved hockey team was about as low as it could go. After Coach Bjorkman moved on , everybody gave the job to Ned Harkness. In fact the "reliable" GF Herald reported that Harkness had been offered the job. Then Ass't Coach Gasparini was hired and the rest is history. So don't be so quick to write Coach Herbst off yet. He came here wanting to be the next Head Coach and has turned down some D1 ass't jobs to stay here.

I seem to remember back in the early 70's that our beloved hockey team was about as low as it could go. After Coach Bjorkman moved on , everybody gave the job to Ned Harkness. In fact the "reliable" GF Herald reported that Harkness had been offered the job. Then Ass't Coach Gasparini was hired and the rest is history. So don't be so quick to write Coach Herbst off yet. He came here wanting to be the next Head Coach and has turned down some D1 ass't jobs to stay here.

I suspect that the vast majority of the fans who want a coaching change wouldn't be happy if Herbst replaced Glas. I don't see what Herbst has done at UND to possibly be considered a candidate for the head coaching job. And if he has, indeed, turned down dI jobs to stay here, what was he thinking? Would Ben Jacobson be where he is today had he stuck with Richie? People can say what they want about Jake's loyalty, but in retrospect, he was extremely smart to dump Richie in favor of Mac. I can think of about 150,000-plus reasons why it was a good idea. :D

Congrats to Winona State for winning the dII title today. It should provide a certain amount of hope for a lot of teams in the NCC and NSIC as Winona won without an especially athletic backcourt or a great deal of size. They were well-coached, they could shoot the ball, and they played solid defense. I don't believe any of their main contributors were juco or dI transfers, either. Nice job, Warriors.

Congrats to Winona State for winning the dII title today. It should provide a certain amount of hope for a lot of teams in the NCC and NSIC as Winona won without an especially athletic backcourt or a great deal of size. They were well-coached, they could shoot the ball, and they played solid defense. I don't believe any of their main contributors were juco or dI transfers, either. Nice job, Warriors.

Boy , That was fun to Watch!...Congrats to the Warriors!

I don't believe any of their main contributors were juco or dI transfers, either. Nice job, Warriors.

I believe the CBS announcers said one of Winona's starters -- Henderson, I think -- is a transfer from Creighton. Also, they said Winona's center, the Smith kid, was recruited by two mid-major Division I schools but really liked Winona.

I believe the CBS announcers said one of Winona's starters -- Henderson, I think -- is a transfer from Creighton. Also, they said Winona's center, the Smith kid, was recruited by two mid-major Division I schools but really liked Winona.

Upon further review, Henderson is a Creighton transfer. He was Winona's 5th leading scorer on the season. In any event, the point still stands that it shows that relying on juco and dI transfers is not the only way to put together a nationally competitive dII team.

I know UND recruited Jonte Flowers for football, but did we recruit him for basketball, as well? He is a good player.

Lindahl

Interesting note from the Monday Herald regarding the Grand Am tourney over the weekend. Evan Lindahl was division MVP as he and a bunch of former Sioux players won their division. Lindahl also said he had played in a few other tournaments. It sure is interesting how three weeks after the season can play in all these tournaments now, but couldn't practice much during the season which lead him to being out of shape. He also missed games, barely could make it on Thurs-Sat weekends, I heard different times that it was good thing that the NCC was no longer Fri and Sat games because he couldn't of played many weekends. Multiple games on weekends now.....that's quite a quick recovery. :D

Lindahl

Interesting note from the Monday Herald regarding the Grand Am tourney over the weekend. Evan Lindahl was division MVP as he and a bunch of former Sioux players won their division. Lindahl also said he had played in a few other tournaments. It sure is interesting how three weeks after the season can play in all these tournaments now, but couldn't practice much during the season which lead him to being out of shape. He also missed games, barely could make it on Thurs-Sat weekends, I heard different times that it was good thing that the NCC was no longer Fri and Sat games because he couldn't of played many weekends. Multiple games on weekends now.....that's quite a quick recovery. :D

Dagwood's has better training facilities, athletes respond better to cold beer...?

• 2 weeks later...

It will be interesting what affect Glas leaving will have on recruiting. For now, I would guess that Herbst and Johnson will continue to recruit the kids we were after. If we get them fine, if we don't, the new coach will likely have an avenue to find some talent - but that will be difficult at this point.

It would surprise me a great deal if Herbst got the job.

Sioux get a verbal from Harry Boyce from Williston State last night. Boyce is 6-4 and can play any of the 3 outside positions. He averaged 16 pts, 4 rebs, and 4 assists, is a slasher, and is known as a very tough defender. He chose UND over Kentucky Wesleyan and Lynn University amongst others. Hopefully more good news will come today in the form of Jerry Bennett, a 6-7 post man from DMACC whom the coaching staff is very high on and is visiting today and a player many of the top D2 programs have offerred. Today is the last day coaches can see players before the late signing period on Wed.

