SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux tied for first in the NCC???????????

U2Bad1

I don't know if i like this or not... UNC beat us fair and square.

I get your point, but they beat UND with a QB who may have been academically ineligible to play. Maybe it's square. I wouldn't consider it fair, however.

I've got a feeling UNC is going to have to forfeit those games. The NCAA doesn't look kindly on schools putting players on the field that have eligibility issues. It looks like UNC is going to need to update their compliance department before jumping into Division I.

UND ran into this same sort of thing with the Travis Lueck transfer, but made the smart choice and redshirted him this season.

Any idea when this will be resolved by UNC/the NCAA/the NCC?

The way I read it, I'd be really surprised if forfeiture comes about.

The situation is that he had 3 incompletes which he had to retake at CSU before he could transfer to UNC. Though he took the courses, the transcript that CSU sent over didn't yet include a grade for one of the three, the interior design course.

Cutlip claims that he really took the course and got a grade, so I can't imagine a severe punishment -- it was a simple clerical error (though UNC should have verified his eligibility BEFORE letting him play 3 games).

On the other hand, if it turns out that he didn't really finish that incomplete, then I think there would be a very good chance that the games would be thrown out.

The NCAA won't do anything until they know his real status in that course. In fact, the issue isn't even before the NCAA until UNC decides to self-report it, which they haven't yet. As of today (Wednesday) UNC had not officially been able to confirm the status of the course with CSU.

From an inside source, if it is determined that the kid should not have been playing, the three games in question will be considered losses for UNC. However, the other teams will not be given wins.

Therefore, we really need UNC to win at St. Cloud this weekend.

From an inside source, if it is determined that the kid should not have been playing, the three games in question will be considered losses for UNC. However, the other teams will not be given wins.

Therefore, we really need UNC to win at St. Cloud this weekend.

DMB is correct. Dale Lennon was asked about this on the radio this morning. He said he'd been told not expect to gain a win if UNC has to forfeit.

I can see the point in not rewarding wins to the other teams in a case like this, but this could really hurt the NCC come playoff selection time.

Ok.... UNC forfeits because it won games with an ineligible player. That inelible player had a big part in the wins, but teams like UND and whoever lost to them don't get a win out of a UNC loss??? That seems wrong.

Yeah, you can't really have two losers for a contest. It also seems incredibly unfair for it to be recorded as a loss for UND when there was an ineligible player on the field.

The most common forfeitures are in end of season tournaments, in which the winner of the tourney forfeits the win, but the loser get nothing. I think, however, that regular season games are very different because their outcomes still determine post-season eligibility.

It seems to me that the best solution would be to call it a "no contest", but count it against UNC when determining playoff berths. Unfortunately, the NCC hasn't asked me for my opinion (yet).

Want my cut at an equitable solution?

Team with ineligible player? Win or lose it becomes a loss.

Team they played against? If they won, so what. If they lost, the stats are kept, but the game is wiped from their record like it was never played (no W, no L).

I'd say the right solution is punish UNC with losses for games the guy played in and let those teams that they faced either take the W or nothing (but not an L).

The latest word is that the problem with Cutlip's transcript is that he's below the 2.0 GPA required to play. That's why they've been working so hard to ensure that any courses in which he did well are figured into his GPA.

Apparently now they're trying to get some of his grades from CSU dropped because he left the classes when he was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder (manic depression).

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article.php?sid=11148