SiouxSports.com Forum

Panzer picked up by Columbus

jloos

Blue Jackets pick up Panzer off waivers

The Associated Press - Tuesday, September 07, 2004

COLUMBUS, Ohio

The Columbus Blue Jackets claimed center Jeff Panzer off waivers on Wednesday.

The 26-year-old Panzer was under contract with the St. Louis Blues but has never played in an NHL game. He appeared in 210 American Hockey League games and had 62 goals and 84 assists over the past three seasons. He had 14 goals and 25 assists in 60 games last year for the Worcester IceCats.

Panzer, a native of Grand Forks, N.D., was a four-year letterman at the University of North Dakota under current Columbus associate coach Dean Blais.

Panzer led the NCAA in assists in both his junior (44) and senior (55) seasons at North Dakota and topped the nation in scoring in 2000-2001 as a senior with 81 points.

Now Dean needs to get Karl G. a shot at the team!

I asked the scout from Columbus when he was in town for the World Junior Prelims if Karl G had a chance of playing with Columbus this season. He said the chanes were slim and none. Then he said something to the effect of them signing Artus Irbe as the back up. I told the guy that Irbe was too old and was washed up. I guess that is why they pay these guys the big bucks and we sit in the stands.