SiouxSports.com Forum

Bidding on Championships.

The Sicatoka

It would draw better, because the UND women would make it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt GF would ever be given the women's Elite Eight. Non-NCC coaches were complaining when it was in Rochester since that is too close to the NCC schools. I bet that's why Pine Bluff got it for a few years. The NCAA put it somewhere that would be difficult for UND/NDSU fans to get to. Of course, the one problem with this theory is that it would be the first time the NCAA made a decision not based on the almighty dollar. :silly: Then they realized nobody came so they put it close to schools that have support (MN), and now (because of complaining?) it's back in Arkansas.

• 1 month later...

Since it's moderately apropos, someone may have snuck this into one of the D-I threads that I'm astutely avoiding, but it bears mention here:

UND decides not to bid on D-II football title game

Apparently they couldn't find the time to bid:

Thomas said UND, even with expressed support from the Alerus Center, would not have had the time or staffing to submit a 25- to 30-page bid application to NCAA offices by the Dec. 1 deadline and still "do it justice."

"We're stretched so short right now; we're one person short the way it is," Thomas said. "Our staff just rolled their eyes and said, 'Oh, no.'"

Conspiracy theorists take note:

Thomas said the decision against pursuing the Division II title game is not an indication that UND definitely plans to move up to Division I-AA in football.

"That had nothing to do with this. We made this decision a while back ... That never even came up in our discussions," Thomas said.