SiouxSports.com Forum

Your biggest rival?

GVSU Yooper

from our established conference foes...probably Nebraska-Omaha. From the new members of the NCC - maybe Minnesota Duluth. We've had a great rivalry with them in hockey and they're the newest members of the North Central with a former UND assistant as their head coach. Granted - the NCC is sucking air right now but we're optimistic "motivated" teams like Winona State from the neighboring Northern Sun Conference will upgrade their schollys and join up...

OOT!

To Sioux Me Now - Being a NE-Omaha fan - we have never had a natural rival in the league and we have done just fine. I think UNO gets most up for UN-Kearney and your club. We get fired up for UND bc

1. you are always good

2. I think pat behrns probably feels like he got fired unfairly. Who knows for sure but I suspect he feels that way. Don't know if it is true or not but I am glad he is in Omaha. Done a great job down here.

I hope Winona joins this conf. sometime but don't think they will. If they joined the ncc they wouldn't have an easy path to the playoffs most years but instead would probably only make them about once a decade in this league. I suspect they will choose the path of least resistance and stay put in that cupcake league they are in.

2.  I think pat behrns probably feels like he got fired unfairly.  Who knows for sure but I suspect he feels that way.  Don't know if it is true or not but I am glad he is in Omaha.  Done a great job down here.

I don't doubt that Behrns feels he got the shaft, but of course, he'd be wrong. :p Looking at the situation objectively, it wasn't a case of simply having one really bad year (1985) and then being fired. Rather, one only has to look at how bare the cupboard was when Roger Thomas took the job in 1986 to see that the problems ran far deeper than what happened in '85. RT certainly showed that he was a good coach by what he accomplished at UND, so I think it speaks volumes that it took him roughly four years to get UND back to being one of the elite programs in the NCC after taking over for Behrns. It's hard to imagine now considering the dII power UND has been since the early 90's, but from '85 to '89, UND was an average to below average dII program. If that wasn't Behrns' fault, I don't know whose fault it was.

It's clear that Behrns is a very different coach now from what he was in the early to mid-80's. He's done a good job at UNO, even though I think UNO's post-season struggles are also his responsibility. In any event, UND and Pat Behrns were not a good match, and although I'm sure it hurt his ego to have been fired, it worked out for both parties in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

Judging from the comments coming out of the St. Cloud paper this morning it's pretty clear who they're most concerned about:

St. Cloud State junior running back Matt Birkel compared the experience to playing in the $50 million Alerus Center that the University of North Dakota plays its home games in.

"Seeing the fans coming out of the tunnel, it was just amazing," Birkel said. "You go to UND's facilities, you never thought you'd be part of a program like that and we are now."

"I think that odyssey of Twin Cities kids going to play at North Dakota is going to stop," Odegaard said.

I think most SCSU fans and players would like us to be competitive every year like the UND football program. It is the model for DII football. SCSU aspires to be as good as UND is year in and year out. We want to build a football tradition. SCSU's main rivals are UND, more so in basketball, but people are already talking about the upcoming football game. The UMD rivalry will be good also. (old NIC rival)

I think most SCSU fans and players would like us to be competitive every year like the UND football program. It is the model for DII football. SCSU aspires to be as good as UND is year in and year out. We want to build a football tradition. SCSU's main rivals are UND, more so in basketball, but people are already talking about the upcoming football game. The UMD rivalry will be good also. (old NIC rival)

There's nothing wrong with that. With the size of the school, the proximity to the Twin Cities, and the new facilities, there's no reason SCSU shouldn't be a very good Division II program in the future.

Sounds like St. CLoud had just over 4,000 for their game. That's for the stadium-opener. We'll see how much better attendance gets. I'm guessing a slow decline is in order, once the stadium loses its luster. But I may be wrong.

The place only seats 4200 and the students are not up here yet. I too thought there would be more people there but then again, SCSU fans support for football historically is horrible. Hey, its a start and I can't complain. I have been to game with only 500 fans at Selke. In a town like Grand Forks or Fargo, the state universities are king. Our market is a little different. There are many SJU football fans in town also. Out there they get crowds of 6000-7000 and 3000 of them are students. At the game last night there was maybe 200 students. SJU fans and SCSU fans do not go to each others games. Then you take the lack of football tradition and that does not help either. Morris Kurtz (AD) is a horrible promoter.

Things will get better and crowds will get bigger. I refuse to be unhappy about a crowd of 4000 for the UMC game. I think it was great. I don't know the answers but support will continue to grow if a tradition is built