Sioux get a verbal from Harry Boyce from Williston State last night. Boyce is 6-4 and can play any of the 3 outside positions. He averaged 16 pts, 4 rebs, and 4 assists, is a slasher, and is known as a very tough defender. He chose UND over Kentucky Wesleyan and Lynn University amongst others. Hopefully more good news will come today in the form of Jerry Bennett, a 6-7 post man from DMACC whom the coaching staff is very high on and is visiting today and a player many of the top D2 programs have offerred. Today is the last day coaches can see players before the late signing period on Wed.

I'm not intending to denigrate Boyce at all since I've never seen him play, but considering the relatively high number of Mon-Dak players in the past who haven't lived up to their juco stats once they get to a four-year school, should we be skeptical of the impact he'll have at UND (at least offensively), particularly considering he was only honorable mention all-conference? Or is he being signed more for his defensive abilities?

I'm not intending to denigrate Boyce at all since I've never seen him play, but considering the relatively high number of Mon-Dak players in the past who haven't lived up to their juco stats once they get to a four-year school, should we be skeptical of the impact he'll have at UND (at least offensively), particularly considering he was only honorable mention all-conference? Or is he being signed more for his defensive abilities?

He was definitely recruited for his defense, attitude and leadership qualities. That being said, I agree with your concern about Mon-Dak players. Other than Hunter Berg, we haven't had much success with Mon-Dak players. If Kentucky Wesleyan was recruiting him, that is a good sign.

It would be nice if we could get Bennett - he is to be very talented. We were also hoping to get Jeremy Gibson, a telented 6'5" forward out of a JC in Kansas.

I"m not here to defend Harry, because I have seen him play many times and think he will help out in certain areas, but I do want to make a comment about Kentucky Wess. they are just a former shadow of theirself since being hit with probation. They would take just about anyone who could play right now. The days of KYW dominating D2 hoops is over and will never happen again. They managed to only win 6 or so games last year and the administration won't give them what they need to win again, to scared of the program getting out of hand once again.

I"m not here to defend Harry, because I have seen him play many times and think he will help out in certain areas, but I do want to make a comment about Kentucky Wess. they are just a former shadow of theirself since being hit with probation. They would take just about anyone who could play right now. The days of KYW dominating D2 hoops is over and will never happen again. They managed to only win 6 or so games last year and the administration won't give them what they need to win again, to scared of the program getting out of hand once again.

You do make a very valid comment about Kentucky Wesleyan. They are a big "name" in DII BB but are really struggling right now. They broke too many NCAA regulations and are really suffering for it!

It sounds like Dryburgh and a few others will be waiting to see what transpires with the coaching situation before deciding whether to sign with UND. link. Kruse and Boyce are apparently still committed to UND regardless.

At first glance, this is very disappointing but I suppose it could work to our advantage in that a new coach may have the ability to bring in a couple of talented players with him. If all five of our open scholarships are not taken now, that would give him the flexibility to do so.

Thomas and Mark are going to UND no matter who the coach is. They will both be heading to UND on the last weekend of the month when they will both be playing in the NDSCS alumni game in Wahpeton. They will then travel together to UND, where Mark can visit the campus in person. They are coming to UND no matter what, unless the new coach doesn't want them.

At first glance, this is very disappointing but I suppose it could work to our advantage in that a new coach may have the ability to bring in a couple of talented players with him. If all five of our open scholarships are not taken now, that would give him the flexibility to do so.

Does anyone know if any of the 3-5 JC players who had committed have decided to sign elsewhere?

I don't know about the jucos, but UND has lost Rayfield. link. Northern Iowa certainly seems to be taking their sweet time naming Glas to the job. ??? Hindsight is 20/20, but I really wish Buning wouldn't have been so convinced that he needed to wait until the dI decision was made before hiring a new coach. It's come back to bite him in the butt by potentially causing us to lose an entire recruiting period. :sad:

The official closing date for the UNI job isn't until this Thursday. Unless something unforeseen happens, Rich will likely be down there for an announcement next week.

With signing date having past, I suppose most colleges don't have much scholarship $ available. It will be interesting how many of the guys interested in attending UND will still be available when we finally have a coach named.

The official closing date for the UNI job isn't until this Thursday. Unless something unforeseen happens, Rich will likely be down there for an announcement next week.

With signing date having past, I suppose most colleges don't have much scholarship $ available. It will be interesting how many of the guys interested in attending UND will still be available when we finally have a coach named.

Here's what I don't understand--Ben was promoted March 22. He hired Kyle Green on March 28. Was there an open spot on the UNI staff even before Mac left, and Green had applied for it? If not, why did that process take such a short time compared to this one? I know Green is a former UNI assistant, but I don't see why that should allow for an expedited process, as it wasn't truly hiring from within.