SiouxSports.com Forum

REA Inc vs UND AD

redwing77

One of the people that I work with is a member of one of the Fighting Sioux Clubs and has season tickets for basketball, football, and hockey. He brought up an interesting comment about the people who run the Ralph.

He claims that the Ralph Inc is starting to try to run UND's Athletic Department and the Sioux boosters are starting to grow upset about it. He says that the waiting list for Sioux hockey season tickets is moving fast as existing members are choosing not to renew memberships. He claims someone is giong to "buck" so to speak pretty quick.

How true is this? Is the Ralph peeps biting off more than they should chew?

There has to be some inside knowledge to this, although I know nothing specific. There has been multiple rumors from many different people. This may have to do with Todd B. possibly getting fired, etc, and Deano looking into other possibilities, along with Roger Thomas as NCC commisioner. There is no doubt many people are upset with REA Inc, look at this message board. There is many upset people with the way things are run, charging for tours, mandatory "donations," the club bars not open to other sioux club members, etc. Why does UND not run/own Engelstad Arena right now? Show the public the numbers of how much the arena made/lost.

I have never claimed to have any inside knowledge of anything when it comes to sioux sports as others always claim to have "inside knowledge". But I can say that I do know people who are part of the FSC who are very upset and know of many other people in the group who are also "pissed off". If UND has any control of its program it should realize this. Weather or not they do something about it or ignore it and worshiop the select few "big donors" is yet to be seen. From what I have heard from these people in the FSC, RT knows about them being upset, we just have to see if he does something about it or worship the REA staff again!!

Of course it could be until next year before we see if he tries to grow some balls and change anything. Aparantly this year is already set up. Wonder if he had any say at-all what happens at UND hockey games this year. He was probably told when and where they were going to happen.

I have heard grumblings as well. The common thread among those I've talked to is that many long time FSC (and predecessor group) members are upset because it is no longer the "club" it once was. It used to be a clique, now its a big organization and can be quite faceless at times. It's frustrating.

REA is the lightning rod for all the controversy, which I guess is appropriate since the building of the arena changed the makeup of the FSC. Plus, it's the home to the flagship of UND athletics. But it's a little unfair all the same. They are managing a world class facility in a small town, with the mandate that it turn a healthy profit. The complaints come with the facility, no matter who's running it.

Ask yourself honestly, would you rather it had never been built? I would not - although I know several people who would say yes and I understand their reasons. The new REA (and BESC and the Alerus as well) means that UND sports is officially big business, and there is something disappointing about that.