SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota Football Expectation Level - 2022 Season and Beyond

Midwestern Hawk

North Dakota Football Expectation Level - 2022 Season and Beyond  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What is your expectation level for North Dakota Football?

• Top 10 FCS Football Team - Top 3 finish in MVFC, a playoff seed, and host a second round playoff game and beyond
    • Top 25 FCS Football Team - Finish in the top half of the MVFC and make the playoffs EVERY year
    • Top 35 FCS Football Team - Finish in the top 2/3 of the MVFC and occasionally make the playoffs and even host a playoff game now and then
    • Top 50 FCS Football Team - Never finish last in the MVFC and hopefully in a "special year" make the NCAA playoff field
    • I have no expectations for UND Football success

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

In English next time.

Anyway, since you don't know SH and Davidson got in through auto-bid and will never ever ever in our lifetime get an at-large. 

Explain how USD and SIU are getting in ahead of UND consistently?  The answer is they aren't.  

USD and SIU got in over UND because we LOST both games head to head.  As was the situation in every game this fall, sans Utah State, UND could have won but didn't.

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

USD has paid Bob Nielson 300K a year for six years and he made the playoffs twice and has a losing record.  UND paid Bubba half that much at the beginning and still pay him significantly less to make the playoffs 3 times and have a winning record.  USD is hardly a hill to die on.  

With Bubba, UND has made the playoffs 3 out of 8 seasons. Not a hill to die on either. But you’re right, Bubba will be leading UND in 2022 regardless. 

11 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

... Bubba will be leading UND in 2022 regardless. 

Bubba had some blunders this year in play calling and time (and time out) management. My expectation is those get fixed in 2022. 

Also, I'd like to see things like false starts and procedural issues dealt with in fall camp long before they show up on the game field. 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Bubba had some blunders this year in play calling and time (and time out) management. My expectation is those get fixed in 2022

Also, I'd like to see things like false starts and procedural issues dealt with in fall camp long before they show up on the game field. 

Mandatory, not sure what it will take, but those things can no longer be tolerated.

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Bubba had some blunders this year in play calling and time (and time out) management. My expectation is those get fixed in 2022. 

Every single fan base (including those 70 miles south of UND) complain about play calling and time managment. It is a constant at every level of football. If anyone thinks it will magically be "fixed" they are going to be disappointed because it isn't always black and white. This isn't saying it can't get "better" but what that means is 100% subjective. 

As for penalties, while there was a spurt where there were some untimely penalties, UND was one of the least penalized teams in the FCS this year (top 10 in fewest penalties and penalty yards per game) and easily the least penalized team during conference play. Again, still room to get "better" but they were actually pretty good as a whole this year in penalties.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Every single fan base (including those 70 miles south of UND) complain about play calling and time managment. It is a constant at every level of football. If anyone thinks it will magically be "fixed" they are going to be disappointed because it isn't always black and white. This isn't saying it can't get "better" but what that means is 100% subjective. 

As for penalties, while there was a spurt where there were some untimely penalties, UND was one of the least penalized teams in the FCS this year (top 10 in fewest penalties and penalty yards per game) and easily the least penalized team during conference play. Again, still room to get "better" but they were actually pretty good as a whole this year in penalties.

Game/clock management is NOT 100% subjective.  The infamous 4th down at -20 and the Timeout coming out of the half at vermilion are NOT subjective.  I would also say that the 4th down “trick play” vs MSU and subsequent bad clock management is not very subjective either.  Some of the rest could be argued in multiple ways, but those instances are just football 101 and are ridiculous.

I agree when it comes to penalties,  UND was pretty good with some untimely penalties early in year, but overall very good.

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Game/clock management is NOT 100% subjective.  The infamous 4th down at -20 and the Timeout coming out of the half at vermilion are NOT subjective.  I would also say that the 4th down “trick play” vs MSU and subsequent bad clock management is not very subjective either.  Some of the rest could be argued in multiple ways, but those instances are just football 101 and are ridiculous. 

Like I said, it can get better. Those are two things that most would agree on over the course of the season. But there are probably half a dozen things that happen each game that plenty of people would disagree on that isn't so black and white. For example, clock management on the final drive of the season, when they still had plenty of time to score and make sure SDSU didn't have any time left. 

• Upvote 1